1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary vs. Traditional Music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by rustynail, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rustynail

rustynail New Member

Sice we are all Baptists here, what kind of worship music do you like? Contemporary, or the traditional old style hymns? At my Baptist church, we have a praise team that will start the service with contemporary music, for the rest of the service we sing the old style hymns. Since I actually like both contemporary music and the old hymns, I really enjoy the music experience.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

This is not a Baptist only forum. In a corporate worship setting, I like all music that is used to worship and glorigy God. "When I Survey the Wondrus Cross", "How Great Thou Art", "Worthy of Worship" are a few of my favorite music selections.

3. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

We have a mix of both, I like the traditional because its what I know the words to...but I also like the Contemporary Songs but I'm just not as familiar with the songs... but every now and then I become familiar with one of the new songs and I really like it... I really need to buy some of those WOW CDs and become more familiar with the newer songs.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At one point in time, our "traditional" songs were "contemporary" for their time.

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I like contemporary for night service. I would rather have a traditional morning one.

6. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Rusty Nail,

At my church, we have 2 services on Sunday. The 8:15 am service's music is all traditional hymns and classical music pieces played for the prelude,offeratory, and postlude after the recessional hymn.

At the 11am services,the same hymns and classical pieces are used as at the 8:15 as well as contemporary worship music,played by our "P&W" group (of which I am a member).

All of the music used is prayerfully selected to support the Scripture readings and the sermon topic.

In Christ,

Dale

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Traditional.
    But not all of them. Some are terrible, doctrinally speaking.

In HIS service;
    Jim

8. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey,

I like both. My church is mostly traditional but they do try to do some contemporary. My pastor even talked me into playing one of the songs I wrote on my guitar one Sunday night. In my opinion both have their place in worship as long as they are doctrinally sound and don't go overboard.

In Christ,

Brooks

9. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

My church sings nothing but hymnals. The only contemporary style music we get in there is when my cousin Ryan is in town and he does a song or when I do one of my songs which is about once a month.

To me i guess it all depends on the setting. But I personally prefer the more contemporary style of worship. But there are some songs out there that will incorporate both. Perfect example of that is the song Grace Like Rain

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

In the last few weeks, our church has had hymns only in the 8:30 service and a hymn or two with lots of the CCM songs in the second service. It's TOO much. The CCM songs are on the screen and run one right after the other. If you don't know them, you have to read the screen and guess the music. How can that be worship??

I like a well blended service tho.

I don't want to attend the 8:30 service because it lets out right at S/S time and there will be no one in my classroom to greet my 4 year olds.

11. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

At our old church we were starting to do some contemporary choruses mixed in with traditional hymns. Most were very nice but many of them also seemed to be a little too repetitive...at our new church since we moved north we sing only traditional hymns. Personally, I like that much better.

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Traditional.

13. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

I love worship music. I do not mind the hymns but I really like contemporary. I usually sing the contemporary songs that we do. Like last night the youth did two hymns and then we do two songs.
    I would love to have more blinded worship services.
    Kristen

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

a blinded worship service would be interested, I prefer a more blended one ;) [​IMG]

15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I LOVE good traditional hymns with a full orchestral accompaniment--strings, piano, etc. and we can't forget the organ (my favorite church music instrument).

When I hear "Holy, Holy, Holy" or "A Mighty Fortress is our God" resounding through the organ, sometimes I get chills.

I absolutely CANNOT STAND much of contemporary worship music. Some of the lyrics make no sense to me (e.g. "pour down like dew" --dew doesn't pour down, it condenses), and I generally dislike repetitiveness. Even so, some are very good, and I enjoy them. I have no problem with contemporary music; I just think contemporary music's standards aren't anywhere near as high as for hymns, the reason being that hymns have had hundreds of years of more competition than contemporary songs.

Also, I enjoy good hymns done in a contemporary fashion, so long as the performers do not butcher the arrangement.

Overall, I like good traditional and good blended worship services the best, but if anyone likes contemporary, to each his own, I wish you well.

16. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Compare:
    Isaac Watts,
    Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
    Save in the death of Christ. my God!
    All the vain things that charm me most,
    I sacrifice them to His blood.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
    That were a tribute far too small;
    Love so amazing. so divine.
    Demands my soul, my life, my all.

With:

Lead me in Your everlasting way,
    Lead me in Your everlasting way.

or this:

There is no God but Jehovah (16 times)

or this:

I Love you, Lord.
    I love you,
    I love you.
    I love you Lord ( If arms skyward, head back and eyes closed, repeat several times)

I like very little contemporary music aimed at the worship of my God.

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

Great example. Reminds me of the here kitty-kitty song. Yo, Pete! Lay down the groove.

18. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repetitive songs like the ones hillclimber mentioned really inhibit my ability to worship God. I get too distracted by the incessant repetition that I lose all focus on what I should be doing.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I exault thee
    I exault thee
    I exault thee, oh oh Lord

I exault thee
    I exault thee
    I exault thee, oh oh Lord

20. Karen

Karen Active Member

Maybe. Here is part of a chorus often sung at Christmas and Easter.

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia... ;)

Karen