1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Conservatives again win the presidency of La. Baptist Convention

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Kiffin, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Rev. Steve James, the conservative candidate.
    and pastor of Trinity Baptist Church in Lake Charles, received 898 votes, while his challenger, supported by liberals, the Rev. Waylon Bailey,pastor of First Baptist in Covington, got 651.

The conservatives also won election to the first and second vice president positions.

The messengers Tuesday reiterated their position on the Bible by voicing their support for a resolution the Bible is without error.

"... the Bible is inerrant, infallible, true, trustworthy, without mixture of error and that singularly or together these words mean that every statement and word of the Scriptures is absolutely accurate concerning every field of knowledge it discusses," the resolution said.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

AMEN and AMEN! :D

3. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    AMEN and AMEN! :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Conservative candidate won here in NC as well.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Fanaticism and cults always grow--Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Roman Catholicism, Southern Baptist militant fundamentalism, etc.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dear Brother Wrenn, I would remind you that for many of us "Fundementalists" the election refered to here is a nullity. We could care less about the politics of the SBC and her subsidiaries. Further, those of us who consider ourselves "Historic Baptists" take umbrage at the tone of your posts. (My home church is 120 years old and hasn't changed a lick doctrinally.) If this sounds too harsh, so be it. Just be advised, I have a low tolerence for the lumping of non-modernist SBC men in with rank heretics and pagans on my forums.
    Hoping to shed more light than heat, I am yours, in His service,
    Robertsson

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: The Squire ]

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And I have a low tolerance with those who now control the SBC being lumped with "Historic Baptists." If you would like me to describe how the militant fundies in the SBC have abandoned historic Baptist principles, I'll be glad to do so.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Fanaticism and cults always grow--Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Roman Catholicism, Southern Baptist militant fundamentalism, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The absolute foolishness of this preposterous statement is so self evident that I won't bother replying. Wait, I just did didn't I? :D

My dear Michael, if I or another conservative responded to a liberal's election in this fashion, you'd be crying "foul," and accusing us of being "narrow" or "divisive" or "intolerant" or some other perjorative label. To tacitly infer that the grass-roots Southern Baptists (of which there are millions in the SBC) are guilty of being a cult equal to those you mentioned is despicable and unChristlike; and the reason you make this claim is that we dare disagree with you. I personally am very disappointed that you would stoop to such a tactic. It seriously undermines your credibility. :(
    I've always admired the piety of moderates and liberals even though I questioned their orthodoxy. Now you give me reason to even question the former as well as the latter.

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: TomVols ]

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Mr. Wrenn, you didn't get my hint. So, I'm closing this thread forthwith. I will not voice my opinion on this matter. It would be a matter better handled on the denominational board. I would, however, direct your attention to my word choice. I used the Fundementalist in connection with the Historic Baptists. I did not use the word Fundementalist in connection with the conservative members of the SBC.
    Hoping to shed more light than heat,
    Robertsson