1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Contemporary worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Craigbythesea, Oct 17, 2005.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

And there is contemporary songs that are not upbeat also.
    The lyrics are the song, and extremely important.

2. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, all of you "traditionalists" out there, what existed before all the treasured hymns you love so much? Hey, I'll bet that at one point in time those traditional hymns were considered contemporary, weren't they? Of course they were. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that people were having the same discussion about them as we're having about comtemporary praise music today.

Probably in another couple hundred years (should the Lord tary that long), some new style of music will come along, and people will compare it to the "traditional music" that is considered contemporary today.

Anyway, that's my 2 cent view.

God Bless!!!

Adam

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Wow, sounds like the "scripture twister" pot calling the kettle black.
    Negro spirituals have upbeat rhythms, and many of them were written 150 or more years ago. The classic hymn "I Will Sing of the Mercies" has an upbeat rhythm to it. Beat alone does not a "worldly" tune make.

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Negro spirituals have upbeat rhythms, and many of them were written 150 or more years ago. The classic hymn "I Will Sing of the Mercies" has an upbeat rhythm to it. Beat alone does not a "worldly" tune make.

That is very true. It is not about contemporary or traditional, it all about how you worship and praise. The music does not matter, the lyrics matter. In fact, many black churches take what many consider "traditional" hymns and sing them with guitars and drums, etc. I find "black" gospel music very moving and inspiring, and I do not equate it with secular music. Regardless of the style of music the goal should be PRAISING the Lord.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm big on 6th century contemporary music. Those Gregorian chants rock! ;)

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

one problem.... contemporary music has an upeat rythm to it.

Music has always been defined by the times it is written in. What you consider "old" today, was probably "popular" when it was written.

What is wrong with being "upbeat" when it comes to praising the Lord? What is "wordly" about a song, ANY song, that praises God?

I tend to like traditional services because that is what I know, but worship shouldn't be about what I want. It should be about praising God, studying God, winning souls to God. If a contemporary service can lead the youth of the world to God before they totally mess up their worldly lives in sinful ways - lets make them all contemporary.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Texas Sky,

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two thumbs up!

8. esther

esther New Member

I would much prefer my youngsters listening to rock with a good message than a tune that is easy listening but has a negative message. The brain processes the input regardless of the accompaniment.

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I for one am not looking forward to the day when contemporary Christian music is Rap and Hip Hop! Can you imagine an entire sanctuary rapping How Great Thou Art??

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or this? ;)

Baby Got Book

I've never been a rap or hip hop fan, but believe it can be used in a worshipful way in some cultural contexts.

I'm a big techno/ambient fan and one of my favourite CDs is from a Christian group called Rivertribe. There are no lyrics at all in most techno/ambient songs.

I also like other older styles of music that are quite similar to techno/ambient like Gregorian chant and Baroque.

11. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Dude! You're not even close. You want to see a scripture twister go look in mirror! New Song -
    Hebrew - chadash: new, new thing, fresh; and shiyr - song, lyric song, religious song. Makes absolutely no reference to the heart condition of person singing. Now, in Psalm 33 he does begin by addressing himself to the righteous. And I would definately agree that for worship to be pleasing to God, it must flow from a redeemed heart. But you can't deny that Scripture repeatedly commands us to offer our praise in new and fresh songs.

Also, I really appreciate the Christlike spirit you displayed in calling me carnal and saying that I have compromised. You are definately one class act, buddy.

12. guitarpreacher

Hey Sample,

I wouldn't really call what we do rock and roll, though I'm sure some here would. Here's our order from last week.
    1. Marvelous Light (Charlie Hall)
    2. Stand and Sing (Jeremy Paul)
    3. I'll Fly Away (the classic, done similar to the way Jars of Clay does it)
    4. How Great is our God (Chris Tomlin)
    5. Holy Is The Lord (Chris Tomlin)

It was a pretty kicking worship service. And the preaching that followed wasn't half bad either [​IMG]

13. Rachel

Rachel New Member

There are some places that do. There are many different types of congregations out there. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

God made us all different and some people complain because we're not all them.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's what they used to say about Rhythm & Blues. Then came the Blind Boys of Alabama, who proved us all wrong.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

guitarpreacher says: "Christian music existed long before secular music was ever thought of. So who is leading? "

I guess he never read this!
    Ge 4:21
    And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

I suppose yer gonna tell me that Jubal was a 'christian'?

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

[​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes:

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Sounds like I need to pick up a Blind boys CD - I love R&B! My comment was actually in jest. My biggest problem with Rap is the dehumanization of women and the glorification of violence in much of Rap music - I suprise the kids from time to time when I actually know one of thier songs.

I have told my kids from day one that for some reason Rap music would not play in my car!!

Although as rap is typically a solo type event - can you imagine an entire congregation rapping along together??

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is it different than what Psalm 150 mentions?

19. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or this? ;)

Baby Got Book

I'm a big techno/ambient fan and one of my favourite CDs is from a Christian group called Rivertribe. There are no lyrics at all in most techno/ambient songs.

I also like other older styles of music that are quite similar to techno/ambient like Gregorian chant and Baroque.
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] Baby Got Book and I cannot lie.. funny. :D

20. guitarpreacher

What are you talking about??? I never said that. I think gb93433 may have said something like that. Try to pay attention, we're not that hard to keep straight. I'm the really good looking one [​IMG]