1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Confessional vs Non-Confessional Seminaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 29, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At 10:40 this speaker say "#6 Go to a confessional seminary!"

He says students that attend a confessional seminary get a better education and have a "fire in their eyes".

2. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice quick video about the Baptist confessions

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you familiar with any of the various Confessions?

• Like Like x 1
  4. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Westminster. I want to study the Baptist one. I have it in the Olive Tree app.

I have learned a lot, and learned it fast. Every day, one resource leads me to another, and then to another. I was like this with the law schools stuff, and then the cybersecurity stuff, and other things before that. I can learn a lot really fast, and then hit formal schooling with a context that allows me to participate in the formal schooling at an unexpected level for a beginner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I first said I wanted a "baptist" education, I did not know the vocabulary to explain that I wanted a "confessional Baptist" education, and I probably still don't know the full correct vocabulary. But I am narrowing in on all this. As I read things, I know now that some words are far more loaded than I previously knew. "Devotional" and "emotional" are loaded and stereotyped.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I confess I like the non-conventional ones. :Biggrin

• Like Like x 2
  7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I am drawn towards confessional that is entirely transparent about the confession to which they adhere. What I do not like is "non-denominational" with a hidden agenda.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the 1689 Confession on app also, and did download the 1644 Bapist one also

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might want to check out 1689 Federalist web site, as they are coming from a reformed and Baptist viewpoint!

• Like Like x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Reformed Baptist reject dispensationalism? Is that the key difference?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    great Question!
    My current understanding would be that there are:
    Calvinist Baptists who accepted reformed salvation, but tend to keep Disopy eschatology views

reformed baptists, who are Calvinists and accept Confessions and Covenant Theology, mainly Amil, some pre/post mils
    group 1 would be Dr MacArthur types, group 2 like Spurgeon

• Like Like x 1
  12. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I see

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think?

14. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where I still have things to learn, and am open.

I do not reject dispensationalism, but how far I go with it is something that I am still working out.

I do not believe in a works based salvation. My first research paper for WVBS is on this topic. I feel like it is too early to be expected to write a thesis on this topic and am not happy about being forced to write about it now. I am doing my best to find a way to create some wiggle room around what I do believe: chiefly that the saved Christian will want to do good, so too much attention to this point is vain.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That highlights another real difference btween dispy and Covenant , as Dispy usually refer to "free grace", saved by faith alone, no works required, while others state as Lordship salvation, as in good works required to show was really saved!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to decide the basics of what you believe. Then go to a seminary which teaches it.
    If you have decided that you want a 'confessional' Baptist education, you have, IMO, decided well. Read the 1689 Confession; it is not Dispensational. There is only one people of God (Ephesians 2:11ff.).
    As has been suggested, head for the 1689 Federalism website and, on the assumption that you are American, be advised from there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does everyone agree that the 1689 leaves no room for dispensation? I am not sure where I am on the dispensation spectrum, but I am not anti-dispensationalism. Also I am not fully reformed/Westminster, and I am not not NOT works-required. I will not attend a school that is anti-dispensationalism and works-required. I'll play around with a single online course by a school that is those two things, and just keep my beliefs to myself for the opportunity to take the specific course, but I won't place myself under the leadership of a school that systematically and specifically teaches either of those things.

American is one of my citizenships. Why would that make a difference?

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To take the last question first: I am British. I could advise you on British seminaries, but not on American. Therefore you might look to see what seminaries or schools are recommended on the 1689 Federalism site.
    For the rest, you need perhaps to define your terms. Do you believe that it is possible that one can believe that Dispensationalism is incorrect without being 'anti-Dispensational'? How do you define 'works-required'? The Lord Jesus says, "If you love Me, keep My commandments." Is that requiring works?

• Like Like x 1
  19. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, okay, you meant the comment about Americans reading the 1689 Federalism site, for when Americans are looking for potential leads to schools. I thought you meant something wider. Thanks!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great question! as one can be a Calvinist baptist and hold to Dispy eschatology, but reformed Baptist would hold to either A mil or historical premil!

• Like Like x 1