1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, May 20, 2022.

1. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Calvin on that. The term "Calvinism" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Most calvinists today are infralapsarians and they believe that God decreed to send Christ and save His people because of the fall. In the infralapsarian scheme God chooses to save individuals out of the mass of fallen humanity and then passes over the rest of humanity in reprobation. Infralapsarians usually claim to be against equal ultimacy, but it is my opinion that they cannot logically escape the conclusion that “passing over” is the same as “not electing” which is really election to the negative. It is my opinion that infralapsarianism is really a scheme of selection and not the biblical doctrine of election."

Is it possible that what he describes as "infralapsarian" view on passing over those He doesn't elect is a "nice" way of saying He elects to send others to hell?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, a process of discovery and assurance. One a question & the other an answer. Very good.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But then what of mercy?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Tom a man of great humility

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what of deliverance

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we have one of the false doctrines of Calvinists, including those claiming to be Hypers. 1 Peter 2:9-10 says those saved were once "not a people" chosen by God for His possession. If they had been chosen individually before creation, they would have always been a people. Thus the errant view of Ephesians 1:4, as indicating individual election, rather than the correct corporate election, is precluded by scripture.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another belief of the self proclaimed Hyper is that God decreed (predestined) whatsoever comes to pass, and did not simply allow sin to occur. Thus they have no problem with God causing our each and every sin.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A third bogus view of the Hyper is that Christ did not die as a ransom for all, but only for those individuals supposedly chosen before creation. Thus, main-stream Calvinism and this hyper's view's overlap.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A fourth bogus view is the denial of progressive sanctification. Here the Hyper chose to accept one meaning of sanctification - to be set apart for God's purpose - but to deny the other - to be made Holy as per progressive sanctification.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A fifth bogus view is that the elect never had condemnation, thus were never children of wrath. Ephesians 2:3

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last bogus view of the Hyper, is that salvation occurred for the elect either when Christ said "it is finished" or when chosen before creation and never condemned. Actually according to scripture, Salvation occurs when God alone places into (gives to) Christ an individual He has chosen for salvation.

13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The Puritans had it right. We must persevere in the faith if we are ever to reach heaven Colossians 1:21-23); and by God's grace, we will do so. But many people are beguiled by the misleading OSAS teaching that is about in these days and make shipwreck of their faith. (1 Timothy 1:19).

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “T.U.L.I.P.P.”?

I believe most of us are familiar with the acrostic “TULIP.” These letters stand for what we call the “doctrine of sovereign grace.” These are biblical teachings that help us understand the truth of God’s Word and the Gospel of His grace in Christ. The acrostic is as follows:

T – Total depravity of man which describes the spiritually dead and depraved state of all who fell in Adam (Rom. 5:12). It tells us how that by nature man has no spiritual capacity or ability and no desire to receive and believe the Gospel of God’s glory in Christ (1 Cor. 2:14).

U – Unconditional election which shows how God, before He created the world, chose a people to save in and by the Lord Jesus Christ with no consideration for their persons or works. It was totally of God’s will and grace (Rom. 9:13-16; 11:5-6; Eph. 1:3-7).

L – Limited atonement which describes the effectual and particular nature of the death of Christ which was meant for God’s elect alone and which secures their complete salvation with all of its blessings and benefits. He died for His sheep, and they all shall be saved (John 10:11-17).

I – Irresistible grace which is the sovereign power and invincible work of the Holy Spirit in the new birth to give spiritual life, faith, and repentance to God’s elect (all whom God chose and whom Christ redeemed) and keep them looking to Christ until final glory (Php. 1:6; 1 John 3:9).

But you may have noticed that in the title of this article I spelled the acrostic with two “P’s” instead of one. Do I not know how to spell? Yes, but I believe that this “tulip” should be spelled with two “P’s” instead of one. Why? It is because the “P” normally stands for “Perseverance of the saved” describing how God’s chosen people, having been justified and redeemed by the blood of Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit, will continue in the faith and cannot ever be lost again. But it needs to be clear that the reason the saints of God will persevere without fail is because of PRESERVATION by God’s grace and power. Those who are saved by God’s grace in Christ are secure in salvation because God will not let them go. He will preserve them unto the end and bring them into glory (John 10:27-30). It is all of God’s power, goodness, and grace!

—Pastor Bill Parker, Eager Avenue Grace Church, Albany, Georgia( in church's bulletin for May 8, 2022 (b5z.net) )

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see 1 Timothy 1:19 has been mentioned. Lets consider it!
    To do this you must hold firmly to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck in regard to the faith. (NET)​

Some mistakenly think if we do not hold firmly to "faith" and a good conscience, we will suffer shipwreck of our faith. Thus many translation render the last phrase "to their faith" rather than "to the faith."

What does it mean to suffer shipwreck in regard to something? Obviously if shipwrecked, no longer able to function, thus no longer effective in the ministry of Christ, i.e. the faith.

Loss of salvation is not in view, but loss of reward for effective service to Christ is in view. Thus those whose "faith" God protects still enter heaven, but bringing little or no reward with them, as one escaping from a fire.

#55 Van, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice that exhaustive determinism has been proclaimed, where everything is predetermined, and not one so called "main-stream" Calvinists has posted a denial. So in their view, God predetermined that we would do our each and every sin, but still stores up wrath for what He compelled the lost to do. Sound like the just God of scripture? Nope

17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am troubled by this, not because I do not believe in the perseverance of the saints (I do), but because by talking of the 'preservation' of the saints, you are teaching people that they do not need to persevere because God will automatically preserve them. This is a deadly deception by Satan and it leads thousands of people to suppose that because they have made a confession of faith at some point they are therefore safe for eternity. This is not so! The Scriptures are replete with accounts of people who have 'accepted' Christ at some point and yet fallen away. You can look at Matthew 7:21ff or Matthew 13 and the parable of the sower, or the people given over to Satan by Paul in 1 Timothy, or the people described in Hebrews 6:4-6.

The Lord Jesus tells us in Luke 13 to 'make every effort to enter through the narrow gate.' Do you advise people to do that?

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @KenH,
    May I suggest reading The Nature and Causes of Apostasy from the Gospel by John Owen? It is available in abridged form as a 'Puritan Paperback' from Banner of Truth.
    You will hardly deny Owen's Calvinist credentials, but he was deeply concerned at the false teaching which teaches that someone who makes a profession of faith is automatically protected from falling away.

In Pilgrim's Progress, Chrsitian meets two men, Formalist and Hypocrite, who, rather than coming into the kingdom of heaven through the wicket gate of repentance and faith, have tumbled over the wall. Having done so, these men give every appearance of being firmly on the way to the Celestial City,, and Christian cannot persuade them otherwise; but they never make it past the Hill of Difficulty. If you have ever been in church leadership you will know the truth of this illustration.

19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or you can save time and read it online... Brother Glen:)

https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/owen/Apostasy from the Gospel - John Owen.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, the doctrine of 'preservation' sends folks to hell.

That doesn't surprise me coming from you.

23 And the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved entire, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who will also do it. 1 Thess 5

#60 kyredneck, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022