1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

confused about Calvin (Page 21) Round two

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by johnp., Feb 3, 2006.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You evaded again. Why do they choose as they do?

You can't answer. That inability reveals a fatal flaw in your belief and proves it beyond question to be unbiblical.

I believe you know the right answer but admitting it will require you to acknowledge that you are wrong... something you aren't "willing" to do.

2. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Scott J:

Thank you for clarifying the issue with "Me4Him"'s posts. You're right, he evades with numerous questions and oddly placed quotation marks. You never quite get an answer from his posts...

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thing is... when people willing to see the truth see someone evading and using dishonest tactics... it steers them to the other side.

ME is inadvertently providing a very good basis for someone seeking the truth of this matter to reject his position. That is possibly the one redeeming thing in my interactions with him so far... and possibly the only thing that makes enduring his questioning of my spirituality if not salvation worthwhile.

4. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Evidently, you can't read either, I said:

THEY..CHOSE..TO..BELIEVE..BY..FAITH.

Many are called, but you can't explain "WHY" they are not all "CHOSEN".

Is God's calling at fault or their choice???

5. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Thing is... when people willing to see the truth see someone evading and using dishonest tactics... it steers them to the other side.

ME is inadvertently providing a very good basis for someone seeking the truth of this matter to reject his position. That is possibly the one redeeming thing in my interactions with him so far... and possibly the only thing that makes enduring his questioning of my spirituality if not salvation worthwhile.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The problem is you're like most people, you "pick and chose" whatever suits you and and refuse to believe anything that contradict it, exactly what the Jews did in rejecting Jesus.

You say we don't have the "FREE WILL" to chose to believe "whatever", yet at the same time, do the very thing you say we don't have a choice in the matter.

And you accuse "ME" of being "mixed up"????

I think you need to take a "reality check", look around you, Jesus died for the sins of the whole world that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved, but they are not, WHY???

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Jesus died for the sheep so they would be saved. :cool:

john.

7. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

The carnal mind can't comprehend the scripture, maybe that why my answers can't be "SEEN".

8. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

john.
    </font>[/QUOTE]God/Jesus wanted the "Whole world" in the "Flock", so how come they are not???

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidently, you can't read either, I said:

THEY..CHOSE..TO..BELIEVE..BY..FAITH.</font>[/QUOTE] Apparently you have a comprehension problem so I will rephrase.

Why did they choose to believe by faith? Faith is a result. "Choice" is a means. What is the cause?

I can and have many times. God chooses the elect according to His good pleasure. He allows the others to follow their own will into destruction. He does not disallow the lost from choosing but He does ultimately cause believers to choose to believe.

Their choice as I have told you before.

Their choice is at fault... but that does not mean that the "choice" of believers should receive credit because we are saved. His choice gets that credit. It must else we have something "whereof to glory".

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

john.
    </font>[/QUOTE]God/Jesus wanted the "Whole world" in the "Flock", so how come they are not???
    </font>[/QUOTE]You need to answer some questions including this one.

If it is God's perfect will that the "whole world" as in every individual would be saved then why are they not? Does man have the ability to thwart the perfect will of God?

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Me4Him.

Your contention is false and supported with ambiguous words. My faith has no such ambiguity. Matt 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

I thought you of all people could not have a problem with "WILL". HaHa! cool:

And what have you done about this? Have you prayed that God would lift the veil for us as we have for you or would that be an interference with my will?

john.

12. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

john.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You need to answer some questions including this one.

If it is God's perfect will that the "whole world" as in every individual would be saved then why are they not? Does man have the ability to thwart the perfect will of God?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Is the whole world saved??

If not, then "God's will" in this area of salvation can't be "Sovereign".

God offers, but Man has the "FREE WILL" to accept or reject.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually that is completely untrue. It was my willingness to accept all of what scripture says first then form my opinion around it that caused me to change from a position similar to yours that I had been taught to the one I now hold.

If shown by you or anyone else a view that comes to a different conclusion while not creating contradictions within scripture then I am willing to listen. The fact that you haven't been willing to answer honest, direct questions has sufficiently demonstrated that you don't hold such a view.

Huh? Carnal man's will is not free in respect of his slavery to sin. But he does act on free will within the scope of his nature. Free will never enables someone to act outside of their nature. Cats don't fly... it isn't their nature. Cattle don't chase down prey... it isn't their nature. The natural man doesn't receive the things of the Spirit (ie faith, repentance) because it isn't their nature.

You can only "know" when you have been given the Spirit, ie regenerated.

Because God didn't intervene while they were headed willfully for a condemnation that they rightly deserved and had chosen by their own rebellion.

Your turn.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no my friend... that is where you are so biblically off base.

If not, it means that you have misinterpretted those scriptures.

God is sovereign in everything or else He is not God.

God does make the offer. He does make an appeal to man both through the gospel and nature... and it is by this coupled with man's sin that the lost are rightly condemned.

But the natural man will reject this appeal because it is his nature to do so... it is there that God's will according to grace comes in and saves. God quickens the dead spirit... he frees us from the bondage and blindness of sin. The result is that we freely believe and repent.
    Yes... but that isn't the question. The question is why will some believe while others do not.

I say it is because of God's grace... to be consistent, you must say that it is because of some goodness within the man apart from something God gave him.

15. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Why pray, if God's sovereignty is in effect for "Everything", how's my opinion going to change YOUR future, or anyone elses, for that matter??

I teach as I'm taught, those who have ears to hear will know by the spirit it's not my words, those who don't have ears, won't hear/understand.

