1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary vs Traditional Services

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Berean, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

My church is faced with the possibility of going to two separate worship services, a contemporary and a traditional. Presently we are having two separate but like services, (blended). This has met resistance from both groups. I personally would like to see a trad. & cont. I personally prefer the trad but can tolerate the cont. I would rather have either then a blended. One of my objections is the continual standing and sitting. More ups and downs then a Jane Fonda Workout. I would like to hear your experience with either or both

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I do not know your church, so I'm definitely not being judgmental here, but I do wonder whether it can be right for a church to hold separate services for people with differing tastes in music.

3. standingfirminChrist

I agree David. I think of the Church and reflect on the verse in Revelation "I would that you were hot or cold; if you are lukewarm I will spew you out of my mouth.

I do not care for blended, but I also do not like the modern rock and roll flavor type of songs we hear in many contemporary Churches today.

My advice? Seek ye out the old paths and walk therein.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Actually, I think the distiction between "contemporary" and "traditional" can be false. "Contemporary" does not necessarily "happy-clappy," or rock-and-roll style music; there are hymn-writers today who are writing hymns with godly, biblical and reverent words and music. Such hymns as Vernon Higham's "Great is the Gospel of our Glorious God" are modern examples of "walking in the old paths".

5. standingfirminChrist

Agreed.

When I say contemporary, I think of the cd's of groups like Building 429, Audio Adrenaline, etc.

I myself have written a few songs that I believe line up with Scripture such as "In A Moment" based on 1 Corinthians 15 and 1 Thessalonians 4.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Oh dear! I haven't even heard of those. I am glad we are agreed.

Just out of interest, did you compose the music for these, too?

7. standingfirminChrist

I have sheet music for only one of my songs, although I sing several others from time to time without the music.

If you are interested, I can send you the sheet music for "In A Moment

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no problem in changing the methods of presenting Christ as long as the message isn't changed. In fact, services have to be different in different countries as their cultures are different. But the message is universal!

One of the problems Europeans have had is when American missionaries arrive and insist that an American type service must be held. It does not fit the culture and is thus with little or no meaning to many people.

The Georgia [European Georgia] Baptist completely did away with the Amreican type service. In 100 years about ten churches had survived. After changing the services in the early 90's the number of churches has grown to about 100.

9. standingfirminChrist

Here are the lyrics. If ya are interested in the sheet music, let me know.

In A Moment

God gave us a promise, it's written in His Word
    When the angel blows the trumpet the saints will leave the earth
    We shall meet our Savior as we rise up in the air
    He'll take us to His home above where His glory we shall share.

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye
    The graves will burst open and the dead in Christ will fly
    Then we which are alive in Him will be caught up in the sky
    We'll be changed in a moment in the twinkling of an eye.

Jesus said, 'In this world, you'll suffer many things'
    But no matter what the trial, keep trusting in His name
    One day He's coming for us, what a joy that will be
    When He shall clothe our mortal lives with immortality!

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye
    The graves will burst open and the dead in Christ will fly
    Then we which are alive in Him will be caught up in the sky
    We'll be changed in a moment in the twinkling of an eye.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Personally I like Audio Adrenaline, Switch Foot, Skillet, Casting Crowns, The Newsboys, etc.. The music is certainly not traditional but the message is right on target.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have what would be considered a "contemporary service" but what we do for the sitting/standing thing is to do a time of worship in the beginning - usually 4 songs where we all stand, then we prayer, welcome and announcements (which I wish we could ditch) where we all sit. After announcements is the offering with a "special music", where we are still sitting then we stand for the offering consecration and 1 or 2 more worship songs. Finally we're at the sermon and it's all sitting from here. So in our service, you stand twice and that's it. I found we used to stand more in the old Presbyterian church that we used to go to. Up, down, up, down, LOL.

I know churches who do blended services, contemporary services and traditional services and they're all solid churches. I guess it really depends on what the church make-up is like and the style that the congregation prefers and connects with. I'm not that into the traditional songs much. It's OK but not the style of worship I prefer. It's not bad at all and I feel it's wonderful that there are sister churches out there who will do these services to meet the preferences of their own congregants. If they're worshipping the Lord, and are seeking His will, that's what matters.

12. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Your post is right on target!

I like a more blended style of worship. I am not sure that all the standing and sitting has anything to do with style of worship, though I am well aware of the fact I could be wrong. I grew up in a traditional style church and we were always standing and sitting and standing some more.

The reason I prefer blended is that it allows me to enjoy all styles.

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do 2 different types of services. One is "all hymns, all the time", the other is more contemporary using piano, guitars. Nothing hard or edgy in that service because that is not this area.

When you go to 2 services, be prepared for:
    1. People not liking that "their" service is at a time more convenient for them. We had people who complained when we did the blended service because they wanted hymna alone. Then they left when we did that but it was not at the time they wanted.

2. You will begin to have 2 diferent churches meeting on the same location. That's not just because of a traditional/contemp split. It just happens as people go only to 1 service. They lose contact with those at other services. You have to develop opportunities for the people to interact.

3. The contemporary service will be harder to do because it is not just a service with guitars etc. There are elements of drama and media that you don't do in a traditional tyope service. It will be hard work that will demand more of your attention as Pastor.

4. Preach the same sermon in each service. The Word is to be the constant, the method can change.

Before you start a contemporary service, make certain that it fits the people you want to start the service for. You motive for starting it is important. If it's just to be trendy, don't! But if you do it right, you will begin to slowly attract more people.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, in following SFIC's advice...

• Be sure and judge people's spirituality based on their tastes in worship styles. God loves it when His people take on the role of the Holy Spirit. Then He can take a vacation. :rolleyes:
    • "stick to the old paths." This means abandoning the contemporary AND traditional service, as neither are that old. Instead, meet in a local cave or graveyard. Meet daily for worship and bread-breaking. Do not sing polyphonically. Ditch the guitar, drums, piano, organ, and all other "new" instruments.
    Or.....your church can let the Holy Spirit be the guide.

15. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

Anything wrong with that? Seems to me that there is a promise if you do what God says here.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

An excellent post!

A couple of other thoughts:
    • You can be sensitive/flexible on the "too much standing" issue--with regards to how the service is structured, "instructions" could be given by the leadership, etc.
    • Bathe the whole process in prayer. So many times, that is a forgotten thing.
    • We went to a contemporary & traditional separate services (a long process...short explanation: we ran out of room!). Both have grown...a key for us is that we have worked at giving the Lord our very best in both services. We do not allow one service to get all our attention, and the other become an "afterthought."

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

There's a lot wrong with it when you insist on telling God precisely what the "old paths" are. I doubt that "old paths" are restricted to one era's style of music and worship order/setting. And yes....that applies to 2008 as well as 1950.

18. standingfirminChrist

We did not tell God, He told us.

Seek ye out the old paths where is the good way.

That means any path that is not that particular path God told Jeremiah to go is not the good way.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I doubt Jeremiah's "old paths" included a piano. How can we then use one?

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

We don't know what kind of instruments it included. We are not saying musical instruments do not belong in a church setting. What we are emphasizing is the style of music. Do you believe God meant feeding the soul with Rock and Roll music as being the "old paths"?