1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colossian 2:16-17 confirms the Sabbath Christian!

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are many cases where the NT authors use the term "anyone" to mean "anyone in the church" or "anyone among the people of God". The reason for limiting it in that way - is because Christian ALREADY don't listen to PAGANS. In fact these Christians were themselves pagans at one time - and had to STOP listening to Pagan authorities LONG before they ran into false teachers WITHIN the church or within Bible believing people of the ONE true God.

I think we both agree there.

In Christ,

Bob

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks Bob for keeping our discussion up. Time is very little there for it. I feel this text is VERY important for a Biblical understanding of the NT's Sabbath teaching, so will be very fruitful to unraival to its true consequences.
    You write here as had there been a very long history behind the Church when it received this Letter, which opinion I believe you will have to reconsider. You also think as were this Paul's Letter to the Galatians where he deals with the CHURCH that RETURNS to its former pagan practices. That implies definite time to have elapsed since the start of that Church but obviously could not have been very long.
    In Colossians' case it looks like a much younger Congregation, and clearly in a quite different milieu than in Galatia. Here the Church had to face the Helenistic WORLD and its subtleties like "philosophy", "wisdom", "first principles", "power", "dominion" etc. These manifested in the WORLD through ascetecism and hermit-life which THREATENED to penetrate the (infant, young) Church. The Church it was supposed would gain by adopting things from the great world, and Christianity would only be so much the better for it.
    What though is of greater significance in theis Letter is that Paul has NO word of criticism against this Congregation, but in tis Letter expresses himself more positively towards the Church than in any of his other Letters to the Church. Verses 16-17 must be appreciated in line with this fact: Paul does NOT castigate the Church but encourages the Church in exactly what she finds herself busy doing: in "celebrating" -"in eating and drinking" Jesus Christ and the Faith of Jesus Christ -a "feasting OF (belonging to) your Sabbaths whether of weekly ("Sabbaths" or of month's (Lord's Supper) Feasts".
    Sabbath-antagonists have manipulated this text to further there cause of 1, against the Sabbath, and 2, favouring Sunday-keeping. They neither literally nor in essence stick to the TEXT!
    Tragically, Sabbath-defenders fell for it. More tragically, Sabbath-defenders won't budge from their own traitional stand in order to get a proper perspective on the Scripture.
    A few finer point I would like to add, but now must first attend to something else
    Christian greetings
    Gerhard

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gerhard,

The problem is that we have clear examples of Christian Jews "judging" their fellow gentile bretheren (Acts 15 for example and Gal 5 for example) and we have no examples at all - of the pagan world taking an authorotative position with Christians (Jews and Gentiles) regarding food, or drink, or new moons or annual Sabbath participation. The Pagans are never quoted as saying "here is the CORRECT way to keep Passover" for example and then accepted as an authorotative source in a position to "judge".

There is no basis for that kind of interpretation of the text. Nothing at all supports it.

In your Galatian 4 example above - you show how the pagan world sought to ADD ITS own influence and practices to EXISTING practices - but you do not find the pagan imagining that THEY are keeping Passover -- or that they are celebrating the Day of Atonement correctly and the Christians in correctly.

