1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Controllers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This morning, on the radio, I heard an interesting thought. People that want to compel others to believe as they do are weak in faith. At the other end of the spectrum are those who present the gospel as best they can with all needed preparation and follow-up (watering) but accept that what the people do with the gospel is their choice.

Estimates vary but usually somewhere between 15% and 25% of the general populous see themselves as controllers, they want to tell others what to do.

How does the Bible tell us to effectively witness to those who have not only made up their own minds, they want to determine how everyone else should believe as well?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of a number of people on this board.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the Baptist distinctives is the belief in the separation of church and state. In other words, those that govern should not dictate doctrine. The "top down" denominations (RCC, Presbyterians etc) believe that those that govern should dictate doctrine. On the other hand, Baptists join organizations (SBC) but remain autonomous, we believe we should not be compelled to be like other Baptist churches..

Having said that, what supports either view, that we find in scripture?

4. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately I do not like to be told what to do. But do not like to tell others. As really if giving the choice. Rather take orders than give them. It is a pet peeve of mine. Control freaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

[​IMG] Gal 5:23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

[​IMG] 2Ti 3:3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,

[​IMG] 2Pe 1:6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,

It seems Christians should nurture self control and eschew compulsion.

6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

This is so true. It's usually because of doubt, shame or fear, so they try to cover that up by attempting to convince others to their way of thinking. After all, if noone disagrees with you, you can't be wrong... right?

I used to do it when I was a huge proponent of WOTM. I couldn't live up to my own preaching, but I figured if I convinced everyone around me I was right, I wouldn't have any dissenters.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must agree with you, everyone that actually engages in presenting God's truth feels a twinge of hypocrisy. But scripture addresses that issue. We are to do our dead level best to become "Christ-like" and even though we are well aware of our short-comings, we are to do our best to present the gospel, without hindering it with self righteousness or hypocrisy. We are to till the ground, plant the seed, water and trust that God will cause the increase.