1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Competition?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This was posted in another thread:

Is that against the rules?
    I don't remember seeing a prohibition to linking other sites like that.
    If we are after edification and learning and fellowship, why should we act as if other Christian sites are somehow competitors and should not be mentioned.

I have mentioned and linked the BB on other forums but I have never been asked not to.

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I can see their rationale. I am assuming that BB gets money for how many times the ads are clicked, or viewed for that matter, so if BB looses members, they would also lose money.

On a side note, Dale, I would say the great thing about the BB in contrast to (unnamed board) is that there is a much more laid back manner in posting, less formal. On the (unnamed board) it is like people are writing essays in response to questions, perfecting grammar, editing, rough drafts, the whole deal.

Or they are just smarter than us! :laugh:

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I guess that explains why it's okay to spread the ME works-based gospel heresy on the board.

Money talk$. Nobody walk$.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

This isn't a ME thread nPetreley, though if you are a Christian and going to obsess about any one doctrine, you've picked a good one.

5. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I recently joined a "Christian Forum" that I wish I had never signed up.
    the members are the most rude and arogant bunch of people who claim to be christians I ever had the displeasure of comunicating withwith the exception of a few.
    plus if the moderators disagreed with what you wrote they would delete your post.:tonofbricks:

this Forum has a much friendlier group of people.

OH and I forgot to mention you get bombarded with popup spam every time you visited or posted to a thread. that place is ridiculus

#5 Archeryaddict, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I went to the "Posting Rules", and the only one I could find about advertising was this:

7. No solicitation or advertising of any kind. Our message boards are for discussions, not to sell goods or services. If you would like to advertise, please contact us for an advertising package.

In my opinion, if someone mentions or provides a link to another Christian board or mailing-list (whether it be the Puritan Board, GenevaNet, or whatever) they are in no way "selling goods or services". Of course, if someone were to post a message saying something such as: "Leave the Baptist Board and join Board X instead" that is a different matter.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Exactly.
    I post on many boards and link between them a lot.
    I just don't see the big deal, unless it is for the advertisers money.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This is a privately owned board. The mods and administrators are obligated to follow the owner's wishes. If the owner doesn't want links to other boards then they will be deleted. Simple as that.

If one doesn't like that, one doesn't have to post here. We are all here because the owner chooses to provide for the needs of the board. We have no right to anything here, even posting.

Be glad Bro. Andrew allows what he allows.

:rolleyes:

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I have no argument with that. Clearly if this board is someone's private property, it is as you say up to him what he allows/disallows. That said, we as members need to know what is acceptable and what is not if we wish to keep within the owner's guidelines. If it's not on the Posting Rules, how are we to know?

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well, seems like it used to be on the posting rules. I've been here a long time and don't ever recall this being allowed.

11. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Posting a link to another Board has never been allowed in my time here. It falls under the "No Advertising" rule, I think.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

In that case, might I suggest that the wording of Posting Rule 7 needs changing, to make it clear that it does not only cover advertising by the producer or service provider? At present the rule says:

7. No solicitation or advertising of any kind. Our message boards are for discussions, not to sell goods or services. If you would like to advertise, please contact us for an advertising package. ​

If it really is meant to include the posting of links purely for information (not selling anything) perhaps it should say something like:

7. No solicitation or advertising of any kind. Our message boards are for discussions, not to sell goods or services. This rule also prohibits the posting of links to other sites. If you would like to advertise, please contact us for an advertising package. ​

But of course, as I implied before, if this Board is someone's private property, it is up to him.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is what I was getting at.

If the owner wants to ban all people with brown hair, he is within his rights to do that.
    BUt like David said, it would be nice if it were more clear what the rules really were.

14. Donald Baker

Donald Baker New Member

Well I posted a link to my forum in my first thread, but I'm desperate. I just want to borrow some folks until the storm passes.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That actually WOULD be an advertisement of sorts.
    I just asked about another forum which I am in no way affiliated with.