1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Concerns

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Don, Oct 15, 2001.

1. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

> I would like to know, how many times does someone get warned about this before they are invited not to post any longer. The rules state that name calling and insults are not game here. Anyone have an answer?

BWS: If the insulter is the moderator, chances are that they won't be warned at all...
    ;)

2. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Paul:
    John Paul:
    I urge Jimmy Higgins to get a life.

[​IMG]
    John Paul
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Link to quote

Is this the quality of discussion this board is looking for? I have a feeling, if I posted or any other "non-Baptist" posted a remark as such, a swift and unilateral banning would have occured. I state a word which is the Internet terminology for their method of posting, and that gets censored. If the moderators are going to show a bias towards members rather than fruitful conversation, that's their choice, but perhaps that should be in bold letters on the top of this site.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Christian members of this site are welcomed to make any comments at atheists which is contradicting, insulting, hurtful, or in any other manner disrespectful, as long as a Graemlin follows it ;). Atheists are only welcomed to post with very conservative speech and tone. Any reaction to above mentioned attacks will be met with immediate banning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I'm asking is equal censorship. Why does John Paul get to insult me?

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Jimmy Higgins ]

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I and any other respectable atheist...am and would be greatly offended by that accusation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never even occurred to me that it would be considered an oxymoron...until you introduced the concept. [​IMG]

Accusation? Hardly. Observation.

Your purpose in posting on a message board such as this is to see what the other side thinks, and to introduce your beliefs--which are in direct contradiction to most of the people here--in an attempt to show that we are wrong...because, ultimately, you know that you are right.

When you see Christians being derisive toward each other, you cannot tell me that you don't sit back and say, "There's an example of the problem with their beliefs. They can't even agree with each other, and resort to ad hominems in order to belittle and beat each other into submission."

Thus, your work--to show the weaknesses in our beliefs--is done. Or so you think.

5. livin'intheword

livin'intheword New Member

Hmmm, ok then. We may bite, haggle, whine, moan and call names, but when That Day comes we're all going to the same place. Heh, wouldn't it just serve us right for the Lord to make all of us live in the same house? :eek:

Paula

6. John Wells

John Wells New Member

BWSmith: You could even name forum #(2) "Baptists whose salvation is in jeopardy" so there wouldn't be any doubt about which forum is the home of the "real" Baptists...(JK!) ;)

:D :D :D :D Score one for BW . . . that's hilarious!

7. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has moved into an interesting area: Why do people who believe in the same theology disagree on the subject matter?
    I believe that the conflicting views are an important part of our gaining an understanding of God the Creator. I am sure that we are all in agreement that no ONE of us is capable of understanding the mind of God. God, being infinite, requires an infinite number of interpretations. I am certainly an opinionated man but I do not claim to have all the answers available to me. I rely on the input of other Christians in my attempt to see the whole picture.
    Another way of looking at these divisions is to compare them to our nation. We have racial wars, political battles, and a democratic process that tramples the minority. However, look at how strongly we bonded together in the days after September 11. We have common goals for the nation, but different ways of accomplishing them.
    That's my two cents on the matter of our disagreements.

May God bless us

- Clint

8. I happen to agree with Tuor in his first post:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I, for one, don't see a problem with discussing the Biblical basis of certain beliefs. How are we to sharpen each other if we don't look at the basis of beliefs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would direct our attention to Galatians 5:9-10, "Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith."

Our Lord said, "...Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do..." (Luke 23:34). None of us is theologically "perfect". One of the most famous Baptist preachers, often called the Prince of Preachers, Charles H. Spurgeon, felt that he was doing good if he was sixty percent right!

What I am wondering is that if by narrowing restrictions on posting that we will only be preaching to the choir. Obviously if our doctrine is the only correct saving doctrine [tongue in cheek], then anything contrary would be heresy. Given this, aren't we called to "...preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15)? Not even to the exclusion of heretics? I think so.

I'm new here, a Reformed Baptist, generally considered opinionated, often called by the term "Calvinist." I feel we need "to be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason for the hope that is in you with meekness and fear"(1 Peter 3:15).

Christianity is historic and evidential. Twenty centuries and with "...so great a cloud of witnesses..." (Hebrews 12:1), we should not "...be ashamed of the gospel of Christ..." (Romans 1:16).

I pray all of you are blessed, hope I've hurt no feelings, and exhort you to "...continue to ernestly contend for the faith..." (Jude 3).

In His service,
    BillyBijou ;)