1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Congrats to Peyton

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 5, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If the Chicago Bears had to lose, I am glad it was to the Colts and Peyton.

I am really glad to see Peyton win 2 big games in a row and take that monkey off his back.

Last year or the year before there was a poster on here that said Peyton would never win a big game and would always choke. I could not find his post on here, but I hope he still reads this and sees that I told him I would remind him when Peyton wins the big one :thumbs:

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I was glad to see them win, too. I think there might be more Super Bowls to come for Manning and the Colts, even playing in the tough AFC. They have learned how to win in different ways - on the road, in bad weather, coming from behind, etc. They are not the "finesse" team that people think they are. They dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball last night. I think Dungy will stay for one more year and try for a repeat. After that, I think he might retire.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I found it, Pastor.

From a poster named rozy who no longer posts here:

Peyton removed the hands from the throat; still has happy feet in the pocket; put up huge stats and won the championship. He's now in the zone that Elway was in after they beat the Packers where he can say, "Here's my ring. Now go away and leave me alone."

The Bears defense put up a valiant fight, but when you're depending on the linebackers and secondary to stop Addai and Rhodes because your defensive line is getting their rear ends kicked, you're going to lose. The Colts offensive line was in control of this game from about the 2nd quarter on. I can't think of one decent play that Brown, Ogunleye, Johnson, or anybody else on the Bears defensive line made.

The secondary got lit up on the TD to Wayne, but they mostly played well because they backed off so much. Peyton had his way with the short, underneath throws, but the big key was obviously the way they ran the ball and controlled the game.

Ultimately, the Bears lost because Indianapolis was a better team.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Thanks ccr, that was it.

I agree with your analysis too. The Colts were a better team.

It was a great year for the Bears. I hope people will leave Rex alone and let him continue to develop. I think they can continue to be a top team over the next few years.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

On Mike&Mike this morning, Greenberg brought up a column by Bill Plaschke who called Rex's performance the worst ever by a QB. I can't disagree more.

Plaschke is a master of bad sportswriting. There's a great site that dissects bad sportswriting (specific to, but not limited to, baseball) and Plaschke is a regular "contributor" to it. I won't give the site here, but PM me if anybody wants it.

Here are 4 bad performances by QBs in the Super Bowl and Grossman's performance. Without looking it up, guess which one is Grossman's.

4 of 15 for 39 yards with 4 interceptions
    0 of 6 for 0 yards, 1 fumble and 3 sacks
    6 of 17 for 71 yards with 3 interceptions (including one at the goal line)
    4 of 14 for 97 yards with 1 touchdown
    20 of 28 for 165 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions

That's hardly the worst performance by a Super Bowl QB. I think Rex will bounce back from this game. He's responded pretty well to all the negative stuff that's been said about him this season. Despite what many have said, Griese isn't the answer. Kyle Orton isn't the answer either. Griese hasn't led 2 previous teams anywhere and Grossman led his team to the Super Bowl. Losing to a team that has Peyton Manning at QB is nothing to be ashamed of.

This morning, Peter King wrote that the Bears would be foolish if they don't have anybody challenging Grossman for the starting QB job next season. Well, maybe Peter, but most people thought the Bears were foolish for not drafting players on offense last April too. The Bears have good players on offense and just need their QB to progress. If anything, the Bears need to shore up the run defense that was badly exposed last night.

Regardless, I'm willing to trust the future of my team in the hands of the head coach that built a team that just won the NFC Championship.

6. A&I

A&I New Member

Manning

I picked the Colts to win .I really liked both teams and their coach;s . If my Steelers can;t win it next year I would like to see the Bears win it . And with Rex at QB .