1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

computer advice

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by steveo, May 13, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

I am a computer dummie and need advice.
    Someone gave me their old laptop that is a pentium 1. I think it is a Zenon(I'm not at home)
    Can you upgrade this laptop to a 2 or 3 etc?

2. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I doubt it. Most laptop computers have the processor soldered on to the motherboard using surface mount solder joints. I've never seen a laptop that had a socket or slotted processor which would allow it to be removed. Of course they might exist (I don't know). To upgrade the processor would usually require a new mother board and in the case of a laptop that would usually mean a new laptop.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you provide the make and model, we might be able to find out, although Zenon doesn't make computers anymore and support is tough to find.

It sounds like like you have a P-120. Even if you could upgrade, you probably couldn't go very far and your ability to upgrade memory might also be limited (and more expensive.) Even at that, however, you probably would get more bang for your buck by increasing memory than by boosting processor speed.

Notebooks are notorious for having lots of things hardwired to the motherboard (which is what saves space) and full of proprietary (and expensive) parts.

4. steveo

steveo New Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    It will work for typing sermons, bullitens and bible study etc..

5. Brett

Brett New Member

If all you're using it for is typing stuff, then the laptop you have is more than acceptable. But if you ever find that you need it for other things, then your only real option is to purchase a new laptop. As many people here have pointed out already, laptops are next to impossible to upgrade. Even if your computer was a regular desktop computer I wouldn't recommend upgrading; I'd just buy a new one: you usually can't upgrade 4 generations of technology. [​IMG]