It just isn't there.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear Bob,
    It just perhaps 'might be there'in this very text of Colossians. This is NOT Romans 14 -the 'Judaistic' issue, and this is NOT Galatians 4 -the 'pagan' issue. In Colossians it is head on collision between 'the world' and 'the Body of Christ's'.
    Your whole argument hinges on the single premise that Paul here deals with 'ceremonial' Sabbaths etc., not with 'the Sabbath' of the Fourth Commandment. And you argue in defence of this presupposition for the single reason that you are of the mind that Paul speaks AGAINST whatever is meant by 'Sabbaths' etc.
    If you however depart from the standpoint Paul acts the champion of these practices and of its practitioners so to speak, then why fear to accept he speaks of 'the Sabbath' unconditionally -that is to say- that he speaks of the Church "celebrating and enjoying -feasting ("eating and drinking")- her Sabbaths' Feasts, whether of weekly ("Sabbaths'") or of month's (Lord's Supper')?
    THEN, the CONTEXT fits perfectly, namely, that Paul uses Christ's victory over every obstacle to salvation as BASIS OF and FOR his immediately following and out-flowing ENCOURAGEMENT: "Do not you (the Body of Christ) be judged by any" etc.
    Dear brother in Jesus "our Head" as Paul calls Him in the same context, and from whom we receive "nourishment" to "grow with the growth of God", dear brother in Jesus, Why object? Its all there to accept with great joy and comfort! All there in this very Word!
    Why fight the hopeless battle to "prove" 'ceremonial Sabbaths' are here the subject of contention in the Church and between brethren in Christ whom Paul has ONLY words of encouragement and approval for?
    Just a last 'technicality': I cannot find the concept or implication of "NEW moons" or of "ANNUAL Sabbath" - 'it's just not there. And I cannot find either of these or the real - the "SABBATHS" as well as the "MONTHS" the direct object of judgement - at least not in the Greek. It makes one wonder: WHY is it so TRANSLATED? To promote the translators' idea -not Paul's idea- that the Sabbath here comes under Paul's judgement - which it does NOT!
    Gerhard

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear Bob,
    Something else 'technical':
    Where do you read that <<Paul says that the annual ceremonial sabbaths of Lev 23 are in fact "shadow Sabbaths" that point forward to the sacrifice of Christ>>?
    Although <<this is very true>>, and <<each of these annual Sabbaths pointed FORWARD to the Work of Christ in sacrifice and in redemption>>, it is NOT what <<Paul says>>, HERE. Neither are the words -or idea- <<annual>>, <<ceremonial>>, HERE, nor YOUR idea of <<shadow Sabbath>>. "These things", <<says Paul>>, referring back to the "eating and drinking OF feasts, whether of Sabbaths' or of months' feasts" - literally and with exact meaning -CHRISTIAN 'observance' of THE Sabbath of the Bible- "are a shadow of coming (things) indeed of the Body that belongs to Christ" -which says the SAME 'thing' that 'Paul says' further on, the Body "receiving nourishment", to "grow with the increase of God" -a FUTURE, "coming thing" or "spectre of the Body that is of Christs' (children)".

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear Bob,
    It just perhaps 'might be there'in this very text of Colossians. This is NOT Romans 14 -the 'Judaistic' issue, and this is NOT Galatians 4 -the 'pagan' issue.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Indeed - no precidence.

You claim that without any precidence at all "
    In Colossians it is head on collision between 'the world' and 'the Body of Christ's'.

And that is the problem with your view. We have no indication at all (not even in Col2 ) that non-Christian were "Accepted authorities in the church - listened to and obeyed" nor that "they were looked to for judgment on Christian practices as the final authority".

No such basis in all of scripture.

True - since the text speaks of the annual Shadow Sabbaths of Lev 23 that point forward to Christ "a mere shaddow" of the coming event but the "substance belongs to Christ".

No I do not argue that Paul speaks against the ceremonial - annual Sabbaths in Col2. He is correction an "abuse of the Sabbaths" inside the church related to "judging one another" and the abuse was ALSO an abuse even pre-Cross (Matt 7) where Christ condemned it as well.

Condemning abuse of a Biblical practice (judging others) can not be used as an argument for obliterating the Biblical practice.

I never argue that Col 2 is the basis for not observing the annual Ceremonial Sabbaths.

Because "in the details" of the text he shows that the context is of annual "shadow" Sabbaths that predict the work of the Messiah - rather than the 7-th day memorial Sabbath that points back to Creation week "reminding" us of Christ the Creator's role in creation and our obligation in worship as His direct, divine creation.

I would argue that the entire point of the chapter is to show that the Jewish traditions and rules were not "what forgave sins". He argues that the objective is obtained by the fact that Christ "nailed the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us" to the cross.

