1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Law

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Feb 27, 2010.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

if the law requires you to live together for 1 year and tell people your already married before that same law considers you married, then it's just living together.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would say that biblically, this is shacking up. What Christian would want to be married this way, with no going before God? How does this look to nonbelievers? Even if they know the law allows it, I think it's a bad witness.

This is not about a ceremony being magical. No one believes a ceremony is magical.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

The bible tells us to obey the laws of our country, in most states to be married requires a license, and not having one is shacking up.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

But not all states. That is the law of the land.

5. Magnetic Poles

Going "before God" has nothing to do with a ceremony either. A couple can commit themselves before God with anyone they wish present (or no one else at all). God does not require proxies.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

in ky to be a legal marriage it must be done by someone licensed, not just anyone.
    and if you happen to be married by common law in one of the few states who allow it, your not married is most other states.
    thers still the fact violating the laws violates God command.
    theres also the fact you must live together for 1 year claiming to be already married, before you are actually married by common law, thats 1 year of shacking up and lying about it. and you give consent to it. violating God's commands.

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Before we get carried away on this topic, only a few states (probably less than one-fourth) recognize common law marriage. Also the rules vary from state to state. However, there is an interesting twist to this. If a couple cohabits long enough to be recognized as married in a state that recognizes common law marriage (Colorado for example), and then move to a state that doesn't recognize common law marriage (Kentucky for example), the marriage would be regarded as valid in Kentucky. This is on account of the full faith and credit clause of the U. S. Constitution.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, no, no. They are married by common law the instant that they said "I do," or similar equivalent. It's one year before the state will recognize it and treat it as a legal marriage.

You guys can't look to the statutes for the definition and force of common law. Common law exists apart from the statutes of any legislative body.

Let's look at the converse of the situation. When do you consider a couple divorced? By meeting the statutory requirements, or by another law altogether?

9. Magnetic Poles

I would also add that it would likely never come up. You never know what someone's marriage circumstances are. In my 36 years of marriage, no one has asked about my wedding (which was a traditional one in a church FWIW).

10. Magnetic Poles

You just don't get it. Your own link doesn't say the one year is valid in all jurisdictions. For a fact, it is not.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever gone through probate? A marriage license makes the state a third party of a marriage contract. Many Christians cannot accept that, and, therefore do not get a marriage license.

12. Magnetic Poles

Absolutely right. This is what scares some states about others validating gay marriages.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

it's in there,1 year, read it this time and you'll see it.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

christians supporting sinful behavor, it's beyond me how this can eb done. where do you draw the line for sins you find ok for christians to do, or is there even a line? of course not, some of you support murdering children, there is no line.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

saw it happen

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe you.

18. Magnetic Poles

I did read it. Apparently, you did not. From your link...

This typically means that the couple has cohabitated for a period of time, usually a year or more, while having an agreement to be married and holding themselves out to the world as husband and wife.

Not true in Colorado.

19. Magnetic Poles

Getting married is not sinful. It is just that you have an issue with the manner in which the marriage was initiated.

Nice derail attempt with the "murdering children" comment.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

not surprised, you never do, you make a habit of going around the board calling people liars. fact is, i don't care if you believe me or not, it's not my life's goal to spend the rest of my life making sure aaron believes me, tough luck to you i guess.