1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College Football, Week 3

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Sep 18, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

"Separation Saturday" was a wild one. The Refs and Instant Replay couldn't get seperated from controversy (ask Auburn and LSU, Oregon and Oklahoma, Tennessee and Florida). Meyer and Florida finally win a big one on the road. Lloyd Carr's seat cools. Miami's Larry Coker's seat heats up. Louisville continues to roll despite injuries. USC continues to roll. Ohio State struggles early but pulls away. What are your thoughts?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Notre Dame's fall from grace...man, if they lose 4 or 5 more games like that, they might even be out of the national championship hunt...

Didn't understand Auburn's defensive scheme on LSU's final drive. If Russell had managed the clock better (there were 2 plays he should have thrown the ball away), LSU would have had a couple of serious cracks at the end zone.

I haven't heard how Louisville's QB is. If he's out for a while, I expect reality to hit if he's not back by the West Virginia game.

I think Georgia has a good track to make some noise this year. Their defense (admittedly not playing top-tier folks) has been quite impressive.

If Tennessee can't start running the ball, it's gonna be a long season. When is their hoss Foster supposed to be full strength? They need him bad.

I don't look for USC to be challenged until Oregon (and maybe not then). Cal probably won't put up much (overrated IMO). Depending on which Notre Dame shows up, they might not be challenged until a bowl game.

Many have already conceded Ohio State will run the table. All of the sudden, that Michigan game in a couple of months looks like a lot of fun.

The worst call of the week IMO was the Oregon/Oklahoma game. The refs blew the onside kick call badly.

Florida State is overrated. They should be 1-2, maybe 0-3. They have a softer than normal schedule (for them), but they in no way will contend for a national championship. Their schedule might let them sneak into a BCS game, but I still think they'll slip up too much to have that happen.

I don't see Florida staying at their current ranking for long. After playing Kentucky this next week (who are merely mediocre instead of awful), UF has a tough stretch--Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia. Can't see them doing that stretch 4-0.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The call in the Oregon/OU game was horrible. There is no excuse to not get this call right with instant replay.

I do have a question for the UT fans on the board. What is up with the defensive guy who they kept making a big deal about playing his last game for UT? How and why was he healthy enough to be allowed to play in one game, but is not going to play in the remainder?

As of right now I would have to say I think we will see a USC and Ohio St national championship. Auburn may be able to run the table, and end up in the same situation as a couple years ago.

Should be fun.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Brohm is expected to be back by the WVA game. His backup looked good.
    UT ran well against Cal and AFA, but no Foster meant you had Hardesty (RS F with a bum knee), Coker (RS F who is in the dog house for fumbles in practice) and Yancey (a walk on) thanks to other injuries. Add that to the fact that FLA's front seven was the best they've had in eeons and it's not pretty.
    Justin Harrell had (I forget the complex name of the injury) a torn bicep that required surgery. Docs said one more game and that's it. No further damage could be done but if he wants it to be rehabbed in time for combine, then he would have to have surgery by the end of the month (He had it yesterday and it was a success). He wanted to play one more game, especially an important game against a rival. Shows his heart. As a junior last year, he was projected as a late first or early second round NFL pick. He came back to play one more year of college football. Good kid, good student, knows that "team" means. College football needs more like him.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

IT was definitely one of the two or three worst calls of the day, and you're right: no excuse not to get it right with replay. Why do coaches even have a challenge if "every play" is supposedly reviewed? This is a farce. Some of the plays in the UT-FLA game should've been reviewed, and some that were were so cut and dried I don't see why they wasted the time (Brett Smith's knee going down at the one yd line, for instance). NCAA IR is turning into a joke, and I used to be one of its biggest supporters.
    Agreed.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why I see no problem with college athletes foregoing their senior year if they are most likely going to be drafted in first (or high second) round. IMO, in football, the risks of permanent injury are too high. If you go pro and make a few million but are injured, you'll have the money to go back and to finish the degree. If you are injured in college, you may not see a dime.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Some people take out insurance policies against injury.
    It's definitely a calculated risk. The player that goes pro and has a career ending injury in camp is out of luck, unless you're talking about someone who got a huge signing bonus. A lot of people have helped their stock by playing the senior season. There can be instances of pro and con both ways.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The senior season is the best bet for probably all but a handful of athletes.

Sometimes, the senior season can hurt you. Matt Leinart, for example, would have probably been drafted earlier (and with more pay) if he had gone pro after his Heisman-winning junior year. Of course, he did not get injured during that year, so in the long run, it probably won't matter other than a couple million lost .

But when you have athletes that have to scrape by with very little money as they are playing through college, whenever you have a realistic chance to go pro early--I say take it.

But for most, they should stay the full four years (five if they redshirt) to work on their skills and to get a degree if possible.

9. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Checking in from Oklahoma. I have heard enough about the OU call to last me a life time. No doubt it was a horrible call and Oklahoma should be thankful for the call for it has taken the fans eyes off the fact that OU gave up over 500 yards of offense to the Ducks. Face it, had OU's defense been doing what we were led to believe they were capable of doing there would have been no reason for an onside kick.

With that out of my system :saint: I will say the call did cost OU the game but it was not the first time a call has cost a game and it won't be the last. You can bet any official that makes a close call in an OU game in the future will remember the Ducks, sounds a little like the Alamo. Remember the Ducks! :smilewinkgrin: :tongue3: :type: