1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Ground Coffee House #112

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Of course this is what parents are supposed to do, but never do! I am not surprised at the reactions you are getting. They are the same ones I have gotten in the past (well except the middle school principal was sorta glad when we left. :D I can't imagine why.).

No doubt you started something. That is good though. There is strength in numbers and every parent should be aware that they do not lose their rights when their child walks through the school house. Even more important is that parents need to know their rights and then they won't be afraid to enforce them.

Good job, Cuz! :applause:

I had a sorta okay sorta...Well fine. I hate going to the doctor! That is all there is to it. Nothing against the docs btw, but I detest having my body break down. I spent enough time sick when I was young. Now that I'm....not young....I've developed the idea that I've done my time as a sick person and I shouldn't have to be unhealthy.

Doc took one look at me and said, "You must be in pain or you wouldn't be here." I'm not sure if it is good or bad that my doc knows me so well. <puff> Then she said I needed a rheumatologist. After I gave her that look, she changed her mind and said she'd run the blood panels herself, if I'd take the meds she prescribed and come back if they didn't help within a month. The lab tech made me bleed and left a bruise on my arm sucking out THREE HUGE vials of blood. I made the appointment for 6 weeks. Cass has one on the same day so it'll be more convenient.

Then I got to go socialize with Tanya and Margaret at the church so the day ended well!

2. menageriekeeper

Gurru, welcome to the Coffee House!

3. menageriekeeper

Good Morning Everyone!

This is NOT a triple post. I can't help it if ya'll are lazy bums and think that since it is summer you don't have to get up. :D

I've been left with a nice benefit from T's night shift stint. He has been getting up in the mornings and making coffee about thirty minutes before I get up. I've made the morning coffee for twenty years, so his making it is really cool!

Today, Chris has a docs appointment in B'ham. While we are over there we will make our first trip to the library, eat lunch with T and go catch a movie this evening. You know, if I'm going to drive that far, I'm going to make a day of it!

Ya'll have a good day. Try to stay cool!

4. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Good morning, menageriekeeper! Used to, I had a coffee pot that I could set to come on automatically at a given time. You know, so I could have it ready when I woke up. Earlier this year, I purchased a BUNN. That is my sidekick! All I do in the morning is scoop out that wonderful bayou blend, pour in the water, shut the lid and watch it pour! Within two minutes and forty-five seconds, I have all 10 delicious cups ready to pour over into my quart coffee mug.

Good morning to everyone else! I hope you have a wonderful day! ;)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

THE EXCESSIVE HEAT BROKE!!!! It's 10:40 AM right now and it's only 80 degrees! I have the house open and even though it's to get to around 85, it's dry and comfortable so I'm not sure I'll even close up. We DID have some super strong winds last night with lots of trees down but all is well today with the sun shining and the birds singing. :)

Today we'll do some more homeschooling and try to finish up by Monday or so. My older 2 have finals starting tomorrow and they run through Monday then my oldest is all done and doesn't have to go back except for graduation practice and to get her cap and gown. Nicole needs to go back for 2 regents (state tests) in history and math but that's it! We're almost done with school!! Woo-hoo!! I'm SO looking forward to not doing it for a while.

Keep Lauren in your prayers, if you can - she has a job interview at Starbucks tomorrow (she NEEDS a job for the summer to raise money for school and to pay for her car) and then her road test is next Wednesday (a week from today). I think even if she gets her license next week I won't let her drive by herself for a while because she just needs more experience behind the wheel. This whole driving thing scares me, I have to say!! SHUDDER Oh - and then July 1st, my next one goes for her permit. Oh God - please give me strength! MAN, that's a serious prayer guys. LOL

Well I'll catch you all later! Off to hang the laundry out to dry. :)

6. menageriekeeper

Hehehe!

Ann, my 15 year old gets her liscense in just over a month. She is driving us to B'ham today. She will not however drive around B'ham. Not this trip. Mostly because it would mean I'd have to sit in the back seat once we pick up T for lunch! It ain't happening. :laugh: Plus, I know where we're going and she doesn't.

She gets to drive to the library that she does know how to get to.

Now for the best part. Cass took driver ed this year and got a card that says she can walk in, take the written test and not have to take the road test!