So rather than arguing that the law in any way is abolished by Christ - Paul argues that the debt defined by the law is fully paid by Christ - thus upholding the law (as it would even in our court system today).

As Paul says in Romans 3 "Do we then make void the law through faith? God Forbid! In fact we Establish the Law of God"

1. Because we have a precidence from Paul for dealing with that issue - and no indication or logic at all for supposing that pagans were regarded as "authorities on Christian practice" by the NT church.

2. Because Paul actually specifically mentions the "Shadow Sabbaths" - the predictive Sabbaths with their animal sacrifices pointing forward to the sacrifice of Christ.

The one part we agree on - is that no matter which Sabbath you find to be addressed here - Paul is condemning the "judging of others" as in the judging of Christian (by other Christians) - rather than the practice of observing the Sabbath.

In other words - he is not condemning the observance of any Sabbath (annual or weekly) by condemning those who judge others concerning it.

In Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The annual sabbaths are predictive - pointing forward to a future event of the Messiah - Christ our sacrifice, Christ our Savior. Given after the fall of man - and given with animal sacrifices.

The weekly Sabbath is a memorial - a prescriptive command regarding the fact that we are to honor Christ our Creator. Made a holy day BEFORE the fall of man - without animal sacrifices defined as a memorial.

In Christ,

Bob

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good day, Bob,
    I have very little time for the computer, and this forum we are using is rather difficult - practically. I would appreciate greatly if we could continue our discussion on this topic by email, whether we agree or not seeing it stimulates thoughts that otherwise would not have occurred. I am grateful for your willingness in this regard.
    Only to mention one thing now which I find uncomfortable, and that is your use of quotation marks as if you quote me while I not nearly hold such view. E.g., "... he (Paul) is correcting an "abuse of the Sabbaths". I hold Paul does not do anything of the sort, or that he deals with an issue of the judging of one another. I maintain Paul for NO reason 'upbraids' the Church, but defends it, and that he defends the Church against an outside influence and subtle foe, namely the "world" of "philosophy" and of all sorts of other sophistries which it hoped it could pollute the Church with.
    I do not disagree with you that a judging of one another was going on in the Church - but it is not to be found in this Letter of Paul to the Colossians. I do not disagree with you there used to be different kinds of 'Sabbaths' - yet again that nothing of the sort is distinguishable in this Letter.
    First of all I think you should get a grasp on the Passive of Paul's command: He does not say, 'Do not judge'; he does not say, 'Do not judge one another'. He says, "Do not YOU BE judged BY anyone" whith immediate reference to the foregoing verse 15 which mentions the powers and the mighty "principalities" / "principles" of the WORLD that Christ overcame and made the laughingstock of. "Anyone" (tis) is anyone of THESE!
    Looking forward to your reply - per e-mail if you will agree?
    Gerhard : Find my email with the small tokens on top of the page, Thanks.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Understood. I use quotes for emphasis rather than upper case (because upper case gets confused with shouting). I could just as easily use bold font but that takes more typing. Much quicker to use the quote marks.

When I really want to quote something - I usually use the HTML quote feature as I did with your statement above.

Take a look at Gal 1:6-11. Here we find Paul warning about a "different Gospel" being preached. (Not by pagans). So His warnings TO the church are often ABOUT factions IN the church.

See also 1Cor 3 for another example and Acts 20 ofr another and 2Cor 12 for another and Romans 14 for another etc.

I sent a PM to you for email contact.

In Christ,

Bob

10. wopik

wopik New Member

Colossian 2:16-17:
    don't let anyone condemn you for eating or drinking or for keeping the holydays and Sabbath.

If the holy days are done away with, so is eating and drinking -- for they are listed there, too.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Col 2 is not making the argument that "something is done away". Col 2 is only arguing that judging others within the church. (This is the same thing Christ condemns in Matt 7:1-4).