1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Considering the problem of depression & discouragement!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim62, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

So depression is judgement?

To borrow a few of Jim62's examples:

1. Elijah... I King 19

2. Moses... Num. 11:11-15

3. Christ... Matt. 26:37-3

Tell me what were the sins that were the cause of their despair.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're the one who opened the worm can. :smilewinkgrin:

3. jim62

jim62 New Member

ARBO, your right, but I thought we were all adults here!:tear:

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, now you know better.:tongue3::laugh:

Seriously, I think (though untrained, I think I've enough experience) you've got it right in your opening post.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you slander my parents to illustrate your point? Oy! I guess you missed the two other threads filled with the same drivel ad nausum. I can't put the mind in a box.... The Bible never mentions mental illness.... Mental illness is immaterial..... Blah, blah, blah.

What about malaria? I've scoured my Bible but fail to find the word malaria anywhere. Malaria has killed millions of people around the world. Earliest mentions of the disease are found in ancient writings from around 2300 BC. Scientists were not able to identify it in the blood until the 19Th Century. Based on your and Fred's argument, folks were dying of sin and not malaria. Why? Because the Bible doesn't mention it and there was no way to test for its existence. It had to be Divine punishment because there was no evidence to prove otherwise. Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

In the case of malaria, they were able to recognize symptoms - an established pattern of evidence that something was wrong. By accident or Providence Jesuit missionaries discovered the bark of the Peruvian tree Cinchona boiled into a tea was able to relieve the symptoms. For hundreds of years they treated an unseen illness with a chemical they did not understand and it worked.

As for my parents: My Momma died on my birthday. Thanks for dredging up that pleasant memory. My Papa is in a nursing home with dementia. He doesn't recognize me nor does he remember being married to Mama for 66 years. There's no way to test definitively for his illness so I guess in your world he is merely suffering the consequences of his sin.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you havent read my bio.....LOL. That is no excuse....I got friends coming over expecting clam cake sauce.:(

7. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize. I read your OP and have used much of the same providing in service training to mental health professionals. It's good stuff and worthy of discussion. Unfortunately, this is the third thread in as many weeks interrupted by someone who does not want to have a discussion. Maybe we can grab a cup of coffee and find a quiet corner to actually discuss the OP.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Ive said before padre, aint nothing funnier than a big-mouthed christian & more nasty ..... to think, momma attacks.....come on now, WWJD. "Yo Momma" ....certainly NOT! :eek:

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Malaria is a physical illness which can be diagnosed with lab tests.

To date, there has never been a prognosis of 'mental illness' been established via lab tests.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats because the mind is too complex & the medical "if you want to call it a profession" is too stupid to diagnose it adequately....so I guess your excuse is just plain ignorance.

11. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Malaria was first mentioned in writings from 2300 BC. That's a fact. Check the CDC's website. There was not a test for malaria until the 1800's. That, too is a fact. The CDC will back me on that also. You used two very important words, though.... TO DATE. There is not a lab test for mental illness TO DATE. There was not a lab test for malaria for at nearly 4000 years ! Using your argument, malaria was a result of sin until scientist came up with a lab test to prove it was an illness.

Nice re-write of Romans 14:23 "...for whatsoever is not of faith or lab test is sin."

12. Steadfast Fred

Your reasoning is flawed due to one important factor that you keep forgetting.]

The mind is not a material thing and therefore cannot be diseased.

So while I can safely say there is no lab test to date that can prove mental illness, I can also attest, without reservations, that no future lab test will prove mental illness.

It is impossible to do a lab test on the mind.

13. Steadfast Fred

Something I have learned over the years...

In the medical field diseases are discovered.
    In the psychiatric field, disorders are invented.

14. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

I don't know why I'm doing this. The better part of 30 pages elsewhere on BB was spent
    on this.
    2Cor.4:7
    But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us;
    in every [way] having been troubled, but not having been hemmed in; having been perplexed, but not utterly at a loss;
    having been persecuted, but not having been forsaken; having been thrown down, but not having been destroyed;
    always bearing about the dying of the Lord Jesus in the body, so that the life of Jesus also might be revealed in our body.
    For we who live are always being delivered to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus might also be revealed in our body.
    Paul speaks of being "troubled, perplexed, persecuted, thrown down"...