Shane honey, you are too young to need a quart of coffee! Take it easy on that stuff, it'l stunt your growth! :laugh:

7. TLB

TLB New Member

oh dear! lets all :praying: for mk as she puts her life in the hands of her daughter!!

anyone have a child who is with in a year or so of getting a driving permit and could care less about it?

8. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Menageriekeeper, from what the older people tell me... "you don't wanna grow old!" :laugh: Really though, I enjoy my coffee for the taste. There has been mornings I get up and get going with the same affect. I have never been able to feel the effects of caffeine. Perhaps that's why I can drink a quart and then some! :thumbs:

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

MK - A license at 15 with Lauren would put me over the edge. This is the girl who can't ride a bike straight - NO way would I let her drive any sooner than this. LOL She's already 18 - she could have worked hard and gotten her license over a year ago but she just didn't care. Now that her car is sitting in the driveway, she has more motivation. Oh - did I tell you about her car? It's the best car we own. My ILs gave it to her and it's a 2003 Honda Accord with, get this, 10,000 miles on it!!!!!!! They kept it garaged and it was literally the car that the old lady only drove to church. LOL If Bob's car wasn't a stick shift, he'd take this one and give her is car (a 1999 Nissan Maxima with 57,000 miles on it). Oh well! Atleast she's got a reliable car.

For all of us with new drivers, let us pray....

10. Gayla

Gayla New Member

I've got at least 7 years to go before mine start getting driver's licenses. whew!

I just gotta get myself up and going. NOW would be nice.

Have a call in to the Onc., I can't take much more of this!
    :wavey:

11. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Good afternoon! It's a hot 91° here in Louisiana... with my water jug by my side. All is quiet 'round the homefront...not too much happening. The birds have found a shady spot where the bird feeders are and are enjoying a little "snack". This is about the time of the day that they get really hot and start bathing in their bird baths. I'm enjoying a blueberry pop tart for my afternoon snack. All the hummingbirds are still nesting 'round here... "sigh"! Oh well- they'll just come back in abundance!

It's a church night, so before I leave to go get Kacie and her brother for church, I have to make sure everything is ready for the night so I don't have to do anything but go to bed when I get in. You know me, I go to bed early and get up early. Wednesday night's are rush-rush 'round here before church, so I must prepare and get things done beforehand. Enjoy this hot weather. If it was wintertime, you'd be wanting it. I hear the "fire tone" going off on the scanner here in Franklin Parish -- it's alerting the firemen that there is a fire somewhere. It's a grass fire. We have at least two a day. It is so easy for fires to get out of hand when it is this hot. Drink plenty of water and stay cool.

12. menageriekeeper

LOL Ann! The inlaws gave Cass her car too. Only hers is a '98 Toyota Corolla with 175,000 miles on it. We have it just about broke in for her. :D Matter of fact we drove it to B'ham today. On the twenty dollars of gas I put in it over the weekend. I love that car! It still has nearly a quarter of a tank!

Now don't be knocking us folk who can't ride a bike straight. I can't ride to save my life but I drive just fine!

Shane, I was just joshing with you. At 17 I drank just as much coffee as you. Nowdays I usually have an afternoon pot as well. :eek:

Even with a late start, we got everything accomplished that we wanted to. We now have enough reading material until the first of the month and Chris doesn't have to go back to see this doc for a whole entire year unless something changes! Yay!!!!!!

13. Gayla

Gayla New Member

MK, I've noticed that Migraine Boy hasn't shown up much this past school year. Was it the stress of school, or something in the air? Homeschooling was obviously a good choice.

When the Onc. nurse called back after relaying my questions to the Doc, he said the new chemo is probably contributing alot to the leg and muscle pain. Guess I won't be getting rid of the walker and canes any time soon.:tonofbricks: :BangHead:

14. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Today has been fantastic here on the bayous! It's time for bed, fred. Mornings 'round this old home come mighty early. My pillow is calling. I love ya'll - and goodnight. :)

15. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Good Morning! What a wonderful night of sleep I had... an I owe it all to God who gave it to me. So here I am - fighting for the Lord - ready for another day. Today in this world, you never know what "another day" will bring. It's so important to pray for our worldly events, because without our fervent prayer, I don't think God will have enough mercy on America to have a hand in any of it.

