1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Conceal Carry in Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a bumper snicker the other day that said,

"God made all men. Sam Colt made all men equal"

:laugh:

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

We just have a different understanding in this issue, my brother. If you were at my church, I wouldn't be dishonest with you about the matter, and you would leave in peace according to your own understanding of what faith and courage are. I will respect your view.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    USN,
    I'm not sure if I respect that view (of Alive).
    If that were the case, then why should a church have fire extinguishers, why should a church be required to have running water, should a church require background checks, ect. As Alive says "seek a church where they put their trust in GOD, "
    I wonder if he is actually consistent in his trust in God?

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

12 strings...

That could be the case, I dont know. If they do, I hope they dont tell me, because I would have a decision to make.

A few MEN?? Protecting thier women and children??

Why stop there? Women can shoot as good as men. Give them guns. But THAT might not be enogh. A gang might come in.

Why not just have someome at the door passing out the pistols to everyone over 18? All men women and kids over 18 get heat.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Perhaps you should find out. If your position is that strong, then you should know for sure, IMO.

Who said anything about giving anyone guns?

BTW, women in our church and surrounding community do take the concealed carry classes. Mix is usually about 50/50. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that some women in our church have more than makeup and car keys in their handbags on Sunday mornng.

Again, "passing"/giving out guns. (sigh) Before continuing with this line of thought, and such comments, perhaps you should find out if there's a possibility that the person sitting beside you next Sunday is packing a gun with church approval.

WHAT IS YOUR CHURCH'S POLICY ON GUNS?

Are there signs posted prohibiting concealed weapons on church property?
    Is there a policy statement in the By-Laws of your church?
    Does your pastor, deacons, or anyone else in leadership concealed carry?

Again, personal opinion, I could not make take a stance -- make such a declaration on a position -- without following through on my words.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't know, but will find out our policy on guns.
    I have been the pastor of churches and planted a few and I don't believe guns were ever brought up. All the folks as far as I know left them at home. I know I got my rear put on fire by my dad for bringing a hunting knife to church, I guess he would have put me on the fast track to haven if I brought a gun to church.
    By driving a semi cross country for more years than I would like to recall, to places I didn't care to go and wasn't allowed by the government to have a gun in the truck, I guess I put guns out of my mind. Yes, I've had a few guns pointed at me over the years, but all worked out ok.
    Just checked with pastor and there isn't anything about guns in the bylaws. However he said in the minutes years ago there was a report to leave your guns at home or go home after service to pick them up to go hunting, they were getting it said upward of 35 shotguns in the office and they felt like that was to many.
    I just don't see a need for them at church, but each to their own.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Bob Alkire posted...

Good post.

I dont see the need either.

I dont see the nee

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob Alkire

What????..like the Petro in West Memphis:laugh::laugh:I know who wish you were here for lunch...lol.

The scalehouse said they were still waiting for you!

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No one sees a need for a gun in church - until someone who doesn't care what the laws, bylaws, or the signs on the doors say comes in with one and shoots it up.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That is one dirty place. But all in all it isn't that bad.
    Slidell, La. and the entire New Orleans area , Vine Lombardi rest area I had the wrong end of a gun pointed at me at all those places. But over 40 some years out there that wasn't much.
    Tell the man at the scale house, I'll catch him next time; I'll take US 70 this time.

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I've been going to church from the 40's on and never needed one in church. You have a better chance getting shot in a7/11 type store than any place most people go. I just have never had much fear, which could be good or bad.

#31 Bob Alkire, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since 1/1/99 there have been 649 deadly force incidents in churches with 431 people killed.

I carry all the time, even at home. I have done so for many, many years. My life, the life of my wife, the lives of my children and grandchildren, and the lives of my brothers and sisters in Christ meeting with us in worship are all worth the time, effort, and expense to own and be proficient with a firearm.

Jesus made it very clear, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” Luke 22:36.

Jesus commanded us to be prepared to defend ourselves and others. To say you would leave a church that allows people to obey Christ's commands is anti-christ, anti-bible, and anti-good sense. :(

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Fear is not the issue, and whether you have a "better chance" or not isn't the issue.

Our world is changing whether church folks like it or not.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the insurance company, churches that fail to do due diligence in preparing a response plan in case there is an attack in the church will face certain liabilities.

15. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

If being prepared because Jesus said too does not get their attention, then a word from the insurance company will get their attention!:thumbsup:

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Someone who would leave a church because someone has a concealed weapon is probably someone a church is better off without. If this is so upsetting then god knows what other petty issues this person would get upset about.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is more common that most people actually know.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

First, our church encourages concealed carry. We have a responsibility to protect our little ones. It is NOT o.k. to say, "God is sovereign, so I can shirk my duty." We trust God to provide us with food...yet we still go to the grocery store. We trust God to provide us with shelter...but we still go house shopping.

Frankly, for you to state that we don't "trust God" simply because we are obeying His commands, is quite offensive.

Luk_22:36 He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Notice, that is not a suggestion. Protection of family and each other, is a Christian DUTY. It is not optional.

19. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

IMO, you are exactly right. Recently I've been working on a Bible study on being prepared. First and foremost being prepared to meet our Lord. Next, addressing "God will provide" for those who use that as an excuse not to do what they can to be in a position to help themselves. AND to help those less fortunate around them. Legitimate "widows and orphans". There are over 60 scripture verses, taken in context, in this study.

Yes, it is correct to turn the other cheek. So far, I haven't found anything in scripture that says we are supposed to turn the other cheek of those in our care, as well. A man is blessed when he gives up his life for another. What's God's view of a man who chooses not to do everything, within his means, to protect his loved ones? Thus, possibly giving up his life and THEIRS, as well?

That's an individual question that each must decide for themselves. The bigger question is this. How does God view those who deny others the opportunity to do everything within their means to protect those in their care?

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Also, we have to remember that "turning the other cheek" is in response to a slap in the face (insulting and demeaning). Not a deadly attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.