1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Conceal Carry in Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So just to be clear, if God forbid, a man walked into your church with an assult rifle and began randomly shooting people, and a church member pulled out a pistol and shot him before he could kill 20 or 30 people...and you found out that the pastor knew that member was carrying and was Ok with it, you would immediately leave the church for that sole reason?

Also, is this your position about all locations...or just churches?

#41 12strings, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Many seem to see a problem with not having your weapon in church and I don't I did a little checking yesterday calling pastors and friends to see what their take on this was.
    Most churches didn't have anything in their bylaws about guns. As I brought up yesterday a few churches said you could leave your guns in the office while service was going on, most of those were from the 30's and 40's or before.
    No church that I check with or their association has had a shooting at church.
    However quite a few had pastors who shall we say liked other people's wifes and daughters more than their own wife. A few had pastors who left town with church money and at times with someone's daughter or wife.
    Seems to have more DWI write ups than I would have thought, most in the last 10 years or so, most youth pastors and music leaders. A few have had child molestation. As far as I can see, weapons in church isn't a big deal, mostly a new deal in my part of the country and after going over 45 years where it was against the law for me to have one with me, I've learned to live well without them and today I don't go in as rough places as I had to go then. But as I said before, each to their own.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Quoting an earlier poster: "Since 1/1/99 there have been 649 deadly force incidents in churches with 431 people killed."

What you are saying is the equivalent of a person on the coast going, "A hurricane has never hit my house before. I called around, to some friends who have houses on the coast, and a hurricane never hit their house, either. I don't need wind insurance..."

You MIGHT be one of the ones who never need it; or, just as likely, you will be one of the ones who DO need it, and don't have it. Having a pistol on your person, is like having a pair of jumper cables in your car...its usually about others, but you just might need it as well..

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 26:52, New International Version (©2011)
    "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    anti-gun folks, please answer a question: If a rabid dog were about to attack your children, would you shoot it?

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

#46 Bob Alkire, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are really that concerned then put away the pistols that put all your members in deaths way and try something that is effective and non-lethal. What you ask? Glad you ask.

If you really are so worried given each usher a can of wasp and bee spray. It sprays a stream ten to twelve feet and is more effective than pepper spray. It is extremely effective in rendering a person harmless and if innocent church attendees or members are hit they will not be killed or permanently harmed. The attacker will be rendered helpless and can be held until the police arrive.

Wasp and bee spray is also more effective at home. Keep it by the door and use when necessary.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Ok, Crabby you and Joe Biden bring the concealed wasp spray.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Or a phone recording of a shotgun being cocked.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we need to replace the phrase, "In God do we trust" to "In our weapons do we trust".

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We trust in God for our Second Amendment

This explains why you don't want weapons in church - you head is in the sand.....

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granted, it was one sentence, and got surrounded by lengthier posts; so I'm going to ask again:

If a rabid animal were threatening your children, would you shoot it?

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Without weapons, those words "In God we trust" wouldn't exist.

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Right. Cause Jesus had a job to do; namely, to go to the cross. Jesus was just telling them that anyone who interfered with his mission, would get killed.

OH, HOW THIS VERSE IS RIPPED OUT OF CONTEXT BY LIBERAL THEOLOGIANS!

Notice He said to "put it back" in its scabbard....He didn't tell him to get rid of it, because Jesus is the one who told him to buy it in the first place.

Try again. We are commanded, by Christ, to carry weapons for protection. :tonofbricks:

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yeah, this is ridiculous.. you need some training. I taught self defense techniques for years. You know what MOST killers with a gun do, when you blind them and put them in pain? They start SHOOTING RANDOMLY.

Wasp spray (or pepper spray...the assertion that Wasp spray is better than pepper spray is ridiculous. There are high concentration pepper sprays that can hit a target from 20 yards....more, with the pistol variety. Try using wasp spray on a bear, and tell me how effective it is...) is great against a guy with a knife, or against an animal; someone or something you can run from; because they cannot see you to catch you. It is SUICIDAL against a person with a pistol. You cannot outrun a bullet.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

For Crabby it is, "In our government we do trust."

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

12 strings..you posted...

So just to be clear, if God forbid, a man walked into your church with an assult rifle and began randomly shooting people, and a church member pulled out a pistol and shot him before he could kill 20 or 30 people...and you found out that the pastor knew that member was carrying and was Ok with it, you would immediately leave the church for that sole reason?

Yes, I probably would.

Also, is this your position about all locations...or just churches?

Yes, Churches. When Gods people gather, be it 4oo in in a church building or 5 or 6 christians in a public park who, on the spur of the moment start singing christian songs...Christ is present and everything changes.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

How does "everything change"?

Scripture?

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

agree

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Ridiculous. Like saying "We trust in food" because we eat, and don't "trust God" to provide supernatural sustenance without consumption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.