That bayou blend is sittin' on my desk lookin' at me right down! That BUNN heats coffee to an extreme -- so just imagine how long it takes for that quart to cool! The mason jar is filled with water and tea bags and is ready for the sun to pop out. I always give my tea a head start over the sun. I want the "full effect", lol. Ain't nothin' like a glass of sweet southern iced tea on a hot day 'round here.

My oldest cat just jumped up on the window seal here in front of the computer -- on the outside lookin' in. I don't have curtains or blinds or anything on that window -- just a huge window looking east out my backyard. I think he wants in. Sometimes, he just sits up there and stares. I wonder what is going through his mind, lol. I love my animals, and I thank God for each and every one of them.

Sue, I hope all is working out for you and Dale. I'll continue to remember him in my prayers.

I'm turning on the coffee pot early, so you better get up if you want a cup! It is time to start the day and give all the glory to God! Amen! See yall 'round here, there, and in the air! ~Shane be cruising~

The Solid Rock

My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

Refrain:
    On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
    All other ground is sinking sand,
    All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
    I rest on His unchanging grace;
    In every high and stormy gale,
    My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood
    Support me in the whelming flood;
    When all around my soul gives way,
    He then is all my hope and stay.

Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
    Oh, may I then in Him be found;
    Dressed in His righteousness alone,
    Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain

16. menageriekeeper

Good Morning Everyone!

Gayla you are exactly right. Migraine Boy hasn't shown up here since Chris left public school. The docs won't give me an opinion on why that might be, whether it was:

the school physical environment(doubtful since the elementary and the middle are two separate locations),

the stress (could be, but the elementary school in particular was very careful how they talked to him and how much pressure they put on him to keep up),

or some other trigger such as the schedule (Chris has gotten at least 12 hours of sleep per night since we started homeschooling and sometimes more than that)

or possibly something like shared cooking methods/ingredients that we don't use at home or cleaning chemicals.

It really is impossible to tell and one last possibility is that he is finally "growing out" of them.

And he is finally growing and growing and growing. He is going to end up being one tall skinny kid! He already wears a size 9 1/2 men's shoe and he's only thirteen. The docs tell me that he still has a whole 'nother growth spurt to go through!

Yesterday's visit was to the gastroenterologist. At least some of Chris' migraine problems were food allergy related, something the neurologist had already told us was common. Evidently, in my home cooking, I've gotten used to what he can and can't eat and the meds he takes are working. When we eat out he still has some problems but nothing like what they were a year and a half ago.

I have to find out today when the neurologist visit is. He is already on a 6 month plan with them, because he has done so well. Cass' migraines are more active so she is on a 4 month plan, to give you some comparison.

Chris has done so well that we are going to homeschool him one more year and then try him back in PS when he hits high school. Our high school has been very good dealing with Cass' migraines so I'm not expecting any problems there, but we'll see. I'll start working with them sometime after the first of the year to make sure we have a plan from the get go.

I'm thinkin' I'm going to lay around most of the day. The kitchen needs cleaning and I have some laundry to, but those won't take long.

Ya'll have a good day!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So I woke this morning to the smell of the fresh air (I was finally able to have the windows open since our humidity and high heat broke - it's right now 10AM and 76 degrees!) and to the sound of DH playing his guitar writing a chorus. On Father's Day, he sets up a new worship team with fathers and children leading the worship - the entire team is a father with atleast one child too. It's wonderful! So he decided to do "This is My Father's World" for the 'special music' (song during offering) and he wrote a chorus for it. He and my 15 year old will sing it and POSSIBLY we'll get my 7 year old son to play bongos. They did this a few years ago - doing "The Father's Song" with my oldest playing guitar, DH on keyboards, 2nd DD and DH singing and my son doing bongos and it turned out SO great. I cried, of course. :) What a joy to see the children worshipping the Lord with all of their hearts.

So today will be an abbreviated homeschooling day because the teens are home by 1:30. Today, tomorrow and Monday are finals and they finish up early each day. So I'll pick them up and go riding early, I think (depending on the heat). My oldest has a job interview at Starbucks at 4:30 and I pray she gets the job because she NEEDS the money badly. DH is hoping she gets the job so he can get free coffee (hopefully). LOL Tonight DH will be racing the boat so it's a free for all dinner - I'm thinking of making some simple pasta.

