1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemplative Prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jun 18, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey Crabtown,

This subject has perked my interest enough to desire to "get to the bottom of this" so to speak. This would include, for me, an examination of some of the modern practices of centering prayer, comparing that to ancient mysticism, eastern mysticism, and the movement and its influence on Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Evangelical churches. You want to track with me on this? Since you are apparantly "for" all of this, are you wanting to follow along with this subject, adding to it, et?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

what ancient mystical pratices does it entail using?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure ... do a google search on the "desert fathers." Some of their writings have some wonderful stuff in them. I do not consider myself a mystic and I do not pray contemplatively nearly as often as I think I should. But i do respect those early Chrisians who did and who wrote.

Here are a few quotes:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That has another name. That is called:

Prayer

Although I would add that I acknowledged that God is present at salvation. I hav never needed to wait on that to happen again.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, who mentioned salvation?

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Eastern meditation technique. Here are some examples. My two sources are an eastern meditation website and the centering prayer website.

Eastern Mesitation: http://www.metta.org.uk/meditate/sitting.asp

Centering Prayer: http://www.centeringprayer.com/methodcp.htm

I will refer to them as EM and CP.

EM: Concerning sitting meditation they write, "So while first sitting it is sometimes useful to find something to occupy the mind repetitively, many people focus on the breath - noticing inhale / exhale."

CP: Choose a sacred word as the symbol of your intention to consent to God’s presence and action within. Instead of a sacred word a simple inward glance toward the Divine Presence or noticing one’s breath may be more suitable for some persons. The same guidelines apply to these symbols as to the sacred word.

EM: Most of us struggle to let go of thoughts - what will I do about... Oh I know, I could, or maybe someone else can. Then I could... life would be great if they could understand... Perhaps I'll try... This is how the mind works, it has the unceasing capacity to think - good thing too otherwise there would not be any works here to read! (Note: The point here is to get the mind to stop thinking)

CP: Having chosen a sacred word, we do not change it during the prayer period because that would be to start thinking again. (Note: Again, it is to get the mind to stop thinking.)

EM: The other major distraction to meditation is the process of sitting - am I doing it right, the itch on the end of my nose etc. Dealing with this is a balance between real discomfort and distracting yourself. If you are really uncomfortable then consider what is required to rectify it before moving - move with the purpose of dealing with the discomfort and return to sitting - return to the breath.

CP: We may notice slight pains, itches, or twitches in various parts of the body or a generalized sense of restlessness. These are usually due to the untying of emotional knots in the body. We may notice heaviness or lightness in our extremities. This is usually due to a deep level of spiritual attentiveness. In all cases we pay no attention and ever- so-gently return to the sacred word.

EM: If you are new to meditation try starting of with 5 - 10 minutes every day or less, if you can, try to extend this to 15 - 20 or even 30 - 45 minutes over time.

CP: The minimum time for this prayer is 20 minutes. Two periods are recommended each day, one first thing in the morning and the other in the afternoon or early evening. With practice the time may be extended to 30 minutes or longer.

The two are obviously very similar and are sharing the same practices and purposes with different focuses. Eastern meditation is usually grounded in Buddhism. Centering prayer is trying to use these easter techniques/practices and focus on Jesus. In centering prayer the "sacred word" isn't necessary. Just like eastern meditation one's breath may be used.