1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

COMMON GROUND COFFEE HOUSE #54

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jun 21, 2004.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

When it comes to old appliances, concrete, old lumber, empty paint cans, etc., we have to drive 30 miles and pay $35.00 a pick-up truck load to dump it.

The local landfill takes only yard waste, but it's free.

We tore down an old aluminum storage shed this week and we can take that to the aluminum recycling shop. We won't get any money for it, but we will for the soda cans we will be taking there. I think they are up to .32 a # now...

Boys left for VBS. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

We have a deposit law for carbonated beverages and beer. You pay 5 cents deposit/container when you buy it - you get 5 cents back when you return them.

Some of the stores have machines that you can put plastic and aluminum cans in - that makes it easier.

The state gets to keep all the nickels that people don't get back when they discard their recyclables in the garbage.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I remember putting a deposit on soda pop bottles and getting it back when the empty bottle was returned - but that was a looooong time ago.

We have a glass recycling center here, but we really don't purchase that much in glass anymore. Everything comes in plastic now, milk, ketchup, mayonnaise, soda pop bottles, etc.

We buy our soda pop only in aluminum cans (so we can save them and get money back!!!)

We have recycling 'dumpsters' throughout the city for aluminum, newspapers, and glass. There is a large one in the Wal-Mart parking lot, so it is not a problem to drop them off...

4. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Good morning, Ya'll!

Here in the deep South, we really need some kind of recycling, but noone is serious about it. Not enough money in it, I guess.

VBS this week in the evening ... Oh, Joy!

5. I Am Blessed 24

Hiya Bob:

It's just been in the past five years or so we started recycling pop cans. We bought a cheap $10.00 can crusher so we can get quite a lot of cans in a lawn-sized trash bag.

It probably isn't worth the effort for the money we get, but it helps the environment and we put the money back for the grands Christmas presents...

6. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

You have to have a place to sell your cans ... not really available here.

7. I Am Blessed 24

That's true and if you have to travel to sell them, the gas would cost more than you would make!

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, what are we doing on page #20???

Moanin' All!

9. I Am Blessed 24

Switching over right now, Sir! [​IMG]

Please join us in the COMMON GROUND COFFEE HOUSE #55...

Thanks!
    §ue