1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Collage Homeschooling

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by John3v36, Aug 12, 2011.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have a friend who sent me this link (below) and told me the son received a 4 degree in two years at a fraction of the cost.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.collegeplus.org/tf/8464 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I been told if it to good to be true it more than likely it is. Have y’all ever heard of this place before what can you tell me about it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It also said you can do collage home school credit. But I don’t want to start something if it not worth it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please help:saint:[/FONT]

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the FAQ page. It should answer most of your questions. It appears CollegePlus is a coaching service for students enrolling in Thomas Edison State College

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the "Program Overview"; it's a program to mentor/tutor you to pass CLEP/DANTES tests.

I took 7 of those tests some years back, without studying; managed to pass 4 of them. The DANTES tests were pass/fail at the time; don't know if that still holds true. Those 4 tests awarded me 12 college credits (equivalent to one semester).

I took mine through the military, so it didn't cost me anything. Not sure how much your local school or testing center would charge.

I certainly recommend taking the tests, because I believe in credit for knowledge. Just not sure I'd recommend paying these guys to tutor me when I can get study guides for free at the local library.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It costs about 80 dollars for the test plus about 40-50 dollars for an administration fee.

DANTES tests (now known as DSST) are good for getting college-level elective credit at most schools, but the CLEP program may be more beneficial for someone trying to get out of general education courses.

I do recommend, however, always checking with the institution you intend to attend before signing up for exams. Colleges sometimes will accept some tests and not others. (I'm a DSST proctor at my college, and we always have our students check with the registrar.)

I received 3 hours world history, 3 hours US history, 3 hours US government, and 3 hours microeconomics through CLEP right before I began my freshman year of college. I took Comp I and II at the local community college as dual credit in high school and passed the AP Calculus AB exam. Basically, when I sat foot on campus as a 17 year old freshman, I already had 22 hours of college credit. I was able to graduate a semester early because of this, even with only taking 12 hours in my last term.

I HIGHLY recommend using CLEP if you can.

5. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't heard of that one, but I can tell you from working in Student Life and Development in a University is that one of the best ways to go about earning High School and College credit at the same time comes from Dual Enrolling. A lot of community colleges and some universities allow the opportunity for students to take college level classes while earning both college and high school credit. From an online standpoint I think Liberty Online academy (affiliated with Liberty University) http://www.LibertyOnlineAcademy.com/ offers that as well.

The problem with exam based credit earning is that some Universities and Colleges are stingy with the type or amount of credits they will give for them. So you will need to check with a university advisor regarding that.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's some places where you can just pay $100 and get a bachelor's degree nearly instantly, based on "life experiences". That must be even better right? :thumbsup:

7. VioletB

VioletB New Member

I thought this might a good place to ask a question about sunday school lessons. I have been given the job of finding a good curriculum for our church. Has anyone used the ones at www.gospellight.com?

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

First of all, I notice that this was your first post on the Baptist Board, so a very warm welcome!

This forum of the Board is about home schooling, that is, parents choosing to educate their children at home instead of sending them to a state-run or privately-run school. So it is probably not the best place to ask about Sunday School materials. The Youth Forum or the All Other Discussions Forum might be better.

Also, you would need to start a new thread about it, rather than posting your message in a thread which is about something else. (This thread is about home education at college level). You'll soon get to know your way around! To start a new thread, just go to the appropriate forum, and click on the button marked "NewThread" on the left of the screen, near the top.

I hope that is helpful.

9. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

thanks
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.collegeplus.org/tf/8464[/FONT] Does the earning High School and College credit Dual Enrollment thing. We have enrolled my 17 son in collage and are look at enrolling my next three in the Dual Enrollment program. I will com back and report how it is working out so other will know.

10. VioletB

VioletB New Member

Thank You for the advice. I just checked out the youth forum.