1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College & Career Class S.S. Name!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by College_Gurl, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Persistence is a great attribute in a believer. Just remember that it is not always "quitting" to find a church that is a better fit for you.

2. College_Gurl

College_Gurl New Member

Can you explain what you are trying to say? I'm not getting what you are meaning. My brain is really not functioning well today. Has nothing at all to do w/ staying up way to late studying, or doing 9 million web exploration for Gov!!! :BangHead:

thanks

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I really think I can help here. :D

We were in a church - a Presbyterian church - one of the few that was still sticking firm to Scripture and not allowing any of this other 'liberal' stuff that was happening in the Presbytery. We fought tooth and nail against so many things.

Anyway, there were people there who were believers, believed the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, who loved the Lord with all their hearts but there seemed to be no life there. I don't know what it was. We tried to do what we could (didn't want to abandon ship without trying to help everyone else too), but it just wasn't happening. We were losing people left and right for a variety of reasons. There were a couple of indicators to DH and I that we did not want to continue to attend this church but we loved the poeple there and were really struggling. Finally, a dear friend of ours said to my husband, "Do you think that there are true believers in this church?" and DH said "Yes". He then said "Well, did you ever think this is how they like it and that it's OK to leave it this way?" What a lightbulb moment!! That really gave us the 'permission', if you will, to leave the church and find another church home that would better fit our family, our worship style and our needs. So DH went searching and found what he thought to be the church for us. We became members a year later.

It's now 11 years later. The other church is still struggling but they stand firm with the Lord. Many families have left :( but there are others who are happy there. There was nothing more we could do. HOWEVER, since then, my DH and I started a college ministry, he began leading worship and 5 years ago, he went on staff as a pastor and was ordained in January of '06. We have seen no less than 7 marriages start out of the college ministry and now these couples are beginning their own families in the Lord. We have had 5 enter the ministry after discipling with DH, and we've seen countless begin a walk with the Lord. My children grew up in solid children's ministries and are now leaders in the youth group - and started a Bible club at school. We've made friends who will be friends for life - without a doubt - and we've been ministered to more than anyone else had ever done. We went through a very tough trial 2 years ago with my DH falling off the roof but we never felt alone - even after a misdiagnosis, surgery too late and now the long-term ramificaitons of that.

We did NOT give up on the other church. We prayed and struggled so much but God was leading us elsewhere - we were just way too stubborn to listen. LOL. So, my advice is to get into some deep searching prayer. As God to show you just where HE wants you to be. If you must leave, you are not giving up but moving on. It's OK to do.

Ann

4. College_Gurl

College_Gurl New Member

Ok, I get what you guys are saying. I have got into deep searching prayer & was there for a very long time. During that period I grew very agrivated w/ God, b/c I wanted answers & it had already been a long time. God just wanted me to set back & wait on His timing. When I did the answer was obvious! I realized that I'm not staying at this church, b/c I feel obligated to help the class or church. I figured out the answer when I started visiting other churches, & they all felt weird to me. You might say well they will to you get use to the church. Well, it was a different type of feeling, I guess you could say. And, when I go to my church, I feel "well, words really can't express what I feel when I'm at my church." I just now know that I'm not just at my church to help them (which in a sense I also am), but that is just where I feel God wants me right now. To tell you the truth I really don't know why but he does, & that's all that matters!

Thank you guys for explaining & helping with this!!

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, young singles can sometimes act kind of "nutty." And I'm assuming it's "mixed" - for gilrs and guys. Therefore, "mixed nuts."