1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Congressman Ron Paul: Eliminate the Department of Homeland Security

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 15, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Or as it should more properly be called the Department of Homeland Insecurity or the Department of Homeland Stupidity.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Security, Washington-Style[/FONT]
    by Congressman Ron Paul

May 14, 2007
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Congress voted this past week to authorize nearly $40 billion for the Homeland Security Department, but the result will likely continue to be more bureaucracy and less security for Americans. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Five years into this new Department, Congress still cannot agree on how to handle the mega-bureaucracy it created, which means there has been no effective oversight of the department. While Congress remains in disarray over how to fund and oversee the department, we can only wonder whether we are more vulnerable than we were before Homeland Security was created.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I was opposed to the creation of a new Homeland Security Department from the beginning. Only in Washington would anyone call the creation of an additional layer of bureaucracy on top of already bloated bureaucracies “streamlining.” Only in Washington would anyone believe that a bigger, more centralized federal government means more efficiency.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]When Congress voted to create the Homeland Security Department, I strongly urged that – at the least – FEMA and the Coast Guard should remain independent entities outside the Department. Our Coast Guard has an important mission – to protect us from external threats – and in my view it is dangerous to experiment with re-arranging the deck chairs when the United States is vulnerable to attack. As I said at the time, “the Coast Guard and its mission are very important to the Texas Gulf coast, and I don’t want that mission relegated to the back burner in a huge bureaucracy."[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Likewise with FEMA. At the time of the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, I wrote “we risk seeing FEMA become less responsive as part of DHS. FEMA needs to be a flexible, locally focused, hands-on agency that helps people quickly after a disaster.” Unfortunately and tragically, we all know very well what happened in 2005 with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We know that FEMA’s handing of the disaster did in many cases more harm than good. FEMA was so disorganized and incompetent in its management of the 2005 hurricanes that one can only wonder how much the internal disarray in the Department of Homeland Security may have contributed to that mismanagement.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Folding responsibility for defending our land borders into the Department of Homeland Security was also a bad idea, as we have come to see. The test is simple: We just ask ourselves whether our immigration enforcement has gotten better or worse since functions were transferred into this super bureaucracy. Are our borders being more effectively defended against those who would enter our country illegally? I don’t think so.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Are we better off with an enormous conglomerate of government agencies that purports to keep us safe? Certainly we are spending more money and getting less for it with the Department of Homeland Security. Perhaps now that the rush to expand government in response to the attacks of 9/11 is over, we can take a good look at what is working, what is making us safer, and what is not. If so, we will likely conclude that the Department of Homeland Security is too costly, too bloated, and too bureaucratic. Hopefully then we will refocus our efforts on an approach that doesn’t see more federal bureaucracy in Washington as the best way to secure the rest of the nation.[/FONT]

- www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2007/tst051407.htm

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Here's a conservative platform I could support.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Something tells me he is going to end up on that list with Ted Kennedy and Cat Stevens........

Regards KenH - headed to Arkansas next month - hoping to take you up on the offer of a cup of coffee and some good Christian fellowship this time!
    BiR

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questions that certainly need to be asked, and not just about the DHS, but all other government bureaucracies as well.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes indeed! Let's eliminate the Dept. of Education, the Dept. of Health & Human Services, the Dept. of Housing & Urban Developement, and about 90% of whatever is remaining after that!

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Get rid of the Federal Reserve and the IRS the rest will follow in short order.

7. Baptist in Richmond

That'll never happen, Poncho....

Regards,
    BiR (I can see the FRB in Richmond out my living room window)

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree with eliminating DHS, IRS. I would eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts. We don't need the govt telling us what is art and what is not. I think DOE and HUD need major reforming.

BiR is right. None of this will happen.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Strongly disagree: we need more support for the arts. IMO, we need more funding for NEA.

I guess we can dream though, huh?

Regards - and GO VOLS,
    BiR (alum - University of Tennessee)

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed, but it should come from the citizenry. When government money comes, government regulations come with it. Hence, regulation of free-speech. The arts flourish in countries where they receive little to no govt. subsidy. When we have Veterans getting inadequate health-care, millions of children without health insurance, and poorly subsidized inner-city schools, I can't justify using federal monies to subsidize art shows.

Go Vols indeed!

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Eliminate the IRS, and folks would have more money to devote to things like the arts.

I'm a Fair Tax liberal. Is that contradictory?

:laugh:

12. Baptist in Richmond

Oh, no - sorry: I need to amplify my statement.
    The NEA should be supporting the arts at the school level. For example the endowment should be supporting music programs in our schools. You're right about the art shows.

I try to get back to that hallowed Hill in Tennessee every chance I get!

Regards,
    BiR

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

:laugh: Mike Gravel, D-AK, is a Fair Tax advocate I believe.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

This evening I feel like we should eliminate all of Congress and start over with a whole new bunch none of whom have served a day in any political office.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That's an idea I could get behind as well.

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It's one day later and I'm still of the same mind. It's good to know we agree on this one!