1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Col.2{16}

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Chowmah, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I have no doubts that The Father knows exactly what time it is...

And, obviously, you and your group are in so tight with Our Father that you know without a doubt that your rendering is the only correct one.

So me the Math, show me the Linear Progression from Genesis to today that maintains the exact day of the Week of the Sabbath.

You can't! Because no such Math, no such records exist. Too much water has passed under this bridge to find that single drop that validates your premise.

Far more important than you or I being precisely right about this matter is out heart condition in Jesus Name.

Eph 2:8 For you have been delivered by grace through trusting, and even this is not your accomplishment but God's gift.
    Eph 2:9 You were not delivered by your own actions; therefore no one should boast. (CJB)

Col 2:16 So don't let anyone pass judgment on you in connection with eating and drinking, or in regard to a Jewish festival or Rosh-Hodesh or Shabbat.
    Col 2:17 These are a shadow of things that are coming, but the body is of the Messiah.
    Col 2:18 Don't let anyone deny you the prize by insisting that you engage in self-mortification or angel-worship. Such people are always going on about some vision they have had, and they vainly puff themselves up by their worldly outlook. (CJB)

Gal 3:10 For everyone who depends on legalistic observance of Torah commands lives under a curse, since it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the Scroll of the Torah."
    Gal 3:11 Now it is evident that no one comes to be declared righteous by God through legalism, since "The person who is righteous will attain life by trusting and being faithful."
    Gal 3:12 Furthermore, legalism is not based on trusting and being faithful, but on [a misuse of] the text that says, "Anyone who does these things will attain life through them."
    Gal 3:13 The Messiah redeemed us from the curse pronounced in the Torah by becoming cursed on our behalf; for the Tanakh says, "Everyone who hangs from a stake comes under a curse." (CJB)

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>What drink is targeted in the old testament law that we are forbiddin that now we can drink.

The obvious answer is "animal blood."

3. billwald

billwald New Member

So me the Math,

from http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF12/1272.html

"Caesar's astronomer, Sosigenes, developed the Julian calendar based on the fact that it takes the earth 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds to revolve around the sun. This time was abbreviated to 365 1/4 days, and a calendar year was defined as 365 days, with one "leap day" added every four years to compensate for the lost quarter day."

This might be tough for Baptists . . . consider leap year. Consider the last day of February in leap year. In the week before that day, whatever that day is named, there was a day named "Saturday." The days which were seven chronological days and fourteen chronological days after THAT Saturday are not called Saturday but are called Friday because the week after THAT Friday had 8 days, not 7 days. Thus what ever the day God called "the Seventh Day" when God gave the Law to Moses . . . one can not determine it by looking at a 2011 calendar.

In other words, if God's calendar is a series of seven day sequences since God gave his Law to Moses then Jews, Gentiles, Christians, and Seventh Day people are all in deep doodoo.

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Is the first chapter of revelations speaking of sunday when it mentions the Lord’s day? Or is it speaking about the Day of the Lord? When Jesus returns to set up His kingdom. What is the book of revelation about. Most of it is a picture of events which happen on the Day of the Lord. The day Jesus returns. The scriptures below are speaking of the same exact events that will take place on the “day of the Lord”.

REV.1 [7] Behold, HE COMETH WITH CLOUDS; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of THE EARTH SHALL WAIL because of him. Even so, Amen.[8] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.[9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.[10] I was in the Spirit on THE LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a GREAT VOICE, as of A TRUMPET,

he cometh with clouds - of a trumpet - the Lord's day - a great voice - the earth shall wail

ZEPH.1 [14] The great DAY OF THE LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even THE VOICE of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall CRY THERE BITTERLY.[15] That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a DAY OF CLOUDS and thick darkness,[16] A day of THE TRUMPET and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers

a day of clouds - of the trumpet - The great day of the LORD - even the voice - man shall cry there bitterly

See how these two scriptures are speaking of the same exact event. Pretty simple to see now that the Lords day is not sunday but another way to say the Day of the Lord. What a great day it will be (even though im not to look foward to this day of darkness)

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The Greek text when speaking of the escatalogical "day of the Lord" ALWAYS uses the common term "kurios" NEVER "kuriakos." The term "kuriakos" was well known by every person in the Roman Empire as the technical term for the day set apart for Emperor worship where they approached an altar one Sunday out of every month with a pinch of incense to offer upon the altar with the words "Ceasar is Lord."