Troubled
    Original: θλίβω
    Transliteration: Thlibo
    Phonetic: thlee'-bo
    Definition:
    1. to press (as grapes), press hard upon
    2. a compressed way
    a. narrow straitened, contracted
    3. metaph. to trouble, afflict, distress

Perplexed
    Original: ἀπορέω
    Transliteration: Aporeo
    Phonetic: ap-or-eh'-o
    Definition:
    1. to be without resources, to be in straits, to be left wanting, to be embarrassed, to be in doubt, not to know which way to turn
    2. to be at a loss with one's self, be in doubt
    3. not to know how to decide or what to do, to be perplexed

Persecuted
    Original: διώκω
    Transliteration: Dioko
    Phonetic: dee-o'-ko
    Definition:
    1. to make to run or flee, put to flight, drive away
    2. to run swiftly in order to catch a person or thing, to run after
    a. to press on: figuratively of one who in a race runs swiftly to reach the goal
    b. to pursue (in a hostile manner)
    3. in any way whatever to harass, trouble, molest one
    a. to persecute
    b. to be mistreated, suffer persecution on account of something
    4. metaph., to pursue
    a. to seek after eagerly, earnestly endeavour to acquire

Thrown down
    Original: καταβάλλω
    Transliteration: Kataballo
    Phonetic: kat-ab-al'-lo
    Definition:
    1. to cast down
    a. to throw to the ground, prostate
    2. to put in a lower place

While Paul and those with him did not come to the ultimate end of being trouble, etc.,he does not say they were totally delivered from those things.

Though they weren't hemmed in they were still troubled. (being distressed) or 'stressed'

Not utterly at a loss they still were perplexed. (experiencing doubt and embarrassed)

Not forsaken but still feeling mistreated.

Not destroyed but still 'cast down'.

There may be environmental, dietary, and other causes for much of the increase in some of these problems today. They didn't have pills ( as we know them) and psychiatrists. They also did not have the pollution we have. We know that later in the history of Rome that lead poisoning from the pipes supplying water caused much of what we call 'mental illness. I know.. that's why I said 'what we call...' My guess is Christians were not immune. Symptoms of lead poisoning are:
    High blood pressure
    Declines in mental functioning
    Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities
    Muscular weakness
    Headache
    Abdominal pain
    Memory loss
    Mood disorders
    Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm
    Miscarriage or premature birth in pregnant women
    Irritability
    Loss of appetite
    Weight loss
    Sluggishness and fatigue
    Abdominal pain
    Vomiting
    Constipation
    Learning difficulties
    Most likely your Bible remedies would not have helped anyone's Mood disorders or irritability, which were not caused by sin in their lives.

15. Steadfast Fred

The new DSM-IV has 374 disorders listed in it. If a psychiatrist cannot find a disorder to label someone with, they do have one in the manual that is a failsafe for them.... Unrecognized Disorder - when all other categories do not fit.

They gotta get the money out of you some way or another. ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcuhhJ1BaMk

16. Steadfast Fred

My Bible tells me they were not distressed, yet you say they were?

Great... so you've got Paul and his company depressed. Now show us where he went to a psychiatrist or took mind altering drugs.
    My Bible reveals to me that Jesus is the answer to all of mankind's problems. I guess yours must point to the psychiatrist?

#76 Steadfast Fred, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  17. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

no it does not. Your guess is wrong.
    Is that your response to my 2cents worth?
    I could be mistaken, but I thought I had some legitimate points which were posted in a respectful manner and warranted more than what looks to be a slough-off remark. Jesus is the answer to all of mankind's problems, but he is not the one that answers a 911 call for me if I need my appendicts taken out. He has given doctors who will be at the hospital.
    Again Are you just going to slough off a serious, respectfully posted point?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are mixing apples and oranges out of desperation.

19. Steadfast Fred

freeatlast, watch that video I just gave a link to. It is nearly 2 hours, but has a lot of interesting info.

You should get a chuckle or two at some of the idiocy that the psychiatrists have people believing.

20. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

I am not desperate. It is interesting FAL that you presume to know my motives. I am making an attempt at respect in some legitimate questions for Stedfast Fred.
    Is this all you have to offer me by way of an answer FAL? Do you think you can make an attempt at affording me the same courtesy?

#80 fortytworc, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.