1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Communion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 14, 2021.

?
  1. Unrestricted open

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Open for born again Christians only

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Close communion

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Closed Communion

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire - Thanks for the correction -
    my only excuse - I'm old

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a mighty handy excuse, though. :)

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything like that would make you happy wouldn't it You have so much hate Austin I feel sorry for anyone with so much hatred. Remember what goes around come around.
    MB

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don’t see the problem with this.

Believers interact with unbelievers every time they worship.

Just because some unbelievers run to extreme in some manner is just the way of the unsaved. They reside as condemned as the hypocrite that warms the pew as a trusted pastor. If such do not adhere to the warning of Scripture, they will most certainly reap the judgement pronounced in the same Scripture.

Believers are in the world, but not of the world, so encounters with the unsaved is the normal course of a “tent maker” (or what ever business one is engaged, perhaps even as a consumer.

I was present when it was revealed to the church that their pastor was a serial adulterer (he had beaded at least 18 married women in the church) yet he regularly lead and partook of the Lord’s table elements.

Was this trusted man in less then those you mentioned?

The point I make is that the Corinthians experienced individual judgement because of their lax discipline and teaching.

Individual accountability.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly we encounter and interact with unbelievers in this world, else we would have to go out of the world. Obviously unbelievers can and do attend worship. None of that is a reason for incorporating them into the church's worship.
    First, this is sad situation for a church to have such a pastor. I find it somewhat incredible that he got that far with no one noticing. Hard to judge from afar, but it seems the church might have lacked discernment to let someone that serially adulterous to go that far unnoticed. (Or perhaps they were stymied with unbiblical instruction regarding "touch not God's anointed.) However, just because someone who shouldn't was getting by not only taking but also serving the Lord's supper does not mean we should find that acceptable, nor use it as a guide to invite others who shouldn't.
    I have no disagreement with that, and find this point favors a restricted view of communion over an open one. We might avert some cases of individual judgment if the church would exercise strict discipline and teaching.

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't address the issue. Would you approve of the Corinthian church partaking in the Lord's supper?

7. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to apologize for missing the mark and wrongly stating that Christ was the first to receive new covenant baptism. John was already administering new covenant baptism to prepare a people for the Lord when Christ came to him for baptism. I should have caught the error when I proofread the text. Again I apologize.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholics have communion. Baptists have The Lords Supper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? We partake of a sadir meal together?