John was on the isle of Patmos most likely for refusing to offer up such incense and proclaim "Ceasar is Lord." Both Paul and John refused to ascribe this term to Ceasar and the things of Ceasar but applied it to Christ as "Lord" (1 Cor. 11:20; Rev. 1:10).

6. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

So what you are saying Doc is that on some sunday not during the Day of the Lord the events below will happen

he cometh with clouds - of a trumpet - the Lord's day - a great voice - the earth shall wail

And then during the Day of the Lord the below events will surely happen as descibed in Zeph.1

a day of clouds - of the trumpet - The great day of the LORD - even the voice - man shall cry there bitterly

I gotta believe your wrong. I dont think Jesus is coming two times with these events happening twice.

I gotta believe these events happen only once and Zeph.1 tells us its the "Day of the Lord"

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

So, you are not part of any denomination. Do you attend church at all?

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Do you have an "reading" issue? Are you legally blind? I just said in the clearest terms that "the Lord's Day" in Revelation 1:10 is a translation of Greek terms that NEVER are used when speaking of the eschatalogical "day of the Lord." Even the English is not the same "The Lord's day" is not "The day of the Lord" in English or Greek. They are different phrases in English and in Greek. They are not synonyms. They do not refer to the same thing. They are as distinct and different as day and night. The phrase "The Lord's Day" represents a Greek phrase well known to every person in the Roman Empire for SUNDAY when every person in the Roman Empire worshipped Ceasar as "Lord."

9. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

No but ive been called legally blond

10. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

I live in the boonies more or less and there are few choices in church goin. The Word says do not forsake the coming together as some do but to attend a church that teach things contrary to the Word wouldnt be good. As for the coming together with fellow believers i dont believe i would find a better sort of people in a church than ive found here

11. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Been thinkin Mr Snow
    I guess if ya need put a label on me you can call me a Messy. Not sure of all their beliefs but their beliefs that im familiar with seem to be in line with mine

12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Gettin back to Col.2, there are many who claim that the sabbath was a shadow of Christ. But...what do the scriptures say about the shadow

COL.2 [14] BLOTTING OUT THE HANDWRITING OF ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.[16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:[17] WHICH ARE A SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME; but the body is of Christ.

The handwriting of ordinances has been blotted out. They were the shadow of things to come. What do the “many” claim the shadow was? They say the shadow was the new moons, feast days and Gods sabbath day. What do the scriptures say?

HEBREWS 9 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Theres the shadow of Col.2 that was blotted out. The meat and drink offerings found in verse 10. The handwriting of ordinances. It was not Gods sabbath day as the “many” claim.

HEBREWS 10 [1] For THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with THOSE SACRIFICES WHICH THEY OFFERED YEAR BY YEAR continually make the comers thereunto perfect.[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.[3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.[4] For IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.

Hebrews 10 says it all. The shadow of the law was the offerings (the meat and drink offerings). That only makes sense.

NUMBERS 19 [2] This is the ORDINANCE OF THE LAW which the Lord hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:

Before Christ the red heifers lived their lives in fear, thinking they might be next offering. They need not worry no more.

JOHN 6 [55] For my flesh is MEAT indeed, and my blood is DRINK indeed.

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

More proof

COL.2 [14] Blotting out THE HANDWRITING OF ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.[16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:[17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Jesus blotted out “only” the handwriting of the ordinances.

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] And the statutes, AND the ordinances, AND the law, AND the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

The “many” have come in the name of Christ and would have you to believe the law, the ordinances and the commandments are all lumped together as one. They do this so they can point out a scripture which talking about the law of circumcision (which was nailed to the cross) and then apply that scripture to the ten commandments. But as you can see in above scripture, the ordinances, the law, and the commandments are all separate. And it was not the law nor the ten commandments that Jesus nailed to the cross. It was the law contained in the ordinances.

EXODUS 12 [11] And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is THE LORD'S PASSOVER. [12] For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord. [13] And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. [14] And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it A FEAST BY AN ORDINANCE FOR EVER.

