1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee Time

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Magnetic Poles, So what does that have to do with the tea in China? HBSMN is no longer on the BB--silly of you to ask him to respond. Want to try again?

#21 Linda64, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Nope. You misread...I said I was SURPRISED he hadn't responded...never asked him to. Although I was not up on the fact that he is no longer around. Guess I missed the memo. It was goon natured chiding, nothing more.

So before you accuse me of silliness...read what I posted. I may be silly sometimes, but this ain't one of them.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Is it ok to have a cup of coffee in your personal worship time?

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, it better be! (or surely I won't be the only one up a creek on that issue!)

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Would you, could you, with a fox?
    Could you, would you, in a box?
    Would you have it here or there?
    Would you drink it anywhere?
    Would you drink it, Sam I am?
    Drink it worshiping the great I AM?

With apologies to Dr. Seuss, now THAT IS silly!

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Actually MP, I think that was quite a nice rendition :applause:

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I think it boils down to legalism, just like wearing Church costumes. Can having a cup of coffee and a doughnut make you any less worshipful? I feel it makes visitors feel more at home when we tell them to go over and get a coffee and doughnut or piece of fruit.

#27 JerryL, Jun 24, 2007
  8. PastorSBC1303

If coffee offends God in coporate worship, then it should also offend him in private worship.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, I'm the only one that commented on having coffee during my personal worship. I wouldn't have a problem with it during corporate worship, but I don't think I could take a cup of coffee (or a bottle of soda) into the sanctuary. That is probably because I was taught not to take food into that particular room. (but I have brought a bottle of water in when I've had a scratchy throat.) We have worshipped in the FH where people were expected to eat. We've had outdoor services. I think the only issue I've got is taking food in the sanctuary. Traditionally we don't take food and drink in there. I don't have a clue what my pastor would do if we all walked in to the service with a cuppa.

(But please do not come into the media center with the books and computers. It's murder on them!)

10. PastorSBC1303

I was raised in a church that it was considered a HUGE no-no to take any drink or food in the sanctuary.

I understand the mindset, and I have even felt the same thing at times. However, we have a pretty hard time supporting it Biblically. And also if coffee offends God...does a cup of water? Does a peppermint candy? Does a bottle for a young child?

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

But it's probably not God we are offending now is it?

Who is offended by the cup of coffee? Well, we know. The choice we have then is to make a decision if we want to keep it the way it is because the sanctuary is a special meeting place and we want to keep it special. Or because it has the best carpet and it's expensive to clean or the biggest room and takes the janitor the longest to clean. OR if we as a corporate body want to start a re-education campaign and weigh that against the pain it will cause some of our members.

12. PastorSBC1303

Exactly!

I have no problem with a church having that "rule", but let's just be honest about it and not make it out like we are offending God in someway. I really don't think God needs or wants us setting human standards for Him and others.

Interesting topic...

13. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Coffee does not belong in the sanctuary.

The sanctuary is just as sacred as the Holy of Holies was to the priest.

The only thing taken into the Holy of Holies was the blood to be sprinkled upon the mercy seat.

Is the Sanctuary supposed to be a place of worship? or a lodge?

14. PastorSBC1303

Scripture please?

15. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Jesus said His Father's House is to be a House of Prayer. He did not say it was to be a coffee and doughnut hall.

16. PastorSBC1303

Thanks, but I was looking for Scripture that said that sanctuary was as sacred as the holy of holies...

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The holy of holies was OT, pre Christ, only accessible by the high priest once a year.

When the veil was torn, Christ gave access to God to all believers 24/7 with or without coffee.

The santcuary is the meeting place, not the holy place. The first church meetings were in homes, there were no sanctuaries. I'm sure drinks and food were probably served.

As Christ said, a time will come when you won't worship on this mountain or any mountain, but you will worship in spirit and in truth.

The real reason for keeping beverages out of the sanctuary is the mess.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

While the Temple was standing and still had significance in God's economy Jesus made that statement. But on this side of the cross, Christians individually and cooperately are now the new temple of God (1 Cor 3:16, 17; 6:19).

In another place Paul says, "In whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit" (Eph. 2:21, 22, NASB). Note, "a holy temple" and "a dwelling of God" refer to believers, not a physical building.

It is sad how we have created a theology for a physical building, calling it "the sanctuary." The Scriptures sanctions no such.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It's not a sanctuary, it's an auditorium, a meeting place.

I wouldn't like to see folks swigging java during a service, but that's a personal thing with me, unsupported by specific scripture.

Is the spirit of God present on Monday when no one is worshipping there?

When the early Christians met in houses, the spirit of God may very well have been present. That doesn't make a house like the Holy of Holies.

Let's don't make a meeting room more than it actually is.

#39 Tom Butler, Jun 24, 2007
  20. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There goes the unbeliever! Can't have a non-Christian come to church if it's going to be like that!