1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Considering the problem of depression & discouragement!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim62, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

I must log off for now. I do want to answer you.

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the mind is immaterial and cannot be tested in a lab nor proven then only one conclusion can be drawn: it does not exist. :BangHead:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you, I will look at it. It is interesting how many in the church have been deceived, into the false premise that mental illness is the cause of peoples behavior when in fact sin is the cause. I say deceived but the truth is that many seek to cling to this false teaching to keep from taking responsibility for their sin and confessing and turning from it. This is a spiritual issue not a medical issue. In many cases it is because of forgiveness. In others it is trusting the Lord through difficult times and in some it is just anger they want to hang on to as bullies. There are many other reasons but it is always sin based.
    I will admit that pills can mask the symptoms, but they never deal with the underlying issue and that is sin. Until the person is ready to deal with the sin they will remain trapped in their sin falsely labeled Mental illness.
    I would add that there is no question that prolonged periods of time where a person does not confess and forsake their sin can lead to trapping them into that sin and add to the driving forces in their lives making it ever more difficult to escape. However the bottom line issue is spiritual and that is what has to be dealt with to overcome the problem being diagnosed as mental illness, not pills, shock treatment, or constant counseling. The things we see in the lives of people diagnosed as mental illness are all sin related.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes if you cannot or refuse to accept the truth that would be a logical conclusion.

5. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Then prove to me the mind exists.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Prove to me that God exists.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I probably need to add to this. I at no time am suggesting that pills, shock treatment, or counseling is not needed in some peoples lives to keep them from doing harm to themselves or others. I am saying those things never fix the problem. As long as they refuse to deal with the real issue, sin, they may need to be controlled by other measures. Those things only mask or control the person to some degree not fix the problem. The bottom line issue is a spiritual issue and needs to be dealt with spiritually. That is the only cure for their problems.
    The problem in this discussion is that a vast number of people and even pastors have bought the lie about mental illness and no longer treat the problem as it should be which is dealing with the persons sin.

#87 freeatlast, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  8. jim62

jim62 New Member

EARTH, WIND & FIRE, Be a man and tell me what your running from. Did a Christian burn you and that's why your acting the way U R? YOU CAN TALK TO ME I'M HERE TO HELP YOU!

9. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith and empirical evidence.

Job 19:25-26 KJV
    25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
    26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Now prove to me the mind exists.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So if a person has faith that sticking pins into dolls makes someone sick is that also empirical evidence?

11. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

The Word of God proves the mind exists. Do you want to argue with God's Word?

12. jim62

jim62 New Member

NO that's called witchcraft, and that's no joke!

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That does not answer the question

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that proves what and how our mind works is our responsibility, it is a choice, not some Doctor's who pushes pills and other things.

15. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on Free. You're better than that.

Lo, he goeth by me, and I see him not: he passeth on also, but I perceive him not.
    Job 9:11 KJV

But that does not keep Job from believing that God exists. He points to the sun, the mountains and stars and sees the hand of God.

I'm trying to understand this fear of science. A belief in science is not an absolute rejection of the existence of God. Insulin does not cure a diabetic. It treats symptoms by altering chemical balances in the body. We accept that and move on praying for either a cure or a miracle or both. Why do we take this one topic and divorce it from rational discussion?

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This is not about believing. I am responding to your accusation that the mind cannot be proven to exist. Prove to us all that God is using your own parameters.

17. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but I'd argue with the way you use it.

Thayer's defines mind as "the faculty of perceiving and judging". Where does that happen? Does it float arbitrarily throughout the body? Does it exist outside the body? Where is it seated?

18. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not use my parameters. You might want to rephrase that last sentence.

19. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Agreed!
    That we have a mind, there is no doubt. That our minds should be controlled by Christ instead of mind-altering drugs... again no doubt.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am talking about your parameters not God's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.