1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, May 20, 2022.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

We are all born as sinners, and are estranged form God, not justified until saved by Him and born again and indwelt and sealed by the Holy Spirit, and ifone is a baptist, its saved by grace alone received thru faith alone!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To avoid any confusion, I absolutely hold to Justification by Faith Alone.

3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 12:33. "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is know by its fruit.'
    If the tree is good, it will produce good fruit. If a tree produces nothing but bad fruit, why would anyone suppose that it is a good tree (cf. also Matthew 7:15-16; Isaiah 5:1-7)?

All morality arising from the old nature even if prayer is made to Christ for help and it is claimed that it is being done to the glory of God - is never acceptable to God. Unless a person is regenerate and his nature renewed into the image and likeness of God; unless he is endued with spiritual life from above enabling him to live to God, he can do nothing that is acceptable to God. Any morality that does not arise from this principle of grace in the renewed soul is not gospel holiness' (John Owen).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong:

24 Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith. Ja 2

Paul states it thus:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2

Primitive Baptists:

We believe that good works, obedience to the commands of God, are well pleasing in His sight and should be maintained; but, they are to be considered as evidence of a gracious state and not a condition of eternal salvation. (Ephesians 2:10; Hebrews 13:16; James 2:17-18; Galatians 5:22-23)"
    Belief – Lexington Primitive Baptist Church (lexpbc.org)

Apostle John:

20 for every one who is doing wicked things hateth the light, and doth not come unto the light, that his works may not be detected;
    21 but he who is doing the truth doth come to the light, that his works may be manifested, that in God they are having been wrought.` Jn 3

#84 kyredneck, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm on holiday in Italy at the moment. Yesterday we passed through Trento, where the Council of Trent met. The R.C.s would be in full agreement with you.
    I have answered you on this point before. I'm not going to waste my time doing so again.

6. JesusFan

You now hold to Catholic and not Pauline Justification?

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's deceitful of you to imply that it's me and not the scripture I've espoused.

In your mind maybe, but in no way have you refuted the scriptures that plainly reveal the Calvinist error of 'justification by faith alone'.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. If the cap fits, you wear it. Roman Catholics misuse the very same Scriptures that you do to excuse the very same error.
    Justification by faith alone is not a uniquely Calvinist teaching; it is a uniquely Christian teaching.. If you want to start a new thread on the subject, go right ahead

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’d say that he holds to the teachings of James (the brother of Jesus)

11. JesusFan

Which would then be How Rome sees justification, and they misunderstand what James was teaching!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously, why even bring up Roman Catholic teaching… they are an absurd religion.

13. JesusFan

True, but some non catholics seem to be following their justification view here!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the one guy you’re referring to is very Baptist and the church he is affiliated with (as am I) will give creditability to the teachings of James regarding works.
    so let me ask you, Luther wanted to omit James from the Bible altogether because of his stance on works … do you agree with Martin Luther?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a effort to explain:

Justification by Blood – Rom. 8:29-30, 3:22-26; Isa. 61:10-11; Gen 3:21; Rom 5:18-19

Justification by Faith – Rom 5:1-2, 4:2-7; Gal. 2:16, 3:23-29

Justification by Works – Jam. 2:17-24; Rom. 2:13; Tit. 3:5-7

I’m done here.

16. JesusFan

I would state that Pauline Justification would be saved by grace alone received thru faith alone!

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ye see then how that by works a man is justified,.... Not as causes procuring his justification, but as effects declaring it; for the best works are imperfect, and cannot be a righteousness justifying in the sight of God, and are unprofitable in this respect; for when they are performed in the best manner, they are no other than what it is a man's duty to perform, and therefore cannot justify from sin he has committed: and besides, justification in this sense would frustrate the grace of God, make void the death of Christ, and encourage boasting in men. Good works do not go before justification as causes or conditions, but follow it as fruits and effects:

and not by faith only.: or as without works, or a mere historical faith, which being without works is dead, of which the apostle is speaking; and therefore can bear no testimony to a man's justification; hence it appears, that the Apostle James does not contradict the Apostle Paul in Rom 3:28 since they speak not of the same sort of faith; the one speaks of a mere profession of faith, a dead and lifeless one; the other of a true faith, which has Christ, and his righteousness, for its object, and works by love, and produces peace, joy, and comfort in the soul. Moreover, the Apostle Paul speaks of justification before God; and James speaks of it as it is known by its fruits unto men; the one speaks of a justification of their persons, in the sight of God; the other of the justification and approbation of their cause, their conduct, and their faith before men, and the vindication of them from all charges and calumnies of hypocrisy, and the like; the one speaks of good works as causes, which he denies to have any place as such in justification; and the other speaks of them as effects flowing from faith, and showing the truth of it, and so of justification by it; the one had to do with legalists and self-justiciaries, who sought righteousness not by faith, but by the works of the law, whom he opposed; and the other had to do with libertines, who cried up faith and knowledge, but had no regard to a religious life and conversation; and these things considered will tend to reconcile the two apostles about this business."

- John Gill on James 2:24, Gill's Bible Commentary

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past, hyper-Calvinists have done exactly this. In 1878, a group of Baptists associated with the Gospel Standard, the magazine edited by J.C. Philpott for many years, came together to form an association that became known as the Gospel Standard Strict Baptists. Article 33 of their articles of Faith reads:
    'Therefore, that for ministers in the present day to address unconverted persons, or all indiscriminately in a mixed congregation, calling upon them to savingly repent, believe and receive Christ, or perform any other acts dependent on the new creative power of the Holy Ghost, is on the one hand to imply creature power, and, on the other to deny the doctrine of special redemption.'

Tragically, at the very time that the British Baptist Union was drifting towards Arminianism and the dowgrade that Spurgeon would later address, churches with a real commitment to the sovereignty of God in salvation were being dragged into a Hyper-Calvinist cul de sac. The Gospel Standard churches still exist today but are a tiny rump of what they were and likely to disappear within the next few years. Hyper-Calvinism is a disastrous doctrine and I would strongly advise you to look to a man like Alistair Begg rather than Brandon Kraft

N.B. In fairness to Philpot, he had died a few years before these doctrines were drawn up. Whether he would have approved of them I cannot say, but it was his writings that inspired them.

19. JesusFan

Liked Spurgeon take on this issue, as he stated that if God had painted on backs of his elect yellow stripes, would preach just to them, but since did not, he preached to all!

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brandan Kraft wrote in the article that I linked to(did you read the whole article?): "The Gospel message is a proclamation that is spoken to men indiscriminately."

I appreciate your concern, but I have previously listened to Alistair, off and on, in years past. I am quite satisfied spiritually with reading and listening to my pastor, Richard Warmack, Pastor Bill Parker, et al, and reading the old divines, such as J.C. Philpot, Robert Hawker, William Mason, et al, and some current writers, such as Brandan Kraft, et al. I am quite happy grazing in the pasture I am in, I have no interest in grazing elsewhere, unless God so leads me to do so by His sovereign will.