Man, I have to say this weather has me feeling so relaxed! I wish summer would be like this all the time rather than that 98 degree stuff we had.

18. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Afternoon Everybody,

It is already 90 and steaming hot here. Welcome to the Long Hot Summer!

Ann and my Cuz were discussing about having teenagers learning to drive, and I'd like to give them the benefit of my experience with it:

1. Never lend your car to anyone to whom you've given birth.

2. If your daughter wants to drive, don't stand in her way.

3. A careful driver is one who honks her horn as she goes through a red light.

The Gkids are done with school and they tumble out of bed early and are on their way to play with their friends. Why can't they tumble out of bed early to go to school?

Glad to hear that Dale is home, and hopefully the docs can find out what caused the problem. Did you survive the dentist, Sue?

I know what you mean about the fire-tones going off for grassfires, Shane. We have it here all the time. It really is fun to listen to the police scanner, and then compare it to the story that appears in the paper. Sometimes you wouldn't know they're the same thing.

Father's Day is the one day I'm not allowed to cook. The Gkids are going to make cheeseburgers [and they'll taste better than anything I've ever made.]

I'm going to go outside and watch the Gkids play on their Slip 'N Slide. Sure is a cheap way to keep 'em cool.

I brought in a late lunch for everybody, Chicken Casserole, Potato Smashers, Tomato-Basil Salad, and Chocolate-Covered Oreo Cookie Cake. Enjoy.

For some there's therapy
    for the rest of us there's CHOCOLATE!!

#318 Friend of God, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  19. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Good afternoon, ya'll! Is it bedtime yet? ;)

About two and a half years ago, I had an appointment with my orthodontist to get braces for my teeth (I wish I never did, they look "fake" and "worldly" now), and I had to get an impression done -- a mold of your teeth. They make you bite down on this putty substance and keep it there for a couple of minutes. It was also iced cold and tasted like bubblegum. I had quite a few done -- considering how many times I lost my retainer. About half a year later -- (I only had my braces for about a year) -- I tried this ice cream -- "Bubble Yum" from Breyer's. It is a hot pink coloured, bubble gum flavoured ice cream with gum pieces in it. I really don't like bubblegum, so I do not know what attracted me to it. Anyway, I bought a box and brought it home. I had my first bowl-full sitting on my bed -- watching Nancy Grace. I have watched her for years. I usually have the computer closed down by 6:30 and have things settled down and ready for my show @ 7. After that, lights out.

The iced cold bubblegum ice cream reminded me of the iced cold bubblegum impressions I had done so many times. I fell in love with it. It really doesn't taste like bubblegum -- just an off taste of it. If "great value" made bubblegum, it would taste like this, lol. I indulged in bite after bite -- spoonful after spoonful. Ever since, this ice cream has been a part of my evening routine. Now, the ice cream girl at Wal-Mart is telling me that it has been "discontinued". My heart broke. She pointed me over to a section that had only 11 boxes left and they were all marked half off -- 2 for $4.

So, all 11 boxes are in my deep freeze right now, lol. I wrote Breyers today and told them what happened and expressed how sad I was. da Granny told me I shouldn't torture myself like this -- having only 11 boxes left. That last box is probably gonna make me shed a few tears, lol. You know, something that you love so much -- that tastes so good -- it's hard not to get emotional about it. I know you all probably think I am crazy, but I had to get those last 11 boxes. I couldn't stand thinking of them sitting there for the last time and not buying them all. I wonder how long they will last me?

I am big about buying bulk. You know I always talk about my coffee I make -- bayou blend. I have near 10 gallons of it stored up. I have it 'tweaked' to the perfect taste. I wouldn't know how to describe the taste, but that first quart in the morning is the best of them all. It tastes about 25 minutes for the whole cup to cool so I can drink it. For the first pot, I don't even turn the heating plate on because I pour the whole pot into my cup. The first sip wakes you up and massages yo' taste buds, the next few sips make you wanna slap yo' mama, the next round are just too good to be true, and the aftertaste is one of a kind. No sugar, no creamer, just straight java.

Have a nice afternoon and evening, ya'll. It is hot on the bayous here in Louisiana. Soon it'll be time to fill up the bird baths again for the evening round -- they go dunkin', lol. later, 'gators.

20. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

...and that does it for this Friday. Sleep well, ya'll. :sleeping_2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.