1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Companies Could Pay Fines, Cut Hours to Avoid Obamacare

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jedi Knight, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know I, not having seen your posts in quite a while, forgot your little games you play. I will leave you to your misery.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a load of malarky. Better tell that to a whole host of service industries. The list is endless.

Good to see you back. I haven't seen posts this silly since you were last here.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

"healthcare mess"

The starting point is to get the government out of healthcare. Period. Especially the federal government. That includes phasing out Medicare. That includes getting out of the business of federal grants for medical research and such. That includes stripping the Food & Drug Admin of maybe 90% of their control over the marketplace. (Sure, we need some mininum standards to keep crooks from adding chalk to milk -- see history.)

Next, reform malpractice lawsuits. Allow doctors to treat their patients without the sword of malpractice hanging over their heads for every cup of hot coffee a patient sets between his legs. Yes, punish the incompetent. Yes, REASONABLY compensate when accidents happen.

A doctor is just like anyone else with a job. A good doctor should make a profit, when he opens the doors of his practice. Look at the debt that most have accumulated for education by the time they receive their license to practice medicine. How will that debt be paid if a doctor can't make a profit?

In this case profit equals patient fees paid less expense of operating the practice, including massive amounts of malpractice insurance. Insurance needed to protect himself from the likes of me who is looking for an excuse to sue and be set for life with millions in damages. So, in addition to paying hefty premiums for malpractice insurance, he is going to order a dozen tests while he's treating my hangnail. He can't just put a little Neosporin and a bandaid on it and send me home with an aspirin. He knows I'll sue if ANYTHING even appears to go wrong.

(Sorry, I got on a rant.)

There is always a profit motive whether manufacturing a product or providing a service. It is just like gravity! If I hire someone to verify the boundries of my property, he isn't going to do it out of the kindness of his heart. That's what he does to make a living. With the service he provides, the only way he can save for retirement is to make some profit off of me. Same thing if he wants to send his children to college or pay for insurance for his children. If he has to carry massive amounts of business liability insurance, he has to pass the cost on to me to make a profit. After all, he still has to educate his children and/or replace worn out surveying equipment.

Our church is a "non-profit" organization for tax purposes. Soon, we'll be having a fundraiser event. We'll be selling plates of food. After deducting expenses of purchasing and preparing the food, we hope to make a profit. We're in the "short rows" (farming expression for being near the end of a job) with our building loan. We are hoping to have enough profit to burn the note.

In a free enterprize business environment, and else where, fair practice competition will control the amount of profit that's earned. If our church prices our plates too high, we will not make a profit. If the guy surveying my property prices his service too high, I'll hire someone else. If government gets involved and tries to regulate (control) either one of these services, free enterprise no longer exists.

Yes, it was a good weekend. Thank you. Everytime I have the opportunity to go to church and worship our Saviour, in fellowship with others, it is a good day. :praying:

In closing,

Profit exists.
    It has existed, in some manner, since Genesis 1:1.
    Profit in and of itself is not evil.
    Why would a shepherd tend sheep if he could not profit from them? :flower:

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The next time your car needs maintenance, tell this to the mechanic.

This statement shows that you would have no business being in business. You have no idea what you're talking about.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or the plumber, or the A/C repairman, or...

It's a long list.

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Yep, that's what I thought: you CAN'T show me where I wrote it.
    Is it too much to ask that you stick with what I actually write?
    To do otherwise is, by definition, intellectual dishonesty.

Truth be told, I didn't write anything about what you claim. Sorry that you couldn't stick to what I wrote.

Regards anyway, I guess.....
    BiR

7. Baptist in Richmond

Actually, I probably am more successful than you are, not that it matters.
    I am specifically referring to healthcare, not my auto mechanic.
    Any chance you can address the point I made - rather than going with an flawed analogy? Probably not, but I at least had to ask.

Regards anyway,
    BiR

#27 Baptist in Richmond, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  8. Baptist in Richmond

The question here is simple: are we providing a service (healthcare), or are we making a profit? The two are mutually exclusive. This isn't a question of hanging a shingle and being an auto mechanic (as arbo has strangely interjected), we are talking about healthcare and its provision. As I outlined in my analogy a few pages back, at what point is the profit going to supersede the need for care? What is the breakeven point that determines whether or not a life is worth the cost of saving? This isn't a repair bill, it's a life (or a quality of life). I know: at some level these questions are rhetorical, but it does make one think.

Thanks for replying - I very much enjoy reading your posts. Though I may not agree with you, I admire your eloquence.

Great to hear your weekend was as good as mine!
    BiR

P.S. I wouldn't disagree with you about FDA - and the DofEDU as well.....

9. Baptist in Richmond

That YOU, of all people, would make an observation about "silly" posts, is not without a sense of irony.....

Some things haven't changed. But, by all means, if you would like to specifically discuss healthcare (and not "a whole host of service industries"), feel free to address my scenario posted a few pages back.

BiR