1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee Time

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts about coffee time in church?

Should it be used as a vehicle to entice people to attend service?:godisgood:

Should it held before SS, between services, after service?

Should coffee be allowed to be consumed during the service?

Other thoughts? :BangHead:

Salty

2. JerryL

JerryL New Member

We have coffee and dougnuts and fruit before service. Extra fellowship time. It seems to work very well and seems to relax people.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

The coffee pots are out in our church during SS. Individual classes might bring in food or they might not, depends on the group.

If it serves to further the fellowship of the group, I see no problem with it. As a tool to attract new members, well, I can't actually see that as much of an attraction.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

We have coffee every Sunday. I have no problem with it and see no reason for coffee to be a ...:BangHead:

Seems there are way more important things to be concerned about in the church.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are commanded to keep watch, and caffeine helps us to do that. As for doughnuts-- hey, don't disdain the hole-y bread of life!

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

No, no, and no.

Before and during Sunday School only. Forget doughnuts! Eat a good breakfast at home! We do have some peppermint candies for the choir just before they occupy the choir loft. If folks start bringing coffee into the worship service, and/or step out for a refill, we are outa there! We'll find a new place of worship!
    :thumbs:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't have a clue where the coffee pots are. My husband teaches 5th grade and I run the media center (don't you dare bring your old cuppa in there!).

I brew a nice pot of starbucks before we go in to serve and we drink it while we eat our cereals.

Now preacher boy's church that he attended in Fort Worth (he's not there any more) had a coffee bar that charged for lattes and other fancy coffees with all the proceeds going to missions. since I only visited, I didn't have to make a decision one way or the other about how I felt about it.

But don't bring your drinks into the Media Center.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Media Center?? Golly, Bitsy!!! Blackbird is jealous!!! All we have at our church is a Library!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We have 30,000 books bb and that's just the beginning. WE are a MEDIA CENTER. :wavey:

Besides, then I'd have to be librarydirector instead of mcdirector

(I didn't name the place, I just organize the stuff. Some ministerial type AHEM most likely named it and didn't ask us worker bees what we thought :saint:. )

#9 mcdirector, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Things have changed in the past 4 decades, ain't they Bitsy!!??? Reason being----in my Elementary school days---if I(Blackbird) were to have walked in to the school's library and popped off to the Librarian that "There are no books in the library----just organized stuff!!!"----she'd sent Blackbird to the Principal's office and he'd gotten a paddlin' with the Principal's "Electric Paddle!!!"----every Principal had one back then, you know!!!!:laugh:

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ahhhhh but the difference is, there is so much more in the Media Center besides books now. We've got videos, audios, machines to play them on, earphones, LCD projectors in the ceilings (we can even have satellite church in there), computers with programming -- it's EXHAUSTING! And church librarians are nicer! Am I going to send you (or your modern day equivalent) to the preacher for a paddlin'?

Besides , you popping in and popping off is probably likely to still get you in trouble even today. (I just checked with Mrs. BB and she said that yes indeed it was :laugh: )

#11 mcdirector, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Would you take coffee into a concert hall?
    Would you take coffee into a court room?
    Would you take coffee into a job interview?

So why would you consider taking coffee into where you worship the King of Kings?

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you take a little shot of grape juice into a concert hall?
    Would you take a little shot of grape juice into a court room?
    Would you take a little shot of grape juice into a job interview?

So why would you consider taking a little shot of grape juice into where you worship the King of Kings?

14. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

So should we infer that you would approve of using coffee for the Lord's Supper?

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No; that ain't what you asked.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Worship ain't a concert.
    Worship ain't court.
    Worship ain't a job interview.

Why would God be offended at our drinking coffee while we worship Him?

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't see what the problem may be. In the following, Paul doesn't scold the Corinthians for eating when they come together. He scolds them for eating up the food while others went without food. He scolds them for getting drunk at what is supposed to be the Lord's Supper. Their behavior toward each other and discernment of the Lord's Supper were bad, not the fact that they had food or drink with them.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we are worshiping, our entire attention should be on the word. I simply find it disrespectful. Just as drinking in a court room, job interview, ect.

Salty

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I agree with you in principle, but I think it depends on the setting. I've been to a lot of Bible studies where people felt free to have coffee. I didn't think that was disrespectful.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

You are all missing the bigger picture, which I am surprised that Bro. HBSMN has not raised. Jesus did not drink the devil's brew of coffee with caffeine. The only godly coffee is decaffeinated. To state otherwise is blasphemy, pure and simple!