1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Ground Coffee House #112

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL Tanya! What's funny is that little Christopher is higher up than her brother! :laugh:

Cuz, come join the dark side (homeschoolers), us cousins have to stick together! :D

Sue, you back yet? I hate you having to drive back and forth so much by yourself. I hope Dale is feeling better.

Today's been spent: sleeping, reading, shopping(again), fixing a car, cooking (made T help) and surfing! I was going to bake a cake but Walmart didn't have any strawberries! What's wrong with those people? Oh well, the cake'll wait until I make it up to the grocery store I buy meat at. They should have some Chilton County peaches in too. Mmmmm!

Ya'll have a good evening!

2. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Chilton County peaches! Yummy!

Last year, on the way home from Oklahoma we stopped in Chilton County, somewhere around Clanton, where there is a "Rest Area" with a park, and I think two restaurants celebrating the Chilton County Peach. I had some Peach cobbler. Deelicious!

3. menageriekeeper

Yeppers Gayla, I'm spoiled to Chilton County peaches! Best in the country as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorta thinkin' of making a road trip down that way with Tanya and her bunch and pickin' enough to can. I can taste the cobbler now!

Blessed Sunday Everyone!

I've got my bunch up and we're headed to church here in a little while. This afternoon, well who knows. For once there isn't anything planned.

How'd that happen? :confused:

Ya'll have a great day!

4. TLB

TLB New Member

I can't think of anything that taste better than cobbler made with fresh Chilton County Peaches! We would love to take a road trip down there and pick some peaches. :laugh: canning on the other hand...I have no clue how to do that!:laugh:

The plan for today is for me to recover from the ball game we went to last night. J didn't go, he stayed home with Leah. We had a fun group. Phyllis, Judy, Judy's daughter Erin (17), Judy's grandson Macon (8), Kara (13), Amie (10), Seth (8), Anna (6), Todd (4), Kacy (3) and myself. Let me tell ya, even at 7pm it was hot!!!! They had fireworks after the game that the kids loved. But, the best part was when we stopped at Krispy Kream for hot donuts! Yes, people looked at us like we were nuts to have that many children in KK at 11:30pm. it was almost 1am before we made it back home and after 2am before I made it to bed.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Sounds like fun, Tanya.
    A passel of younguns in Krispy Kreme at 11:30 pm. Of course, everybody enjoyed the donuts! Wish I had one right now. :wavey:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's so hot here on Long Island that.....

DH decided to change the family plans from all of us going to the boat and BBQing for dinner to all of us staying home and playing games! It's 95 degrees right now with like a gazillion percent humidity. I just hung my 3rd load of laundry on the line for today and by the time I got to the end, the first stuff that I hung up was almost dry (even in the humidity!!) MAN, I hate the heat! We haven't even turned off the heat in the house yet because Thursday night was so cold we needed it! Unbelievable!!

So tonight's dinner of teriyaki shrimp, grilled asparagus and homemade cole slaw will be held off until tomorrow night when it will be even hotter (YIKES) and Bob and I will go out to eat instead. Kids will have something easy - not sure what yet.

So, tomorrow I'm supposed to go horseback riding - I think not! I think we'd both have heat stroke!

7. menageriekeeper

LOL Ann! This is a new one:

Ya'll need to come south where it is cooler! :laugh:

It is only 93 here and our humidity is a nice cool 41%. :D

I have a swimming pool.........

8. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Morning Everybody,

It is 86 and Smokin' hot here, headed for a high in the high 90's with a third day of strong storms and possibly tornados possible for today and tonight.

That sounds great Cuz, we'll all be there about 1pm today. Hope the pool water is cold.

Jacob and I have our meeting with the Superintendent tomorrow. My daughter works part-time at the Elementary School, and she tells me that the Superintendent and the Middle School Principal have received a ton of complaints about the teacher who swore at Jacob. Wonder why they waited until now to say something? It is also the rumor that this teacher is now considering retirement even more seriously then she was.

