1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Columbia Evangelical Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does everyone here think about Columbia Evangelical Seminary? http://www.columbiaseminary.edu/

The school is not accredited, and seems to point this out every chance they get. Dr James White has two degrees from CES.

Martin.

2. Nord

Nord New Member

Well....I think they are a legitmate and honest attempt. I also have high regard for Dr. Walston.

The other side is that with so many affordable Christian education programs around, I see little reason to do a degree there.

Even at the doctorate level, there are very affordable South African theological degrees. South africa has a very well respected education system and well respected theolgical faculties.

As an example, Bill Grover on http://www.degreeinfo.com did his doctorate at the UNIZUL (not top tier theological school but good). Bobby Loubser is the department chair (you can do an internet search for his curriculum vitae). The doctorate cost less than 2000 US dollars.

The point is why do an unaccredited doctorate. Bill Grover is already doing adjunct faculty work based on his accredited (equivalent doctorate). I find it hard to believe that someone would be doing the same based on their CES doctorate (maybe based on an accredited Masters).

Nord

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are numerous reasons why to have an accreditied degree. A cousin of mine graduated many years ago from a Christian college and essentially does not have a degree. Her husband is not in very good health so she tried to get a teaching credential to teach school and help pay the bills. Her degree is not recognized so she is working at a much lower paying job.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I personally would stay away from any school that was no accredited. They may be a fine school with fine teachers, etc. But in the long run it is worth your time, energy and money to go with an accredited school.

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

You can do a search on the BB for "CES" or "Rick Walston" and find some more opinions about CES. I am one of their mentors and would be glad to talk to you on or off the BB about the programs.

sdg!

rd

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Any body know of nay groups that have graduate certificates?

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

ooops
    Probably should have been
    Does any one know of any graduate certificate programs?

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

Sorry,

I don't understand your question.

Bill

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus,

Some grad schools have a program that is something like 1/2 of a master's. You can get a "graduate certificate" in a particular discipline by doing 15-18 grad hrs or some such. I looked at a grad cert in bio&medical ethics but decided not to do the program. This may be what El_Guero is talking about??

sdg!

rd

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

RD,

That is: but, half of a master's is 50 hours ...

I was thinking more along the lines of 3 to 9 hours ...

Non-traditional is even better ...