1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confederate Flag Flies Over Highway

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

EUREKA SPRINGS - In a gentle southern breeze, the Confederate battle flag that will be seen by hundreds of thousands of travelers each day was raised this morning.
    The Sons of Confederate Veterans unfurled the 50-by-30-foot flag next to the Interstate 75 bridge over U.S. 92 at 7 a.m. to commemorate the 200th birthday today of the Confederacy's only president, Jefferson Davis.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun/03/huge-rebel-flag-rises-eureka-springs-southern-bree/

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

This cant last long. I would imagine Sharpton and Jackson are on their way.

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know this is off-topic and will be seen as self-righteous, but as a member of the body of the Christ, I do have the responsibility to rebuke. The footnote to your posts is deeply misleading. Note the larger context in which your footnote appears:

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Please desist in the misrepresentation that your footnote entails.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get the impression that one day (Davis' birthday) is all it's meant to last.

I believe it will last at least that long. The reverberations are a different matter.:thumbs:

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

So I am told. I guess I can take it down now. Thank you for your heartfelt rebuke.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That flag is a symbol of hatred and oppression and should be only displayed in a museum. As far as I am concerned it is on par with the Nazi flag of the late 30's and 40's.

It is not something to be celebrated, it was a embarrassing (to say the least) time in the history of our country.

It is about hate and not about heritage, even if you don't think so. Please take them down, put them in museums, but let us not be a party to celebrating an awful time our country. Leave it to the extremists and nut cases who celebrate their hatred for other people

PS
    I was born and raised in Texas, my father was born in Kentucky and my son was born in Alabama so don't pull out the it's a Southern thing you wouldn't get it.

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I can see this flag on my way to work. It has been taken down due to some zoning ordinance. Now there will be many other flags that will have to come down also as a result. It will go back up a few feet shorter and a little further back from property line.

There are many around the world who consider the American flag a symbol of hate. Do you?

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a ridiculous question! The American flag, for all this nations shortcomings, is a symbol of freedom. I will be the first to admit we have not always lived up to that ideal, but for the most part when you see an American flag you see freedom. Those who hate America, hate because they are misinformed (intentionally or otherwise) or they wish to live as the controllers of oppression and separation based on gender, religious legalism or some other oppressive, human controlling idea.

The Confederate flag stood for the right to own human beings as property, big difference!

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Confederate flag are you talking about??

The one I'm familiar with represents a desire to live w/o federal gov't interference, IE: State's Rights!!!

The fact that some people have co-opted this piece of history for their own means does not fly with me, & I always think of an "almost nation" that was just trying to live as the constitution allowed before the federalists started decapitating parts of it.

To accuse this banner of representing a desire to keep slavery is nothing short of the same tactic that the queers have used to co-opt the word "GAY", or the baby killer the words "pro choice"!!!

As far as the slavery issue, in all likelyhood had the feds kept to their side of the M-D line, slavery would have died a natural death in a few years as machinery became more practical for farming than slaves.

Also, as a side note, had the carpetbaggers been restrained by the feds once the South had been defeated, there probably would never have been the serious race issue that is a cancer on our society today.

Bottom line is that if the liberals stopped trying to run everybody else's lives in virtually every way, everybody (except the liberals) would be getting along pretty darn good today with no more than token racism that will always exist.

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What a load of balogna!

You must have been educated in one of them communist public schools who teach this garbage as if it were true. The Stars and Bars stands as a constant reminder of the continued federal tyranny over state sovereignty. Period!

PS

I lived most of my life in New York and only recently became a "southerner" but even as a New Yorker I understood that the CW wasn't fought over slavery.:rolleyes:

This here "copperhead" has no problem at all with anyone flying the Stars and Bars. Keep em waving boys!