Almost too hot to do anything today [as it has been the last two days too] so we're going to be staying in the AC and awaiting Mother Nature's next tantrum.

Dinner tonight is easy: Cold Ham and Turkey Sandwiches, Cold Cilantro Potato Salad, and Cold Macaroni Salad with Cold Strawberry Pie for dessert.

Think I'm going to have to go in and have my R arm x-rayed. It's difficult to move without pain, and I can hardly stop the pain once it starts. Old Age [56]?, Arthritis, Bursitis? Who knows?

Time to go in and get some errands run before the storms hit. We'll leave for Cindi's right after I get back from town.

9. menageriekeeper

Cuz, I have an appointment at noon tomorrow. :rolleyes: Got up this morning and couldn't grip the steering wheel without my left hand hurting and my right hand has various joints that are sore to the touch. And that just begins the problems. I've fought having to do more than spot treat the really bad stuff for a long time, but I just can't have my hands in pain all the time. I use them way too much.

Good, hmmm, how'd it get to be afternoon?!

I haven't really accomplished much so far, but I have some sewing to do if my hands hold out that long. Other than that, I'm being lazy. T went back to work today. Tomorrow I have an appointment and then we'll go to the church then Wednesday Chris has an appointment in B'ham and I think we'll go to the library and maybe to see Indiana Jones while we are there. So today is a good day to be lazy!

Ya'll stay cool!

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good evening everyone! I can finally get on after being without power most of this afternoon - and then without internet all this evening. We hit 98 here with high humidity and it was NOT fun!! It was miserable! Thank goodness the house stayed relatively cool even without the a/c although when we were able to turn it on, it felt GREAT. I went to the barn - yeah, didn't ride. I hosed off the horses 3 times today just to keep them cool. BLECK!! I'm NOT good in the heat.

Well, I'm off to bed. I'm exhausted! See ya'll tomorrow!

11. menageriekeeper

Good Morning Everyone!

I don't think we have heard from Sue the last couple of days. Sue? You out there?????

Bless your heart Ann. A power outage in the summer is not a good thing in this house! Winter we can handle it, but no airconditioning is a bad, bad thing for T. I don't even let him work outside most of the summer. Chris and I do the yard work and make T stay inside till the dust settles. Otherwise T is certain to get sick. He is very very allergic to grass.

No internet is second only to no air conditioning!

I'm up and have paid the bills. <bleck> <gag> I hate bill paying day! I should have paid them all Friday, though. I had two that had rolled over into doubles. Can't really figure that out, but they were showing next months bill as due. This is only the 10th!

The rest of the day will be spent recovering!

My dad just called so I'll see ya'll later!

12. TLB

TLB New Member

<shock> what?!!? recovering?? what??!!? <shock> :laugh: ya better recover quick as i am not going to let you back out of sewing at the church today:wavey:

laundry, naps for the lil ones and sewing at the church are the plans for the day.

hope you all have a good day.

13. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Morning Everybody,

It is 82 degrees and sunny here, headed for a forcasted high of 92-94. I can't [and don't] complain though...this is the weather we [in Michigan]wish for in January.

Jacob and I have our appointment with the Superintendent at 1pm today.

Brenda and I went to the church for Potluck and Bible Study last night. They said we could bring a couple of desserts if we wanted to so we took Triple-Layer Mud Pie, and Double-Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake. The main course was [what else in a Baptist Church?] Fried Chicken. The Bible study was fantastic. We're going to visit again this Sunday. Our daughter watched the Gradkids and they had cold sandwiches and potato salad and macaroni salad for dessert.

Time to go out and pick up the yard [again] after the storm last night.

#293 Friend of God, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
  14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Good morning all,

I'm here! :)

Sorry I haven't check in, but life has been hectic, to say the least!

