1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common to Man?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man . . . 1 Cor. 10:13.

What does this say of those we consider monsters (e.g. pedophiles, serial killers, despots, etc.)? What does this say of us who do not consider ourselves as depraved or monstrous?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

All temptation stems from the same thing...self. Regardless of the sin, this is what's "common to man".

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone can become a monster given the right set of circumstances. I'm sure the Nazi Guards at Auschwitz didn't consider themselves evil. Maybe even righteous. the famous saying "but for the grace of God go I..." is true.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We all have sin nature. God hates sin, and to him, all sin is sin. We are the ones that put labels on different sins. The word monster in the above post for murderers, child molestors, and tyrants is our classification, based on what our flawed minds think about the seriousness of the offense.

You mention murderers and those with depraved minds towards children. We sit here and say we have never done this or that. Yet, in Matthew it is quite clear that any sin can be committed in the mind. Again, we have put a condition or degree on the sin because of the physical vs the mental act. God does not.

It is like the church member who constantly harps on young people involved in sexual sin, or so and so is a drunk, then turn right around and gossip about it while they are stuffing themselves at the latest pot luck.

Maybe we do not consider it fair that in the eyes of God, Hitler and Mother Theresa are both equally guilty sinners, but it points out why everyone is in need of a Savior, and His name is Jesus Christ.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are different levels of sin, though. The different punishments outlined in Scripture are proof of this, not to mention all sin are not considered "abominations". It is true that all sin is the same as far as separation from God, but I believe the Bible alludes to different degrees of Hell, and some being guiltier than others.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I don't think that it means that we all experience every temptation there is to experience. Rather I think we can be comforted to know that we are not unique nor alone in our struggle with temptation. We can know that no matter what we are struggling with there have been both before us and currently other Christians that have that in common with us. We need to know that our temptation is not something so great that no one else has had to deal with it.

The important thing to remember from this verse is that we are assured that God will make a way of escape for us.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All sin, imo, is traced to the 1.lust of the flesh 2.lust of the eyes 3.pride of life

Jesus suffered the temptation of these 3 when tempted by Satan in the wilderness.

1. lust of the flesh- "turn rocks into bread"
    2. lust of the eyes- "all the kingdoms of the world will be yours..."
    3. pride of life- "throw yourself from the top of the temple and let angels bring you down before the people."

Just MHO

peace to you:praying:

8. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Sins of the worst case scenario are not at all normal. The acts of the few shouldn't be weighed against the whole of humanity.

Everyone feels temptations on varying levels. Everyone has committed some sins that are common to all.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Good question!

I believe that God sees mankind as we see these types of sinners. If it were not for God's influence on humanity, both the lost and saved, I think we all would, at best be as bad as any of these monsters mentioned. Imagine what the world will be like when the Holy Spirit is withdrawn after the rapture, if indeed dispensationalism is correct.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. All sin....every single one....can fit into one of these categories.

So did Eve.....the exact same three.

Genesis 3:6 - She saw that the fruit was good for food.

Genesis 3:6 - She saw that the fruit was pleasant to the eye.

Genesis 3:6 - She saw that the fruit was desirable because is it make her wise (as a god).

Eve's problem was that she got into a conversation with the devil. Jesus' victory was that He used God's word's as a shield.

Our flesh, our pride, and our desire for more, more, more.......the devil merely uses a multiple of variations on just three basic themes.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. All sin....every single one....can fit into one of these categories.

So did Eve.....the exact same three.

Genesis 3:6 - She saw that the fruit was good for food.

Genesis 3:6 - She saw that the fruit was pleasant to the eye.

Genesis 3:6 - She saw that the fruit was desirable because is it make her wise (as a god).

Eve's problem was that she got into a conversation with the devil. Jesus' victory was that He used God's word's as a shield.

Our flesh, our pride, and our desire for more, more, more.......the devil merely uses a multiple of variations on just three basic themes.

12. Bobby

Bobby New Member

James 1:13-16
    (13) Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    (14) But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    (15) Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
    (16) Do not err, my beloved brethren.

Was Christ drawn away of his own lust?

If he was, then it had to stop there, it could never had conceived or he would have been a sinner.

He was tempted but never allowed that temptation to take root within himself.

As Christ we also can be tempted, but a walk in the Spirit will keep that from conceiving sin within our members.