1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Commitment of a QUALITY Baptist Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quality Baptist Bible College should include (my opinion, no particular order)

1. Commitment to the Word - every student with a 25-30 credit Bible core taught by good professors, heavy on doctrine and practical application, methods of interpretation, etc. Daily chapel and required church attendance

2. Commitment to the Church - every student involved in a local church ministry, perhaps shifting at least twice to different churches/ministries to get real internship and exposure to a variety

3. Commitment to Baptist heritage - every student required to understand Baptist history and church history, Baptist distinctives

4. Commitment to Academic core - solid required classes in philosophy, history, English, language, technology, the sciences/math. Fully accredited with the national key group (not secondary or no accreditation) and fully vetted for teacher-certification in the education program

5. Commitment to Fine Arts - lots of music, drama, performance teams

6. Commitment to Athletics - full sports program, including tackle football, wrestling, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc, for men and women

7. Commitment to real Campus life - lots of internal facilities, activities and programs to enhance daily life for students

8. Commitment to Ministry - training for pastors, missions, youth and all full-time vocational ministries, plus training for laymen to function well in the church setting

9. Commitment to Facilities - having good dormitories, state-of-the-art technology, library, dining commons, etc

10. Commitment to Future - growth oriented, hiring PhD quality professors, expanding programs, visionary President and Administration.

Hope these make sense. Would like to see additions to this list or questions about items included. It is certainly NOT comprehensive!

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would add a commitment to research and discipleship. Any Christian college or university is disobedient if it does not instill in its students the imporatnce and a methodology of making desiples.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good addition. Christian Growth is a whole topic. (And typing skills? [​IMG] [​IMG] )

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to typing IIRC International Baptist College of Tempe, AZ has a required "keyboarding" course for all entering students.

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

No legalistic rules!

Treat college students like adults.

Allow students to work off campus and use their cars.

Allow students to date without chaperones.

Reflect mainstream conservative evangelical culture! Music, art, drama, etc.

6. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

How are we coming up with this list of essentials? I guess I'm missing where a commitment to tackle football, etc. fits into kingdom preparation. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but is it really vital to a quality baptist education? Would rugby fit the bill? I would like to see more baptist colleges with polo. It looks cool and its history is not as bloody as football.

Ah, yes, the well that is evangelical culture--TBN, Thomas Kinkade, Adventures in Odyssey, Left Behind, CCM, etc.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hey, you guys could call it the "Baptist Board Bible College"!

Would you build it in a rural setting or big city? Theres pros and cons to each.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

My only quibble would be tackle football - very expensive sport - mens and womens soccer would substitute very well

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Well, I must quibble too. Although football is expensive, it generates a much greater income than soccer. In other words, a football program will pay its own way but soccer programs usually need subsidy although they are less expensive.

Furthermore, football is not necessarily bloodier. In coaching soccer, I’ve seen more serious injuries in soccer than football. Although, I played soccer in college and on a semi-pro club afterwards, I like a football program because it teaches discipline and team ideals better than soccer. In soccer, I’ve seen a lot of pride and the jock attitude. Just my opinion from experience.

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Paidagogos

I am a football lover myself - I played linebacker at 6'4 235 in high school, but the cost of football is very high compared to a soccer program. At some schools football can be a revenue generator, at some smaller Chritian schools - that are very good otherwise, the cost of a tackle football program is out of thier reach, and would probably not generate any money for a very long time.

Back when I was in college - Bryan College in Dayton, TN - we competed in soccer, bball, baseball, volleyball etc with schools like Tennessee Temple, Covenant College, Lee College and others who were excellent schools - none with tackle football, all with great rivalries.

My experience is that you can have a great school with great sports programs without tackle football

11. Blood Bought 7

Blood Bought 7 New Member

lol, I love the way the topics flow here.

12. Convicted by the Spirit

Typing in this day and age is a must. I can't tell you how many men I know that use the hunt n' peck method to typing and end up wasting their time and energy that could be spent better else where.

Sports is important, but something like tackle football or fast pitch baseball is expensive and requires a lot of pratice. There are plenty church leagues and non-offical college leagues that could be done in sports such as softball, basketball and flag-foot ball.

13. Convicted by the Spirit

I did not take any of the above courses in school and I don't have a taste for them. Sure I like to listen to music ... but play or sing it? or act in a drama? Can someone expand on this as to why this would be a key area?

14. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I did not take any of the above courses in school and I don't have a taste for them. Sure I like to listen to music ... but play or sing it? or act in a drama? Can someone expand on this as to why this would be a key area? </font>[/QUOTE]Not only does it open one's mind to new ideas and excercises, but it also expands one's attitudes about outreach when you see how powerful music and drama can be in touching the heart of people. Music can touch the soul like nothing else except the Spirit of God. Drama can give a visual picture to realities in both physical and spiritual life that may not be comprehended by simply telling.

15. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come on! Don't you know that you can't have Dr. Bob's list of ten and this list of four? They are mutually exclusive! ;)

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Dr. Bob

Great list. But, how many new colleges are we committing to start?