Woo Hoo! Hubby gets to come home today after 2 whole weeks in the hospital!

I am picking him up this afternoon after my appointment at the dentist.

Thank you for all your prayers!

I will let you know our 'regimen' after he is home for a couple of days.

I know we will be going to our local hospital every day for IV antibiotics. His pick line is already in place.

HAGD!
    §ue

15. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's great news Sue!!

I'll continue to pray for you and Dale.:praying:

16. menageriekeeper

Great news Sue! I was just worried that you had gotten washed away in all that rain up that way!

Good luck today, Cuz. Remain calm and professional during your discussions. Educators are tuned to expect emotional parents and when they run up against one who is calm, collected and aware of their rights it stuns 'em like a deer in headlights. ;) Just joking but things will go more your way if you are insistant without getting upset.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Another hot one today - it's 94 right now at 11:30 AM so we're in for the day. I WILL have to go pick up DDs car from the shop (needed an inspection since we registered it in our names). I'm also not going to be a "green" citizen today and be frugal because that bit me in the butt yesterday. I kept the AC off all morning because it was just 79 degrees in the house and kind of OK. After loosing our power around 1:30 and not getting it back on until dinner time, and the house feeling HOT, I'm working at getting it cool and keeping it cool so that if it DOES go off again, I'm ready for it. Forget the environment - I want COOL!

I think tonight will be grilled shrimp since it's thawed thanks to losing power but we're also supposed to have bad storms later, so we'll see.

18. Gurru

Gurru New Member

Hi guys!

Here in Mexico it's too hot, afortunately I work under roof (in a factory) from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m., so, sun doesn't make me anything, jiji

19. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Afternoon Everybody,

Welcome to the Coffeehouse Gurru!

Jacob and I are back from the meeting with the Superintendent. I'd already briefed Jacob about how to behave, and to tell her exactly what the teacher said and what he was doing when she said it without any embelishment. He told her what the teacher said to him and what she called him in front of the whole class, then he admitted that he was wrong for just leaving to go up to the Principal's office to complain. He admitted that he was afraid that the teacher was going to try and stop him from going to complain.

The Superintendent told me that evidently I "started an avalanche" of complaints from parents about this teacher's classroom behavior and vocabulary. I just told her that I went to detention with Jacob because he reacted the way he knew I would have reacted. She said that she had received calls from teachers telling her that an adult was in detention and wondering what was going on [I remember several teachers walking down the hall and doing a "double-take" when they saw me in the room.]

The Superintendent apologized for the teacher's behavior and "unfortunate" choice of words. The rumors are true, the teacher is retiring and will not be teaching next year. It turns out that several parents called the school board members and vented their anger at them, and demanded they take action or if they didn't they [the parents] would.

I stayed cool, and professional and gave the Superintendent a written account from Jacob of what happened and what was said in the classroom. I also told her that I had no intention of turning this into a witch hunt but that the behavior ws certainly in-appropriate and needed investigation. Then she completely flabbergasted me by thanking me 'for having the courage" to stand by Jacob and complain [not demand] to the right authorities. I didn't do anything special [in my mind], I believed my Grandson and sought to find a solution to the problem. Isn't this what parents and grandparents are supposed to do? She shook my hand and Jacob's and thanked us for taking an active part in solving the problem.

To me [and Jacob] the problem is over. It doesn't need any more discussion on our part, our positions were expressed, and investigation was made,and a solution was arrived at. Needless to say though, many kids at school are talking about the teacher and what she did, and everytime I see or speak to a parent from the school it is brought up. The problem is solved, no need to beat a dead horse. Let's just enjoy the summer and go back to school in the fall.

Thanks for the guidance and support Cuz and everybody. I'm not a troublemaker and I was really "out of my element." But thanks to wise guidance I was able to show that even a Christian can get angry and not become part of the problem.

#299 Friend of God, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
  20. Gurru

Gurru New Member

Thanks =D>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.