1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

confession profession

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by massdak, May 29, 2004.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

is an audible verbal confession or profession of faith necessary for salvation?

i have heard some say that a person must make a public profession of faith in order to be saved.
    i have also heard that a prayer that is made for salvation must be with the mouth to an audible level.

any thoughts ???

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 10:9-10 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Seems like a clear distinction in roles of internal (heart) and external (mouth) aspects of salvation.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The answer is absolutely not. The passage in Roams 10 has been taken totally out of context and confused many. If a literal verbal confession was necessary then no person who is a mute could be saved. The passage says with the mouth confession unto salvation and it offers no other way for salvation if you hold a strict interpretation of the verse. However the passage is not a formula for salvation, but is dealing with what was going on under Roman authority. The Caesars were considered gods and they called them my Lord. The idea was to get the people to confess Jesus as Lord, not the Caesars'. The passage is saying confess JESUS as Lord. So again the answer is no. We get saved by repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, not confession.

4. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

The answer is absolutely not. The passage in Roams 10 has been taken totally out of context and confused many. If a literal verbal confession was necessary then no person who is a mute could be saved. The passage says with the mouth confession unto salvation and it offers no other way for salvation if you hold a strict interpretation of the verse. However the passage is not a formula for salvation, but is dealing with what was going on under Roman authority. The Caesars were considered gods and they called them my Lord. The idea was to get the people to confess Jesus as Lord, not the Caesars'. The passage is saying confess JESUS as Lord. So again the answer is no. We get saved by repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, not confession. </font>[/QUOTE]interesting, i do see how some are making that verse a sacrament, if it is done that way it would exclude grace.