1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confessing sins to each other?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 23, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What does this mean?

Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Does this mean I have to go to a christian every time I sin?
    I thought confessing it to God is enough!? Does this mean that this verse here supports the catholic church style of confession? :eek:

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

It doesn't support confession as a sacrament, with the ritualized penances that the Catholic church uses, but it does embody great spiritual wisdom -- that brothers and sisters in Christ can help us make sure our consciences are fully expressed. If I simply pray for forgiveness, without a human to hear me and reflect with me, I will likely sugarcoat what I say to God, just as I sugarcoat it for myself. There is nothing quite like a spiritual friend who will love us despite ourselves and who will help us tell the truth about ourselves.

After all, the Christian faith is all about incarnation, isn't it?

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The confession does not invlove confessing sins. The Bible is very clear that there is one Mediator between God and man. This passage is talking about confessing our "faults" or weaknesses to one another. It is the principle of accountability. If I have a problem with anger, lust, bitterness, slothfulness, or any other "fault," it would greatly benefit me to "confess" this fault to a stronger fellow Christian who can hold me accountable and help me do right.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My thoughts EXACTLY. :)

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What Pastor Bob said :thumbs:

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Confession of our sins against one another - is done person-to-person.
    Confession of our weaknesses and asking for prayer is another form of benefit/ministry given to through the body of Christ the Church.

But the only way we get forgiveness of sins is to go to God through Christ and confess our sins.

In Christ,

Bob