#10 poncho, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church I pastored in Burtonsville, Maryland, has a cemetery behind it. Some of the graves would usually have the stars and stripes and the confederate flag stuck on them.
    Piqued my curiosity.
    The brother who pastored before me was an avid reader and he had this whole library of books about the civil war, and of generals on both sides but mostly about General Lee and Stonewall Jackson.
    Piqued my curiosity some more.
    So I started reading on the civil war, and slavery.
    In the course of my readings I found books that mentioned of blacks fighting alongside Johnny Rebs, with freedom as incentive, and I goes, "what" ? I thought the reason them yanks were killing fellow whites is so them blacks can go free.
    Then I came across some books on Irish history and early New York history and the sweatshops and all that and I goes, "what ? ain't this some form of slavery and exploitation ?".
    Finally, putting two and two together, I came to the conclusion that the civil war was about big daddy wanting to whup them southern boys into line, and make them pay their taxes and homages to big daddy up North, and have them bow and kiss big daddy's behind and they ought to shout to the world it smells like roses !
    Heck, the blacks were just something to rouse the hypocrisy that's in everybody, then and now.
    So one day we took this trip to Gettysburg, and I bought me the finest Confederate Flag I can find in one of them shops, and hung it right over the bed in our bedroom.
    One day my son who was in the USAF came home on furlough, and saw the flag, and told me to take it down, because he had been taught that that flag was a symbol of racism and hate.
    I told him if I had been blessed to be born in the United States during those times, I would probably be fightin' right 'longside them rebs.
    End of story.

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Slavery wasn't the only issue in the civil war, but anyone who denies it didn't have a major role is deluding themselves. The situation had been stewing from bloody Kansas to the Missouri Compromise to the Compromise of 1850, to the Fugitive Slave Act, to the Dred Scott Decision. That evil institutionalized ownership of human beings was the fuel that drove the issue of state's rights. I recognize the place in American history held by the various flags & banners of the Confederacy, but I also understand how a black person would view it as equivalent to the swastika of the Third Reich. In addition, the use of the Confederate Battle Flag by groups like the KKK and Aryan supremacy groups adds to the use of that symbol in hate and fear. Certainly telling that neoNazi groups and southern US white supremacist groups tend to be the same folks.

#12 Magnetic Poles, Jun 6, 2008
  13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those that think the Civil War was a states rights issue are missing the point that it was a states rights issue because of slavery. You can delude yourselves if you wish and live in denial about the heart of the issue if you please, doesn't make you evil, just wrong. Completely and totally 100% wrong.

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

So, a flag becomes evil after an evil group has carried it?

By the same standard then shouldn't the Stars and Stripes be considered evil? I mean Lincoln and his Marxist union followers carried into every battle.

I love it when people use the noble lie theory to try and make the end justify the means. You're argument it seems is that Lincoln undermined the constitution in order to enforce it.

<snip>

Looks like they fooled y'all then and they've been fooling y'all ever since. So...who's been deluding themselves and living in denial now G2C?

[​IMG]

#14 poncho, Jun 6, 2008
  15. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your reasoning is asininely ridiculous!!

g2c, the KKK used the cross AND the Stars & Stripes - why don't you denounce the display of these two objects also?

16. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I say leave the Conferiate flag be. If it is banned what is going to be next; the flag we see in Church?
    Faithgirl

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, here is a little background on the authors of those quotes and some of the fellas they run around with
    http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?pid=843

Second, overwhelmingly the cross and the American flag have been symbols of freedom, spiritually with the cross and politically with the flag. It cannot be denied that there are those who have used both of these for unjust activities, but again they are in the minority. The Confederate flag is a symbol of a soundly DEFEATED rebellion with blatant racism at it's core. Huge difference!

Third, I don't want to ban anything. I would like for those flags to be in museums where they belong. I would love to to get to the point that every time one of them is unfurled people immediately understand that it is a symbol of hatred.

I don't have any flags in church.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those flags don't aren't just museum pieces. There are large numbers of families all over the United States, not just the South, who cherish the Confederate flag and its history and what it really stood for. They ought to be able to display those flags in their homes, or where the law will allow them displayed.
    Then you will have to annihilate those families I mentioned above, whoever they are, because they will pass on their family history to their young ones just as blacks pass on their family history to their young ones and don't make them forget how they were "maltreated".

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They can display them all they want, within legal means of course. I just would love to get to the point where most people recognize it for what it represents, racism. I'm not sure where annihilating people came into the conversation, I don't want to annihilate anyone. Not sure where you are going with that one.

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Alright, when are you stupid bunch of rednecks going to learn? As long as you continue to display that defeated Confederate Battle Flag the Federal Troops are never going to leave Atlanta. They have been there ever sense General Sherman rode into town.

Quite frankly I am tired of the Union occupation myself but if General Lee can turn in his sword and ride home I think we can too. It is over. Now put those flags away and stop whistling Dixie. Then as soon as the Federals are out of Atlanta lets go get em boys. Yeehaw! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.