1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Columbia Evangelical Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by poodle78, Jan 9, 2005.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What you say is overall fair, accurate, and true. However, there are two other considerations:
    1. DE may not be appropriate education for everyone. Some folks just are not suited, whether by intellect, personality, background, or self-discipline, for this type of education. They need the structure, control, and interaction of a classroom. With others, they excel in a self-paced independent learning environment.
    2. DE is subject to abuse by those looking for a cheap, easy way to prestige and status. Such has been the trend for 25 years. This we must guard against since it affects all of us in terms of credibility. It would bother me for Christians to develop a reputation for shoddy degrees.
    What do you think?

2. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

You make some very good points, paidagogos. Sometimes with whom we studied says much more about our educational accomplishments than a degree or an institution. Maybe those degrees are to impress the people in the pew who have never heard of Karl Popper or Thomas Kuhn?

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you say is overall fair, accurate, and true. However, there are two other considerations:
    1. DE may not be appropriate education for everyone. Some folks just are not suited, whether by intellect, personality, background, or self-discipline, for this type of education. They need the structure, control, and interaction of a classroom. With others, they excel in a self-paced independent learning environment.
    2. DE is subject to abuse by those looking for a cheap, easy way to prestige and status. Such has been the trend for 25 years. This we must guard against since it affects all of us in terms of credibility. It would bother me for Christians to develop a reputation for shoddy degrees.
    What do you think?
    </font>[/QUOTE]

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your points are well taken and spoken articulately. I cannot help but believe that anyone who is "called" and has the "fire of God shut up in their bones" will follow His leadership. Maybe all of us are too consumed w/status & position and need to go back to the cross and focus on the word and work of "servant" a bit more. Me included.

On the other hand we need credentials to make what we say in the academe credible. Each one of us should stand or fall unto the Lord on his/her own gifts, calling, abilities, and such.

That is what I think.

rd

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

On the one hand, I cannot disagree with what you say but the converse is that too many depend on their degrees to state what ought to be proclaimed by their performance. I am not so much interested one’s degree as what one can do. As you mentioned earlier, some holders of Ivy League doctorates are duds. They are clouds without rain and wells without water. Someone, supposedly Benjamin Franklin, said that since Americans cannot grant titles of nobility that we are destined to hobble down to our graves on crutches of capital letters. Well said! What do you think?

;)

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD,

I did not mean to impugn your education. CES probably would not be equal to your doctorate from a SA school. No offense intended. Please forgive if I have offended in the least manner.

sdg!

rd

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Rhet

Please do not think I was offended. I know what I did. As I said my dissertation was evaluated by three profs from three SA universities, plus an informal reader at an RA school, published multiple times in the area of that dissertation, who has his PhD from Dallas Theological Seminary. This March I share some of my research eith the annual NW meeting of the ETS.

Personally I don't know why anyone who could enter and succeed "in" SA would opt for CES, but each to his own, I guess!

If anyone is interested in comparing the substance, reputation, and utility of a doc from a public, residential, accredited university with a real campus where the profs actually there teach with a doc from CES, and does not know how to make that comparison, then I will offer some direction.

BTW,I think Walston to be a fine fellow and you must be too to worry about my feelings.

Thanks,

Bill Grover

[ February 08, 2005, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: UZThD ]

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    USThD,

Unfortunatly I cannot. I have only been associated with them for less than one year. I have not been blessed to be one of "the chosen" either; i.e., no one has chosen me to be their mentor. I guess it is hard to do Rhetoric/Preaching in that format.

The most outstanding example of those who have some form of visible ministry is Dr. James White of Alpha and Omega Ministries. He has an extensive writing/written ministry, conference ministry, and teaching ministry. He has taught for our SBC Golden Gate seminary @ the Phoenix extension and the Mill Valley campus.

I am sorry if my laud of CES' programs has been misleading. Again, that has not been my intention. I have been so impressed with the concept that I believe(d) that CES is a good alternative to "diploma mills" and the unaccredited "Church School" where one can get a "doctorate" in as little as 8 months (I remember one of the posts read?).

This is all I can contribute. I hope it helps. I am willing however, to take on a mentee if anyone is interested please contact me.

sdg!

rd

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    USThD,

It seems like all I do is apologize. I am sorry for the "USThD" comment. I know better. Please forgive.

sdg!

rd

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

12. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

No problem. You seem like a very caring and knowing invidual and we here are blessed by your contributions.

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI for all on this thread:

Ergun Caner; who has his ThD from The University of South Africa and who has taught @ Criswell College; went to LibertyU grad school OR seminary a couple of years ago. He has been named to an admin place of leadership. He has a very interesting past. He has converted from Islam.

FTR (for the record), Dorothy Patterson (Paige's wife) also has her ThD from UNISA.

Don Whitney (Mid Western Bap Sem) is also doing his degree there.

sdg!

rd

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey gang,

I have just now visited again the web page of CES. If you want some in depth information, I suggest that you go to the page and go some layers deep to answer some of those lingering questions that may you have. Email Dr. Walston and he will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Please do some more research before drawing any conclusions about their programs tha may be different than the path you have taken.

sdg!

rd

15. Broadus

Broadus Member

Specifically, Caner has been named Dean of Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. I think the SA doctorate is carrying more weight than it might have in the past.

Blessings,
    Bill