1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confessions of an Ex-Tither

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BroChris, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

Then there is an issue that no one has brought up.
    When you left your last church, are you still officially members?
    If so, many would say that you should give to your old church till your membership transfers to a different church.

Karen

2. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would still like to know where all of these church membership traditions are found in Scripture. Where in Scripture are believers supposed to be "legal" members of a particular assembly and are required to do certain things with that assembly and not with others based on some kind of "contract"?

A lot of our extra-Biblical ideas about tithing, church membership, and other such things seem to come from the way the federal and state governments are structured rather than from that which is in the Bible.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I suspect that the Corith church had their members as Paul referred to them and so did the others. I think that is why we follow that tradition.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I wouldn't call church membership a contract, but I would call it a covenant relationship. And a covenant does represent a committment freely and voluntarily made by which we obligate ourselves to the terms of the covenant.

5. BroChris

BroChris Member

That's kind of what I was trying to get at with my original post. I kind of think that the local church should get it all, but I don't really see where Scripture demands it. I'll monitor the new thread to see how the discussion goes.

Thanks for all of your responses. We'll continue to pray about it, and hopefully get rid of some money very soon!

6. vermae

vermae New Member

just put it in the plate.God knows who gave it.Who are you trying to please ?God or man.Better still if it's a baptist church they are always needing money for something .you can drop it in the plate in and unmarked envelope.

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

our church has a deacons fund for families in need. when we give extra that is where we give or faith promise. if we personally know someone has a special need we put their name on the check. we see no problem with giving to any christian organazation outside the church either. the church is made up of believers not buildings.

I am wondering why all the saving for long, why not give to any good christian organization (there are so many) every month if you knew you would not be giving to a church?

and do you feel if you didn't give your tithe every month God would curse you? he wants our hearts more than our money. tithe, time, service, worship, talents and gifts should all go together as one. if you are not doing all the others (which would be hard to do while church shoping) why do you feel the need to tithe only?

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I believe your tithe should go to the storehouse (the local church that feeds you spiritually) and your offerings to whomever you choose.

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Bro.Chris...the best answer I can give you is that since we are NOT under the Law and there is no such thing(scripturally speaking)as a "tithe" for a New Testament born again believer under grace,you should pray about it and GIVE that money discreetly and without fanfare to whatever church,worthy(bible-believing)organization or needy individual(s)that the Lord leads you to support or help.One thing you could check on is the needs of your local Rescue Mission if there is one near you....and yes...by all means DO support the local church where you and your family attend and receive spiritual food and refreshment.God Bless You brother...keep on giving....and be as generous as you are able.

Greg Sr.