Theres one of the feast days (holy days) which are to be kept by ordinance. The Lords passover

NUMBERS 28 [16] And in the fourteenth day of the first month is THE PASSOVER OF THE LORD. [17] And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten. [18] In the first day shall be an holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work therein: [19] But ye shall offer a sacrifice made by fire for a burnt offering unto the Lord; two young bullocks, and one ram, and seven lambs of the first year: they shall be unto you without blemish: [20] And their MEAT OFFERING shall be of flour mingled with oil: three tenth deals shall ye offer for a bullock, and two tenth deals for a ram; [21] A several tenth deal shalt thou offer for every lamb, throughout the seven lambs: [22] And one goat for a sin offering, to make an atonement for you. [23] Ye shall offer these beside the burnt offering in the morning, which is for a continual burnt offering. [24] After this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt offering, and his DRINK OFFERING.

Here we see the Lords passover and the meat and drink offering which are in the handwriting of that ordinance

HEBREWS 9 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For whoever would like to give their thoughts.

Rev 21:1 ¶ And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. -------through
    Rev 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you all. Amen.

Does this take place before, on or after the day of the Lord as spoken of many, many times in the old testament and a few times in the new testament?

I am only looking for humble opinions.

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Rev 20 you have the 1000 year Millennium.

In Rev 21 you have the New Heavens and the New Earth - that is created at the end of the Lake of Fire event - recorded at the end of Rev 20.

This "New Heavens and New Earth" phrase is directly from Isaiah 66.

Isaiah says that in that New earth "all mankind will come before Me to Worship - from Sabbath to Sabbath and from New Moon to New Moon".

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Matt 7 Christ said "Judge not that you be not judged" -- this is an OT pre-cross teaching --- and it is still valid in the NT.

in Christ,

Bob

17. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

God wrote the ten commandments upon stone which Moses broke in pieces. They were regiven by God to Moses, but MOSES WROTE THEM the next time and Moses WROTE all the rest of the Old Covenant. Hence, the "handwriting of ordinances" refers to the whole Old Covenant written by Moses.

Paul is explicitly pointing out the whole ceremonial system of laws (meat, drink, holy day, new moons, and sabbaths) were abolished. Anyone reading Colossians 2:16 can easily see that you simply are perverting the text to make it fit your own presumptuous errors. The sacrificial system was also part of the ceremonial system (Heb. 10:1-4). The temple, with its whole ceremonial system was abolished. The ceremonial feasts in Leviticus 23 was a shadow or the Sabbatical system was abolished - the seventh day sabbath, the seventh year sabbath the 49th and 50th year sabbatical years were abolished. Proof? Do you observe every seventh year LAND SABBATH? Do you observe the 49th and 50th year Sabbaths? Whole SEVEN sabbatical cycle has been completed in Christ and thus abolished.

Proof? Find a single solitary congregation in the book of Acts or in the epistles or any other New Testament book observing their worship on the Jewish Seventh day Sabbath? NADA - ZILCH - NONE! All you can find is Paul going to the Jew first to witness on the Sabbath days when the Jews met for worship! You can't find a single solitary CHURCH WORSHIP SERVICE conducted on a Jewish Sabbath.

#37 Dr. Walter, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  18. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Hence, not according to scripture

19. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

quatro four quady......quady?

ACTS 18[1] After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;[2] And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them.[3] And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers.[4] And HE REASONED IN THE SYNAGOGUE EVERY SABBATH, and persuaded the Jews AND THE GREEKS.

ACTS 13[13] Now when Paul and his company loosed from Paphos, they came to Perga in Pamphylia: and John departing from them returned to Jerusalem.[14] But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and WENT INTO THE SYNAGOGUE ON THE SABBATH DAY, AND SAT DOWN.[15] And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on.[16] Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

ACTS 13 [42] And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.[43] Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.[44] And THE NEXT SABBATH DAY CAME ALMOST THE WHOLE CITY TOGETHER TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD.

ACTS 17[1] Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:[2] AND PAUL, AS HIS MANNER WAS, WENT IN UNTO THEM, AND THREE SABBATH DAYS reasoned with them out of the scriptures,[3] Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.[4] And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.

I already know your gonna say Paul and the gentiles werent there to keep the sabbath. But that i guess is the only thing you could say and yet i will believe what the scriptures say

Well Dr Walter
    As my manner is....theres a Wednesday night tv show that i always watch at 8. See ya later

20. billwald

billwald New Member

>God wrote the ten commandments upon stone which Moses broke in pieces. They were regiven by God to Moses, but MOSES WROTE THEM the next time and Moses WROTE all the rest of the Old Covenant. Hence, the "handwriting of ordinances" refers to the whole Old Covenant written by Moses.

Then as a Christian do you observe all 613 laws for/by yourself or do you ignore all 613?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.