1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confessional Stability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taken from Brother MM's link...

"This is because they are unhinged from any commitment to a historic confession of faith, and therefore can free float their message and theology to adapt to the public consensus of the moment. This has been disastrous."

Boy ain't this the truth!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Throws a blanket over everything "Evangelical" and generalizes "they, them..."

And quite frankly, I shake my head at Protestants who throw around "historic" as if that's credible weight.

Not long ago, Protestantism was a novelty in the minds of "historic" Christians.

If you want historic, try a brand that wasn't hindered by 1,200 years of Roman Catholicism

4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the OP was proven correct already.

• Like Like x 1
  5. walkinspirit

walkinspirit Member

For me confessional Christianity is contained on the Word of God and every confession of faith that is grounded on the truth of God and his written Word will have my Amen from my heart.

I agree with the sentiments of the writer about the necessity of a confessional faith but that confession more than ever should be written by the Holy Spirit on the tablets of our hearts and illustrated with our life.

Evangelical Christianity is wider than the reformed or Calvinist Christianity. While most of what is so called evangelical christianity today is not part of classic historical Christianity of the true Church of God but part of that worldly dead so called church that is christian only in name. I would say that within evangelical Protestantism the two major branches in the theological sense Calvinism and Arminianism need return to their historical roots and reform their doctrine and revive their zeal for the glory of God.

I don't see the Church of Christ as the one that should turn to classical reformed theology of calvinism (there are other christian tribes in the midts of that holy and chosen people of God that are not confined to this theology) as the only expression of truth, some brothers believe that from their heart, God bless them.

And I don't see either the future of true and genuine apostolic Christianity as confined within the structure or system of Calvinism or Arminianism. Let me give just an example, it is my believe that during the Great Tribulation period and in the midts of great persecutions we will see one of the greatest genuine revival and reformation in church history. Christ will be exalted in such a way that the saints of the end times will be living martyrs for Jesus. The Word of God will be their creed and their will be a holiness movement in the midts of God's people that will produce by the Spirit such a Christ - likeness that the world will recognize Christians by their life and not just by a confession in word that Jesus is Lord.

I believe also that before the greatest revival and reformation in Church history during the great tribulation, there will happen first the great apostasy and falling away to such a great extent that we have not witnessed yet, as it has been prophesied in Scripture.

And I'm not thinking about this last great revival in terms of latter rain theology of pentecostalism. This last great awakening and genuine revival will be like the one experienced during the apostolic time of the early Church. It will be a revival of the old rugged cross, of the narrow path, of that genuine holiness without which no man will see the Lord, it will be a revival of the Truth and of power from on high, of the manifestations of the fruit of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit. A rivival a true discelpleship and of umcompromised surrender to Jesus as Lord of their life.

This is what I believe is the call of God for us to be confirmed to the image of his Son and its my conviction that the last great revival in Church history will see the greatest living images of Jesus Christ here on earth in the midts of unprecedented great persecution the faithful remnant will triumph and overcome by the word of their testimony and by the power of the precious blood of the Lamb of God. Jesus is worthy for the reward of his sufferings.

Blessings,

P.S - Just a reminder that the Baptists and Methodists were two of the greatest denominations during the second great awaking in America and that movement was more characterized with emphases on Arminian theology, while the first great awaking in America was more characterized with emphases on the Calvinistic theology. God is not bound by our theological systems, we can't put him in a theological box, its only the Word of God that can express in full his truth, I mean the Living Word of God, Jesus Christ who is the radiance of the glory of God and the perfect Image of God the Father.

#5 walkinspirit, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016