1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comparison of SBTS and SEBTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JGrayhound, Dec 13, 2003.

1. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Which is the better seminary and why?

I would like to hear what people have to say about this. Thank you for the input.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think that is very hard question to answer and would greatly depend on what you are looking for in a seminary. I think both are quality schools, and each have their own unique personality and feel to them while giving a sound theological education. Just my thoughts... [​IMG]

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I am an alumnus of both schools and until recently I would say the difference in the two is the difference in their presidents: Mohler and Patterson. Although things have changed slightly at SEBTS, I would still say that is a fair assessment.

4. bt

bt New Member

Noting the differences with Patterson and Mohler, where does Akin fall?

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I would think he is closer to Patterson.

6. All about Grace

Akin has changed some since leaving SEBTS (IMO). He is probably a good balance between the two.

7. Baptist born Baptist bred

I think the difference between Southern and Southeastern has more to do with their focus than with their president. Southern tends to focus on being the flagship. They comment on almost every event that happens in culture. This is not bad, we need someone to do this work. They also tend to be more Calvinistic.

However, Southeastern, it seems to me, focuses more on missions and perhaps more on evangelism. They desire for every student to go on at least one mission trip and have built a building centering around missions work. Southeastern tends to be less Calvinistic.

The educations at both institutions will be great. If I were you, I would visit both and attend a chapel service at both before making a decision on which one I would attend.

8. All about Grace

As I said, it is the difference in Mohler and Patterson. What you described characterizes each man and his philosophy.

9. Baptist born Baptist bred

SBCbyGRACE
    Member # 2764

posted December 16, 2003 01:48 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As I said, it is the difference in Mohler and Patterson. What you described characterizes each man and his philosophy.

Point taken, but my point is that I don't want to say that Mohler is not an evangelist or not concerned about missions. Likewise, Patterson is not just an evangelist but an excellent theologians who can easily address modern culture.

We are saying similar things, but I prefer to group the discussion around the focus of the institution rather than the individual. One reason for doing this, lies in the fact that I don't think Southeastern will change its focus with Dr. Akin coming on as president. Perhaps, I am wrong, but I anticipate that Southeastern will continue to be known as the place for missions and evangelism for a long time to come. If so, then the discussion shouldn't be tied too closely to Dr. Patterson.