1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College Football News.com Bowl Projections

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like some more Kool Aid please...:D

BTW, I wonder if our Ole Miss brethren are still as happy that they have Coach O instead of Cut?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No. Given that there are rumors circling about possible recruiting violations, they are not happy with Coach O. However, the ones who were in favor of firing Cut are still in favor of it. Just like at UT before, Cut wore out his welcome. His firing at Ole Miss was unjustified, but the legions of the miserable at Ole Miss got their wish.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Stats don't lie

:tongue3: OK, everyone wants to be the “winningest” team in college football. I found this site at:

http://football.stassen.com/

It allows you to search the full database of teams from 1869 to 2005 and compare them.

Like all statistics you can bend them around a lot. If you just look for IA wins by team from 1869 to 2005 the top 5 are Michigan (849), Notre Dame (811), Texas (803), Nebraska (801), and a tie between Alabama and Ohio State (774). My Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets come in at 20th (636 wins).

TomVols said

If you redo the stats for 1925 to 2005 stassen says Tennessee is second with 627 wins and Alabama is 1st with 632. If we make it 1926 to 2005 then we have a tie for 1st with Alabama and Tennessee both with 622 wins. If we make it 1927 to 2005 then Tennessee finally pulls out ahead with 614 wins vs Bama’s 613. If we go to the 1928 to 2005 data then Bama goes ahead again 608 to 606. So to sum it up, the only way you can claim Tennessee as the winningest program in the nation is if you use the 1927 to 2005 data. Any other combination and they drop down.

So, If Michigan is your team you can claim they are the winningest program and use 1869-2005 stats. Oklahoma fans, they are the winningest team in college football if you use 1935-2005. Notre Dame fans, you have the winningest team in college football from 1900 to 2005. Nebraska was the winningest program from 1951 to 2005. Florida State is the winningest program from 1985-2005. If you really twist the statistics you could make outrageous claims like Yale is the winningest program (they were 1869-1900). The only way I could get Georgia Tech as the winningest team was to use 1914 to 1921 but for those years Georgia Tech had more wins than any other team (59) so obviously Tech is the best team in college football.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hadn't heard about it. What players were involved? As bad as they are now, significant punishment could make them the doormat of the SEC for 10 years.
    Or just too proud to admit they were wrong?
    You've said that before but I really didn't see alot of people on the chat boards complaining alot about his potential rehire. Maybe they realized what they had or something?
    Yeah. I wonder what in the world they really expect. They live in a state with not all that much home grown talent that is split at least 4 ways with Memphis, USM, MSU, and UM. If I am not mistaken, Ole Miss' stadium is one of the smallest in the conference. To get there from outside, you basically have to fly over SEC powerhouses with almost double the stadium capacity.

I can't say I'm unhappy with the way it turned out but you have to wonder what they were thinking.

I hope Cut stays. He'll almost certainly have opportunities to leave though.