1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Company Hired by Southern Seminary Supports Diversity

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by go2church, Mar 21, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

You took the words right out of my mouth...or should I say keyboard. [​IMG]

Bobby, I think it is rather sad that you consider your education top notch, but because you had to move, etc you would not recommend them now. Again, points to the fact that you were more interested in your own needs being met.

Back a few years ago when I was contemplating DMin programs I stayed in one of those places that got replaced and I must say it was much needed. It is a sad thing that you and others were put out, but the seminary needed to upgrade, and when that happens at places, someone is going to get the short end. But I bet the Lord provided for all those involved...

Yet now you are more concerned with bashing the seminary and Dr. Mohler over a new building, rather than focus on the fact that the Lord allowed you to get a top notch education, which is the purpose of the seminary. I am proud to be a DMin student at Southern, and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone!

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm sorry, i didn't realize that i wasn't permitted to have an opinion about things here.

Once again, you are reading into my comments what you want...i was not bashing anyone. You have said for worst things about me than i have said about SBTS or Dr Mohler. About the extent of it for me was saying a lot of things are being done as a legacy for Dr Mohler...i on the other hand have been accused of being selfish due to the hardships my family went through as a result of our time at SBTS, i have been accused of sinning for voicing my opinion.
    Wow...i am amazed by this, i really am.

As for the housing situation that was mentioned earlier, yes; those buildings were in horrible shape, and a lot of it had to do with the fact that it took an act of congress to get anything fixed. But you cannot deny the fact that they started a semester, obviously with plans to build new apartments, but waited until May to tell everyone that they had to be out in 2 months. And now they have over priced apartments that most students can't afford to live in, and apparently are half empty.

Personally, my prayers are for those 94 families who are forced to find work, especially those who are backed into a corner as a result of this. I also continue to pray for God's will to be done in and through the administration of SBTS, OFTEN...not for changes, not for "judgement" like students back in 95 were praying for; but for God's will, plain and simple.

And i do believe that it is possible to appreciate a truly great education due to a truly great faculty; but not appreciate the actions of the administration.

These are my opinions, based on my experience...so please don't assume i have selfish motives here, or that i am deeply rooted in sin that i need to repent of. I have not personally attacked anyone here for their views or opinions, and think i deserve the same respect.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't. Am I to assume you believe everything Baptist Press writes instead? The fact is that I read ABP and BP news.

What do you think about the fact that the SBC hired some of their own men who stole people's money in the Baptist Foundation of Arizona and never gave anyone the slightest indication of an apology to anyone. Do you call that integrity. Most businesses would be held accountable for the actions of its employees. But not so called Christian organizations. Is the SBC above doing the right thing? Is that ethical? What kind of witness to the world is that?

Don't need to read ABP or BP news. I was there and the church I was pastoring lost a lot of money along with many others. There were retired people who lost their money to live on.

Would you call that southern diversity--covering up the truth and avoid the real issue. The trustees did the same thing when Dilday was fired. The chairman of the trustees at the time was a great man of the devil. He was shacking up with two ladies in his church at the time.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is not a syndrome but a truth. Jesus is not a syndrome but the truth.

I can remember well when Dr. Dilday visited a close friend of mine when his wife was very sick in the hospital. For several months I worked on the presidents home and Dr. Dilday treated me with the greatest respect. If every Christian treated others like that the world would never have any reason to pick apart believers. Never once in our personal conversations did I ever hear him say one bad thing about anyone.

5. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

I don't need to read any press release to know what happens at Southern.

As for what happened at SWBTS, I was not there, so you may be right. But, that really is inconsequential with this issue.

My point is that none of you are at Southern and know what is going on, so you base your opinions on the slanted articles of ABP, the Courier-Journal, and Ethics Daily. I might remind you that all 3 of those hate anything SBC and especially anything dealing with Southern. They didn't tell the whole story, and tries to make Southern look bad. Some of you have evidently bought it.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great to know we have someone who knows my mind and follows me around like a puppy dog. Typical of the SBC papers lies and exaggerations. Why can't they just abide by scripture or are they so blind they can't see. What do you think about the SBC papers when they honor people who gives large sums of money to build edifices to encourage architectural image? Call that biblical. What did Jesus say about that? Who were the only people Jesus condemned? The religionists.

The fact is that I have visited Southern. So who are you to say in such arrogance I have never been to Southern. I decided against it to go as a student because it was not nearly the quality of SWBTS.

I am not bitter about the SBC. I am angry about their terrible witness to non-believers. IT makes me angry when the man who delivers my mail knows about such infighting. It angers me when a professor friend of mine knows about such things in the south. It angers me when the former registrar tells me how low the academic standards are and how they are not up to the standard. It angers me when a professor tell sme how he was criticized for bwing too hard on the students yet the vast majority of his students at the seminary have earned Ph.D.'s. It angers me when Patterson hollers for money for the seminaries and wants an addition ot the presidents home for his library.

I always thought that Jesus taught to count others as more important than ourself and that the leader was to be last not first.

Greed and putting self first is just exactly what the world teaches. How are church folks different? That is what Jesus taught. He taught that we are to be different. When God is in the plan we don't need to be greedy. We don't need to put self first.