1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Components of a Biblical prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Van, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Nehemiah 1:1-11

Adoration – O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps our covenant of love.

Confession – I confess the sins of those in my community, including myself.

Laying claim to the promises of God – if you are unfaithful, I will scatter, but if you return to me and obey my commandments, I will gather in the chosen dwelling place.

Asking for help in the ministry of God – Give your servant success by granting him favor in the presence of this man.

Notice how central the community of believer is in the prayer, it is the community that is blessed by the covenant of love, it is not only I but the community who has gone astray, it is community that will be gathered, and my efforts are to help my community.

To often we ask God to fix a problem supernaturally, rather than lighting our path as we carry out His ministry. These sort of appeals for miracles are akin to testing God, something Jesus taught we should not do. Is asking God to bring America to her senses rather than asking God to show us how to help build up our community of believers a biblical prayer?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,

I think I understand what your last statement means, and I would agree with your thinking on Nehemiah's prayer.

As it would apply to the believer(s), personally it is my view that the typical assembly is not far from what the typical folks of pre-captivity days in Israel - far from God.

Nehemiah's prayer should be a good guide to any believer who is grieved by the assembly's sinfulness.

Notice too, that it wasn't a small matter of urgent prayer, but coupled with a longer fast and mourning time of tears and multiple prayers.

Also, I don't look at Nehemiah's prayer as the only one he prayed following days of fasting and mourning, nor was it being repetitiously prayed throughout the days of fasting and mourning.

Rather, I picture him as if pealing an union. Each time an issue of sin came to his mind, he would peal that layer off with more tears, mourning and prayer over that issue.

Glad you directed Nehemiah to us.

How would that translate to "America?" By the assembly being truly righteous in all matters of faith and practice, they become a catalyst of change in the communities.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Similar to the A.C.T.S. of Prayer

Adoration
    Confession
    Thanksgiving
    Supplication

Rob