1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Commonly used terms NOT found in the Bible

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, I thought we would come up with a list of terms we see all the time on this board that aren't used in the Bible.
    now this is NOT meant to be a debate thread.

Some terms will represent Biblical principle, others will be unfounded tradition.
    The purpose of this is to only bring up things that are not themselves in the Bible. It will remind us that terms we use need to be backed by the Bible in at least in principle.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Can you give an example? I'm not sure what you mean.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not the original poster, but how about "The Rapture"? And I'll include my favorite of non-Biblical phrases- "Repent of your sin(s)". Add that to "turn from your sins", which I don't believe is found in Scripture, either. That's three for starters.

Ed

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, well, Trinity isn't in the Bible, either. :smilewinkgrin:

I agree there are terms that might be misused (like "repent"), but just because a term is not in the Bible doesn't mean it's not true or wrong (like Trinity and rapture).

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't know about this board but my favorite in Church is to hear someone say, "the bible says spare the rod spoil the child."

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"God helps those who help themselves"

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

A good topic.
    Just a thought. You may want to limit the translations of the Bible. I think the Living Bible and other modern translations may use some of these terms.

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Isn't that an oxymoron?

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • "cleanliness is next to Godliness"
    • "God works in mysterious ways"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's one that really gets me irritated. "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord".

I hear this one preached at funerals all of the time. I'm not saying that the principle behind the misquote isn't true, but it is definitely a misquote not matter whose translation you use.

Here what it really says. My paraphrasing of the King James.....I highly suggest you read it for yourself.

2 Corinthians 5:6-9

verse 6...we as christian understand very well that while we are at home in our physical bodies that means that we are absent from God's presence in heaven.

verse 7...we understand this because we walk by faith and not by sight

verse 8...but we are confident in our willingness to give this earth up and we, as God's people, would rather be absent from the body and be present in heaven with God

verse 9...but it really doesn't matter where we are at any given time...here on earth or in heaven...what should be the primary concern on our mind is making ourselves worthy and acceptable unto our God

10. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

How about--"the lion will lay down with the lamb"

And my all time favorite one that is misused here--"I judge with righteous judgment"

Bro Tony

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Bro Tony, you used mine! We have a bookstore in town named the Lion and the Lamb, and it makes me smile quite frequently when I visit them. (They're friends, but still...)

12. drfuss

drfuss New Member

How about "Once saved, always saved"?

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think anyone quotes this as a bible verse? It is a viewpoint on eternal security.

14. Milady

Milady New Member

Rapture was just the type of thing I was talking about.
    I was actually going to use that myself but it was too late and I didn't get a post in of my own examples last night.

Once saved always saved is another good one. And come to think of it, so is eternal security.

:)

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sorry about that last post. Milady is my wife and I posted with her logged in.

For the purpose of this post, it doesn't matter if there is a Biblical concept represented by the word or phrase, just the fact that it isn't actually in the Bible.

I will add a few more:

Freewill
    Baptist ( at least as a denomination)
    Hey, denomination for that matter
    If you have denomination then how about "non-denominational"

Baptism by immersion

Ok...I will let others add a few :)

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"Money is the root of all evil."

I Timothy 6:10 says that it's the LOVE of money, not money itself.

(You can be dirt poor and love money, you know.) :smilewinkgrin:

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree with Scarlett O. that this is a misquote, technically. However I do not believe that that can be said to be "unBiblical", per se, given the thread topic is:
    " Commonly used terms NOT found in the Bible". The actual verses she cited and are here quoted, of II Cor. 5:6-9 are:
    " 6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. 9 Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him." (NJKV)

However when one compares verses 6 and 8 together, it would seem that that is what is being said, as she also alluded to.

I am more concerned, personally, with phrases not found in Scripture, but in Baptist pulpits, such as "really and truly believe" or "ask Jesus into your heart" or "make Jesus Lord" (Apparently God didn't do a good enough job with that, to hear some preachers tell it) :rolleyes: , to name a few more.

Ed

#17 EdSutton, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2006
  18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Baptism by immersion" is not found, because that'w what the word "baptism" means. It's redundant.

19. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

It's like saying, "walk by walking".

DUHHHH

How about:

The Great Commission
    The Last Supper
    "God poured out His wrath on His Son" (I've been guilty of preaching this...not only is it not scripture, but, technically, it isn't true)
    The 10 Commandments
    Calvinism and Arminianism (obviously)
    Piano

Were any other these phrases to be used 1,900 years ago, people wouldn't know what you were talking about, perhaps with the exception of the 10 Commandments.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I always assumed Baptist came from John the Baptist?