1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colorado Woman Charged/ Link to Texas Raid.

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by The Scribe, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Oh no they haven't broken any laws, pologamy isn't illegal, sex with minors isn't illegal.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No, "Bold red" was for the clearest contrast I can come up with, to differentiate the words I was inserting from your post, that I was 'quoting'. (Whether what I opposted was true or not, was not determined by nor was I attempting to falsely bolster my statements, or any "Red Letter Edition.) Had I only answered at the end, instead of answering in multiple places, I would not have embolded the sentence, unless for emphasis, and would definitely not use "red", as "black" is easier to see, at least on my computer screen.

However, I am going to disagree, as to whether "there is no evidence that thhese (sic) people violated any laws".Polygamy happens to be against the statute law of Texas. I believe it is also against the law of every other state in the United States, but cannot actually prove this, specifically. This group openly both advocated (no problem, there, you can 'advocate' anything you choose) and practiced (Big problem, there!) polygamy. Hence any were in violation of the law, of the state of Texas, with the practice. FTR, the LDS no longer endorses, practices, or condones polygamy, and considers it against 'church doctrine', and is not affiliated with the Eldorado group, in any way, other than some early church history.

Second, the group did obviously practice and promote underage marriage. Regardless of your summation of my post. It is irrelevant as to whether or not one could contract a marriage, at a younger age than 16, absent a court order, in another state. In fact, a female can be legally married (monogamously, with parental consent) as young as 16 in a few states, including Texas, but only by court order, if younger. Get it?

A 15 year old cannot legally marry in Texas, unless approved by a judge, and then only monogamously. Any female (or male) who is married under the age of 16 has broken the law of Texas, by definition. Last time I checked, Eldorado was located in Tom Green County, Texas, hence Texas laws do apply, here. Were one to be married, legally, in another state, I would guess that that marriage would probably be recognized in Texas, but that is not a guarantee.

FTR, I quoted your posts exactly as written. I made no accusations; I "jumped on" no one, that I noticed; nor did I come to any conclusions about that situation, except to note that this situation "has proved to be a big time mess and a full-time headache, for a lot of people."
    Do you not agree, here?

A religious sect is being scrutinized by the world, and the State of Texas, which it obviously does not want. (Is there any evidence that any members of this sect are asking the court for permission to marry any 14 and 15 year old females? No?? somehow, I didn't think so.)

A judge is being persented with an extremely complex case (with several hundred lawyers and 'advocates'), which would tax the wisdom of Solomon, and the collective legal jurisprudence of Blackstone, Marshall, Holmes, and Taney, simultaneously, and which she would rather not have. (Yet she has chosen to deal with it, for it is in her jurisdiction, and no one else in the state is any better qualified or able to handle this "fiasco". Do you think she really wants to deal with this "big time mess"? NO!?!?? 'Again'!? Hmmm!)

The state of Texas is suddenly attempting to handle the logistics of having to house, investigate, care for, clothe and feed more than 500 women and children, on less than a week's notice, which is "a king-sized headache", in and of itself. (This would, no doubt, surely be a lot of fun, hunh!?! ) :rolleyes:

So, as they used to say in the old Star-Kist commercial, "Sorry, Charlie!"

BTW, there is an old legal adage that says, "Bad cases make bad laws!"

I suspect you're gonna' see a bunch of bad ones, enacted, because of this event.

Ed

#22 EdSutton, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.
    But once the religion espouses something that is directly contravening a country's laws, the enforcers of that country have every right to step in.
    In the LDS' case the law violated is that of bigamy, not to mention polygamy.

If the one who officiated a second marriage is a person authorized by law to officiate in marriage ceremonies, and whose signature seals the contract as much as those of the marrying parties, then that second marriage is bigamous, and the officiating party is equally guilty assuming he knows of the first marriage.

I posed some questions similar to this in another thread.

What happens if a Muslim who has four wives in his country, which his religion allows, immigrates to America ?

Will this monogamous society and culture with its monogamous laws, allow him to bring his three wives with him because that is what his religion allows him ?

Or will this country refuse entry to the three wives ?

Similarly, if the state of Texas looks the other way with regards to the alleged polygamous practices of this cult, how will it deal with a natural born American who converts to Islam, and marries four wives, because his religion allows that ?

Will the enforcers step in and separate the husband from his wives, or incarcerate the husband and his second, third and fourth wife ?

4. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Acts 5:29 (KJV)
    Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Romans 13:1 (KJV)
    Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

The government can say what they want. They contradict scripture all the time. We are to obey God rather than men. Anyone that follow's the laws of man, disobeys God.

Here's something interesting. ;)

IRS Tax Is Illegal

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those verses are not talking about polygamy and you know it.:laugh:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Saw this morning on the news, an attorney for the group admits marraiges of girls as young as 14. Any marriage after the first one is not legal in Tx, so they are not legally married, just got girls moved in for sex. So they aren't even real marriages. If there is a girl of 16 or younger who is pregnant the father of the baby must not be more then 3 yrs older then her or it is considere statory rape.
    These things are against the law. And living together without marriage and rape are against scripture too.

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On one Scripture you have "obey God rather than men", and in another you have "be subject unto the higher powers.......the powers that be are ordained of God".

Now, while the Bible does not explicitly or implicitly condemns plural wives in the Old Testament, and the New Testament seems to imply one wife for one man, and we Christians follow New Testament principles, plus given you statement about the government, are you saying that the LDS is a legitimate Christian religion in accordance with Scriptures, and they should follow the dictates of their conscience according to their Christian religion, and forget about being natural born citizens of a country with laws about marriage, bigamy, and polygamy and child abuse ?

Now that I am interested in having the courts of law uphold, but only because my wife and I, being poor people and simple wage earners, owe the IRS money.:laugh:

You know, there is a book I was reading at my son's place in Maryland, and forgot to borrow from him to take home here to Western New York, and it's titled "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

Very interesting book.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So many of the children do not have birth certificates, if a man becomes contrary to the teachings of the sect the wife and children are taken away from him and given to another. This cult is disgusting and needs to be disbanded. Thank God no more children will be subjected to it.

#28 Revmitchell, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  9. donnA

donnA Active Member

A wife can be moved from one husband to another, good grief, thats even more horrorable.
    To raise children like this, in such utter subjection they fear eternal hell if they disobey the garbage taught is abuse.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm learning a lot of new English words today.

From freeatlast: tramatic, or was it trimatic ?
    From revmitchell: disbanned.
    From donnA: horrorable.
    '
    I love this board !:wavey:

11. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

The powers that be is not the corrupt government.

The government, unless it's willing to enforce all Biblical laws has no right to tell them anything. Except not to abuse the women and children. Also, forced marriage would be like holding a hostage and rape.

The government will not enforce multiple people living together, orgies, swingers, premarital sex, teen sex (all underage sex should be illegal), and so on.

They can't pick and choose what they like from the scriptures. It's all or nothing.

1 Timothy 3:2 (KJV)
    A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Titus 1:6 (KJV)
    If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

1 Corinthians 7:2 (KJV)
    Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

The verse doesn't say more than one. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.