1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rstrats, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ended the fast on some *part* of the third daylight period.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Mark 15:42 reads, ". . . And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath. . . ." A number of problems with your claim. First, Jewish days begin with their evening. Jesus was already dead when that evening began. It was the beginning of the Perperation day, our Thursday evening. The Geneva Bible translates it this way, "And nowe when the night was come (because it was the day of the preparation that is before the Sabbath). That still does not help your case.

3. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then the Esther account isn't an example of where at least a part of a daytime or at least a part of a night time couldn't have occurred.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too many negatives for my comprehension.

Rather, the Esther account *is* an example of where at least part of a daytime or part of a nighttime *could * have occurred.

5. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be an issue for a different topic.

#65 rstrats, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like the same topic to me, but in any case, I've said my piece.

7. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it's been awhile, maybe someone new looking in may know of examples.

8. Alex2165

Alex2165 Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Actually it does help my case but does not help yours.

You wrote:
    "Well, Mark 15:42 reads, ". . . And now when the even was come, because it was the *preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath. . . ."

Preparation for Sabbath Day was on Friday, and on Friday leaders of the Jews wanted crucify Jesus before Holy Holiday of Sabbath starts, and they have to do it before darkness on Friday, because when first star appears on the sky it can be considered as the beginning of a new day, and if it happens on Friday, this would be already the Sabbath Day, and Sabbath Day will be defiled by execution.

You wrote:
    "It was the beginning of the Perperation day, our Thursday evening."

You stated yourself in Mark 15.42 that "preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath "

The day before the Sabbath is Friday and not the Thursday.

And you stated again: "The Geneva Bible translates it this way, "And nowe when the night was come (because it was the day of the preparation that is before the Sabbath). "

It seems to me you contradict yourself here.

Exodus 12.5-6
    5.Your lamb shall be without blemish a year old male, you may take it from the ship or from the goats.

6.You shall keep it until the fourteenth day (second Sabbath of the week) of this month, then the whole assembled congregation of Israel shall slaughter it at twilight ("at twilight" means Friday night when first star appears, which will indicate Sabbath Day, it was the Day of Passover).

Jesus always compared to the Lamb of GOD, and as Guilt Sacrifice.

If Jesus had not sacrificed on the Sabbath Day as the lamb of Passover mentioned in Exodus 12.5-6, the prophesies about Him would not be fulfilled and He would not be considered as Messiah.

This is why Jesus was sacrificed on Passover Day as it was done with the ordinary lamb of Passover.

Jesus took on Himself to be a Lamb of Passover as Salvation from the wrath of GOD and the Guilt Sacrifice for sins of humanity, for which the lambs and goats have been sacrificed on the Passover and Atonement Days, including Sabbath Days.

John 19.31-33
    31.The Jews, because it was the day of preparation (Friday), so that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath, that Sabbath was a high Day (Passover Day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

32.The soldiers came and broke the legs of the first man, and of the other man who was crucified with Him,

33.but coming to Jesus, when they saw that He was already dead..."

But because darkness fell very early on Friday when Jesus was already crucified, the darkness shows the stars indicating the beginning of the Sabbath Day, and at that moment Jesus died.

So the Sabbath was defiled, but prophesies about Christ have been fulfilled.

The count of time of death is different from Bible to Bible.

Matthew 27.45-46
    45.Now, from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land, until the ninth hour.

46.And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice saying, "Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani?" that is, "My GOD, My GOD, why have You forsaken Me?" (KSB, Gideons, Russian).

45.From noon on, darkness came over the whole land, until three o'clock Jesus cried with a loud voice, "E'll, E'll, lema' sa-bach-'tha-ni?" that is "My GOD, My GOD, why have you forsaken Me?" (NRSV, GNB).

Mark 15.25
    25.And it was the third hour when they crucified Him. (KSB, Gideons, Russian).

25.It was nine o'clock in the morning when they crucified Him. (NRSV, GNB).

Luke 23.44
    44.And it was now about the sixth hour, and darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour, (KSB, Gideons, Russian).

44.It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. (NRSV, GNB).

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a number of issues with your arguments.
    The Jewish days begin at sundown, aka evening. My argument regarding Mark 15:42 was it was the start aka evening of the Perparation. Our Thursday evening. Answer this first, then I will deal with your other arguments.

10. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alex2165,
    re: "The day before the Sabbath is Friday and not the Thursday."

That is an issue for a different topic.

re: "If Jesus had not sacrificed on the Sabbath Day as the lamb of Passover mentioned in Exodus 12.5-6, the prophesies about Him would not be fulfilled and He would not be considered as Messiah."

That is an issue for a different topic.

re: "Matthew 27.45...Now, from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land, until the ninth hour."
    I
    That is an issue for a different topic if you're suggesting that that counts for one of the three nights.