1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservative UMC Bishop Removes Pastors of San Francisco's Glide Memorial Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jerome, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/San-Francisco-s-Glide-Memorial-in-trouble-with-13005334.php
    Congregants revolt almost as soon as the bishop's representative starts talking (about the 24 minute mark):

2. Deadworm

Deadworm Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The video triggers 6 observations I'd like to share:
    (1) When you first press the video, you see nothing and hear the praise band warming up their instruments. But bear with it because it's amazing theater.
    (2) When the picture finally appears, you hear a very skilled band and choir singing songs similar in beat to old-time evangelical camp meeting songs. The atmosphere is joyful and harmonious.
    (3) Then comes the apocalypse! After some announcements, the district superintendent steps up and delivers the bad news about the reassignment of 2 of Glide's pastors--and all Hell breaks loose! I'm amazed that the superintendent would step into such a hornet's nest! And I'm amazed that a video of this fiasco would be made and circulated.
    (4) The hostilities mirror the bitter divide in the U. S. United Methodist Church. There is no openness to compromise on the issue of gay marriage and gay ordination and the denomination will soon convene a conference that will produce an epic break-up.
    (5) Despite the great divide, the evangelicals have the majority votes at the UMC churchwide conferences. That is because, while the often more liberal U. S. UM churches are slowly atrophying, there has been a great Methodist revival in 3rd world countries. So at a recent very liberal annual state conference, pro-gay legislation was passed. In reaction a visiting African UM bishop stood up and brazenly announced, "What you decide here is ultimately irrelevant. We have the delegates!"
    (6) I worked hard to keep my UM church in the conservative camp and even got the church renamed from "X United Methodist Church" to "X Community Church." I'm content that it will be very hard for another bishop to impose a pro- gay marriage pastor on my former church, but I fear what the upcoming schism will do to that church. I'm retired now, so all I can do is pray for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This action came way too late for Glide. It should have happened back in '63 with the dismissal of Cecil Williams.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dispute gets more serious with lawsuit

After Bishop Carcaño initiated disciplinary measures earlier this year, Glide Memorial attempted "to sever ties with the United Methodist Church", "stripping any mention of the denomination from its founding documents."

"Founded in 1929, Glide has become a fixture in San Francisco, receiving millions of dollars in city funds to perform charitable work, such as serving free meals daily to the poor and homeless. It is known across the country for its lively Sunday services, which draw a mixture of tourists, celebrities, power brokers and local residents."

"The lawsuit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court on Tuesday by the California-Nevada Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, centers on an 89-year-old agreement that places many of Glide’s assets in a trust for the United Methodist Church, a standard practice between local churches and parent denominations."