Joh 12:50 whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

Joh 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

People condemn the words of the spirit, without ever realizing just "WHO'S" words it is they condemn, Jews aren't the only ones to make that mistake.

16. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Me4Him.

I pray for others because my teachers prayed for others and I am not an hyper-Calvinist, that is what you have described. I told you before that God works through cause and effect and if you don't pray it is because God is not using you in the furthering of His Kingdom. :cool: Like He has laid the hyper-Calvinists aside for His own ends for a time and uses others.
    If I do not pray I am not partaking in an important part of the round up and I miss out on the unsurpassing priveledge of furthering His plans as He wills me to miss out for my benefit.

Is that an answer? Now answer the question I asked, do you pray for us or would that be an interference with our will? Thank you. :cool:

Who taught you? Then can you lend me your ears if God has not opened mine? Where does one get such things, ears that hear of great danger and eyes that see and understand the Kingdom of God? Where? You were born a natural man where did the spiritual come from?

john.

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Me4Him.

this verse 1 Cor 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

If you understood this verse... It is not about an unspiritual understanding is it? It says he cannot understand. Why do you read things into the text? Do you not understand this, 'But to this day the LORD has not given you a mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear.'? Dt 29:4. God needs to give understanding, the scripture boldly declares the Israelites were denied the necessary means to obey Him and all but two died in the wilderness. If He does not give you the necessary means to obey Him you burn. Can't be said any blunter I suppose, it is fact. "He is the LORD; let him do what is good in his eyes." Amen.

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God... The natural man as you say does not...
    Does not what? Does not accept the things that come from the Spirit. Repent and believe comes from the Spirit of God doesn't it? Bang goes repent and believe then because the natural man accepts nothing from God. Right? Regeneration comes first as we say. :cool: God's word proceeds from His mouth and accomplishes the purpose it was sent for.

Is that right, the mind of a natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God?
    If that is so, and scripture says it is, then a natural man does not accept anything from God. That ties in nicely with the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Rom 8:7. Doesn't it? 'the mind of a natural man does not' because he cannot 'submit to God's law'. Natural man cannot see the Kingdom of God nor does he wish to do so. the sinful mind is hostile to God.

...for they are foolishness to him... To whom? To the natural man. God's words are what? foolishness? God is Stupid this I know cause all men have said it's so. HaHa! :cool:

How am I doing? :cool: How can one have faith if one has no faith? the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Rom 8:7. Since the sinful mind is hostile to God and since He gives understanding how can one please God without faith? Who cares? Not the sinful man because he is hostile, at emnity, with God so why should he want to please God? He cannot. He will not because he cannot and wills not because he hates God. Who put him in this condition? God did because God bound all men over to sin, Rom 11:32. Didn't He? :cool:

God is Sovereign.

1 Cor 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

And if the things of God are spiritually discerned then man must have the Holy Spirit to receive the things of God otherwise the things He says are foolish to him aren't they?

The man without the Spirit... But we see all men without the Spirit do we not? Except of course those saved from the womb. So how does a man without the Spirit discern the things of the Spirit without the Spirit? Without the Spirit God is irrelevant at best.

john.

18. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Asking God to give someone an opportunity, or maybe another opportunity to be saved,is not interfering with their will,

God doesn't "interfer" with their will either, he only ask them, the "Will" to believe or not believe, confess they have sinned, and need to be saved, is a choice the person makes, not God.

FAITH come by hearing/believing, and not with the ears, but the "heart", but some people harden their hearts, close their ears/eyes to the Gospel.

Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing,

Lu 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Calvin blames God for not issuing as much an "irresistable call" to the unsaved as to the saved, predestine them to hell, but the above parable says the "SEED" is not at fault for not growing, but the person,

Many are called, the seed is sowed "everywhere", so who's fault is it the seed doesn't grow, and only a "FEW" are "CHOSEN", Man's or God's.

Mt 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

The world is full of people who have "Chose" to believe faults doctrines, even in the churches, why do you think you're any different, why can't you be one of them and how are you going to know???

Catholic's believe they can "remit" sin to get someone out of "purgatory", but scripture says only "DEATH" can pay the wages of sin, I'm sure the Catholic are as "dogmatic" in their doctrine as you are about calvin's, but being dogmatic doesn't equal "TRUTH" or guarantee you're always right.

Being "dead set" (dogmatic) in your beliefs is the best way I know of to prevent the spirit from teaching.

And it's the reason why there are "faults doctrine", the spirit would correct them "IF" they had ears/heart to hear.

When you think Satan can't fool you, he's already got you fooled.

19. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Me4Him.

You do not know that. :cool:

To my knowledge Calvin blames God for nothing but lifts Christ up. As to the call it is made to many not for the reprobate or to give him a chance but to crush them more fiercly in His righteous wrath. No one is being offered anything but commanded to believe in the Son of God, to trust Him with all our heart. It is a command. He does not offer anything to the reprobate and neither is His grace upon them for any blessing they receive from His Hand adds to their punishment. Better never to have been born than face a lavish God in your sins.

Why should He offer salvation to those predestined to Hell?
    Do you not understand this, 'But to this day the LORD has not given you a mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear.'? Dt 29:4.

Go back to my post and take me line by line please.

Any fooling comes from the wicked heart of man that wants anything but God as I showed you in my last post. I have the Lord God Almighty living in me you needn't call an alarm for me thanks. I trust my Christ.

You hold tenaciously to a doctrine supported by ambiguity. The 'World' can mean many different things but What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
    and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

RO 9:16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. RO 9:14-16.

The 'World' can mean many different things but Romans chapter nine 14-16 can mean only one.

john.

20. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member