1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell'

There's probably some in Congress that would call it a pith from the lie of hell.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I just re-read your post to catch up with the gist of this thread, again. This time something jumped out at me in the paragraph above.

Before I get to that, I share your thoughts on why God didn't explain, which has left us wondering and speculating. The only conclusion that I can come to about the mystery of Genesis and many other mysteries in the Bible, is His expectation of our faith in Him. Faith that isn't based on scientific knowledge. Faith that isn't based on seeing Him perform miracles of parting the sea or turning one person's lunch into food for thousands. The ministry of His only begotton son, in the flesh, on this earth, who died and rose again provides the ultimate testimony.

With our faith in Jesus Christ, we no longer need to see manna from heaven or physically touch the wounds in His palms. Where is our faith if we continually need a burning bush that isn't consumed? Where is our faith if we can't *see* what He's already done? Electron microscopes show us the complexity of things so small the human eye can't see them without help. Telescopes show us the majesty that lies far beyond what we can see in the heavens, at night. With unaided eyes we can see more of His creation than we can take in. Like grains of sand on a beach it's all there for us to view and to accept that there's a mystery beneath what we can see on the surface. Faith is knowing there's more than what meets the eye. Knowing that God didn't reveal all to us, from the beginning, as there wouldn't have been a need for faith and trust in Him otherwise.

In the bold above in your post, IMO, you've left one thing out. There's another force present in this world. A force that can corrupt scientific research. A force, that when allowed by men's lack of faith, can formulate all sorts of theories that are fostered to deliberately deceive. Hath God said how He created an apple?

#102 Oldtimer, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thank you for posting that quote. I hadn't heard of the BioLogos movement before this thread began. I'll take a look at the additional links you posted when time permits. I've gotta get off this keyboard to see what God's will has in store for me today. I'm already running behind.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

OT,
    I have looked at some of this Congressman's voting record, and he appears to be fairly consistantly conservative. That is a good sign. I need to remember, and many on this board do, that each church has the right to make their own policies. If the congreagation of this local church felt it was ok to him to come and speak about Creation, then that is their right. Our objections would be limited to if a politician wanted to speak at our home church.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Following are some thoughts of Dr. Albert Mohler on the essential connection of Adam and Eve with the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

SN, I should have made it clear that I agree with you that each church as the right (and obligation!) to make their own policies. Whether I agree or disagree with a particular policy, that doesn't matter, from this standpoint. There should be no one outside of the assembly who has the right to tell them what they can and can't do in their service to our Lord.

My only "beef" for lack of a better term is why would a church forbid a "class" of people from giving what appears to be a sincere testimony of their faith in our Saviour. A year or so ago, our church ordained a man who previously had fit the stereotype of the "town drunk". No, our church wouldn't want one of the "town drunks" in the pulpit on Sunday morning. Yet, this particular one, hit rock bottom and came to Christ. He turned his life around and his life bears witness to his walk with God.

No, I can't see our church turning over the pulpit to most of the politicians in office today. However, I leave open the possibility that 1 in 10, or maybe 1 in 100 is a better number, is a true born again believer in our Lord. Again, IMO, we need that 1 in every 1,000 to give his testimony at every opportunity. The location of the microphone is secondary to allowing him those opportunities. Especially in view of how many venues are being closed today if a person wants to publically mention God.

Actors are another example. Probably 90-95%+ (guessing at a figure) would not be invited to speak to our congregation. However, I don't think we'd have a policy forbidding 100% of them. That leaves open the door for the possibility that there is an actor who's roles on and off screen indicate that he'd give a heartfelt testimony of God's presence in his life.

In any event, Saturneptune, whether we agree or disagree, I appreciate the opportunity for this discussion. I can't speak for anyone else. For me, when we can talk without resorting to things I won't mention, it helps me to better understand both sides. It helps to think through what I "think" I believe and stand for. Thank you.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Once again, thanks.

There's so much reading to do, as such a short time left to do it, compared to the years I could have but didn't. :tear:

Yet, I can't help but believe that I'm right where He wants me to be for reasons yet to be revealed. Thanks for your part in reinforcing 2 Tim 2:15 and Proverbs 2:3-6.